DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
I have had this issue for well over 6 years now. :mad:
Changed out all the rubber hoses near the evap canister and the gas cap. Still happens. :ugh
However....check this out......I do not get any errors if I keep my gas tank full.:confused:
Soon as the tank drops to around 3/4 full, the codes pop back.
Gross and small leaks detected.
Anyone have a clue here? :dunno:
Does the fuel tank have any other hoses other than the large filler hose into the tank, that could possibly be leaking?
I don't understand how by keeping the fuel tank full stops the codes. :help:
Al

PS.....I have no petrol leaks from any split hose/s

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
gas cap ? how about the rubber o-ring that seals the pump assembly into the tank ?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Changed out all the rubber hoses near the evap canister and the gas cap. Still happens. :ugh
However....check this out......I do not get any errors if I keep my gas tank full.:confused:
Does the fuel tank have any other hoses other than the large filler hose into the tank, that could possibly be leaking?
Al

Have you ever thought about upgrading to the larger 36-gallon fuel tank? The stuff the tank aside from the pump assembly cannot be served. You could swap the tank and see if that's where your problem is located. While you're doing the swap, you'll have to pull your pump assy out and move it to the bigger tank. While it's out you can check that assy as well.

:dunno: ... just a thought.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Al

This sounds like the leak detection pump! Replace that and try! Should be about $40.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Cheers for the ideas guys.
Al. :)

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Keep us posted, OK?

:)

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Will do.
But I live in the UK and parts are eye wateringly expensive.
I'm crawling underneath to have a look later next week, as works hectic at the moment.
Al.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP! 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.... I have the small leak error code/check engine light and gas cap light on. I've replaced the gas cap (with a dealership cap) had all hoses and clamps checked and had the system smog/fog tested. NO LEAKS! what do I do next?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Note: this service bulletin only involves some 2007 year vehicles.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 25-003-07
GROUP: Emissions
DATE: November 14, 2007
DTC P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak Due To Loose Charcoal From Canister

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves performing the diagnostic procedure for DTC P0456, and if necessary, the replacement of evaporative system components.

MODELS:
2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500)
2007 (HB/HG) Durango/Aspen
2007 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2007 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle built on or between January 26, 2007 and June 18, 2007 (MDH 0126XX to MDH 0618XX respectively).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Additional investigation may reveal that the MIL is due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. Was vehicle built (check vehicle build date) on or between January 26, 2007 (MDH 0126XX) and June 18, 2007 (MDH 0618XX)?
a. If YES >>> then proceed to the next step.
b. If NO >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.
2. Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT > Service Info tab > 9 - Engine - Electrical Diagnosis > Diagnosis and Testing, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other than those listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
3. Perform the complete Diagnostic Procedures for DTC P0456 - Evaporative
System Small Leak.
NOTE: Make sure that the flow and smoke tests are performed completely.
4. Was an evaporative system leak detected when a complete DTC P0456 Diagnostic
Procedure was performed.
a. If YES >>> then proceed to the next step.
b. If NO >>> then perform the Repair Procedure.
5. Was the root cause of the leak in the evaporative system a leaking Evaporative System Integrity Module (ESIM)?
a. If YES >>> then perform the Repair Procedure.
b. If NO >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis and/or repair is required.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Replace the following emission system components:
a. Fuel Vapor Canister (with ESIM).
b. Fresh Air Fuel Vapor Filter.
c. Fresh Air Filter to Fuel Vapor Canister Hose.
2. Refer to TechCONNECT for detailed service procedures. From the “Service Info” tab select: 25 - Emissions > Evaporative Emissions > Switch - Evap System Monitor and Canister - Vapor

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
HELP! 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.... I have the small leak error code/check engine light and gas cap light on. I've replaced the gas cap (with a dealership cap) had all hoses and clamps checked and had the system smog/fog tested. NO LEAKS! what do I do next?
leak detector pump.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I've been fighting mine since summer last year. This winter hit and it disappeared, I don't know if it is the cold weather that sealed up a small leak, or just a fantom code. I'm halfway sure that it will return when it gets warm though.

Mine popped up again yesterday for the first time since late November, so I'm pretty sure it is a leak (thinking the cold weather compressed a seal, hose leak enough to stop it). Guess I'm going to be crawling under my truck on my days off.

I already replaced the gas cap, does Anybody have a list of hoses/seals to check? Where the hoses lead to/come from? I'm guessing all the hoses originate from the fuel tank? Is it this related to the fuel lines or just vent hoses/pump seals?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Mine popped up again yesterday for the first time since late November, so I'm pretty sure it is a leak (thinking the cold weather compressed a seal, hose leak enough to stop it). Guess I'm going to be crawling under my truck on my days off.

I already replaced the gas cap, does Anybody have a list of hoses/seals to check? Where the hoses lead to/come from? I'm guessing all the hoses originate from the fuel tank? Is it this related to the fuel lines or just vent hoses/pump seals?
If the leak detector pump doesn't find the problem do you think a-little flamage would find it?

:evillaugh

Attachments

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Just an FYI,

It's been a month or so since I've had this come back after replacing my gas cap with an OEM one.

I got it from Ebay. I asked the guy if it would fit my truck, and he using my vin was able to get me to the right part. So maybe look up 'quirkparts' on ebay, give them the last 8 of your VIN and get OEM cap...

I paid I think $17 shipped.

Attachments

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,325 Posts
Dot4U, take a look at my post above (#19). The culprit for you may be that little doughnut seal between the little white plastic thing and the black plastic case in front of the fuel tank. If you turn the white thing (I can't recall which direction) a little bit, it will come off. The PVC hoses should still be attached... The rubber seal will be visible. Try putting some PET on both sides of it and put it back together. Reset codes and Test drive...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.