DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this the right trans filter kit?

9K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  adamsredlines 
#1 ·
Ok got this at napa for $22. I have 03 Hemi QC 5sp auto. Ive read on here before I think some you said there were 2 filters?? Here is a pic of what I got

See less See more
#2 ·
* subscribe *

#3 ·
*Subscribed*

I'm getting ready to service mine as well, so let's hear from you "Tranny" experts.

..er....., um....., I mean....., you guys that know about transmissions.;)

#4 ·
Looks the same as I had. Be sure they gave you the right flat filter though. There is a different one for 4x4's and 2wd. You also should change the can filter too. Looks like a regular oil filter with a silver casing.

KB

#5 ·
When he looked it up I told him 2wd. Where is this can filter located???

#6 ·
I wouldn't get anything but Mopar tranny filters, there are known problems with others

#8 ·
Man oh man, I am going to do the Transgo shift kit install tomorrow, and fluid flush. If someone could point me in the right direction on the second filter, that would be great. I'm going to look at the how to section also...

#9 ·
It's a cartridge spin on filter, located in the transmission.
The filter you have, looks to me like it's the 2wd version as well.
Just be SURE, not to leave the old plastic seal in the transmission when you replace this filter.
The small plastic "O" ring seal, needs to be new and MUST NOT be pushed into the transmission already fitted on the end of the new filter.
You MUST gently remove the old seal and not scratch the valve body. Then correctly align and fit the new seal into place GENTLY tapping it with the base of either a small screw driver or botom of a hammer that just fits. Make sure you tap the seal "squarely" so as not to miss align it as it goes into place.
Don't place the seal wonky or not straight or damaged.
This is THE most important part of the whole job. Failure to correctly seat this seal, WILL lead to transmission problems.
Hope this helps?
Al.

#14 ·
It's a cartridge spin on filter, located in the transmission.
The filter you have, looks to me like it's the 2wd version as well.
Just be SURE, not to leave the old plastic seal in the transmission when you replace this filter.
The small plastic "O" ring seal, needs to be new and MUST NOT be pushed into the transmission already fitted on the end of the new filter.
You MUST gently remove the old seal and not scratch the valve body. Then correctly align and fit the new seal into place GENTLY tapping it with the base of either a small screw driver or botom of a hammer that just fits. Make sure you tap the seal "squarely" so as not to miss align it as it goes into place.
Don't place the seal wonky or not straight or damaged.

This is THE most important part of the whole job. Failure to correctly seat this seal, WILL lead to transmission problems.
Hope this helps?
Al.

true, that is the most tedious part of the job

#12 ·
#13 ·
SilverHemiDan beat me to it. That is a good link. NAPA didn't give me but the flat filter. Looks like another 15mile trip to the dealer. Nuts.

#15 ·
went to the dealer and got the screw on filter. He called it a torque converter filter. dam thing was $18

#16 ·
Dave's fun with the Transgo install

03SprayinHemi, the filter looks like the one I got. I believe there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd...

Okay, I finally got to it this week! AMSOIL in the tranny, new filters x2, and the Transgo shift kit installed. NAPA provided me both filters, but to find the spin-on filter required some detailed searching.
Here are the NAPA part numbers: 1-8595 is a filter and rubber pan gasket, 1-8593 is the spin-on filter ($15).
The rubber gasket proved super useful because I had to do a repeat performance of the valve body removal (I hate re-work). Why? I did not realize each part in the kit is a one-for-one swap. I screwed up with the little aluminum plug and valve. I never did get my factory valve out, but initially stuffed the kit included one in the hole, and then the aluminum end cap. Don't do that--then you have no reverse. :( So, when I called and asked Transgo they confirmed my suspicions, and so I did it all again. I even tried shaking the valve body to drop the little valve out, tried using a nose-picker (scribe), tried using a hand pump to suck the little thing out, all to no avail. :bawl: I bought the hand-pump ($12) to pump the fluid out of the trans pan, and I think I got maybe 2 or 3 quarts out for my trouble. But at least with the rubber gasket, I didn't have to scrape RTV again. I ended up leaving my factory aluminum valve and end cap in the valve body.
So, make sure you do a one-for-one swap with the springs, the aluminum plug and valve. The plastic rings with the backing metal circles were easy. Other notes: there were only six bolts in the valve body, and mine were 8mm hex head bolts. The valve body cover had 6 or 7 T25 torx screws, the same size as the bolt in my tranny filter. I referred to a handful of sites, including www.60ateeight.com/DodgeRam/ , page 21-368 from the DR manual, the application guide from Transgo, and a couple pages from here I dug up.
Shifts do feel better, and I do not have to focus on letting off the throttle when I want to hit fifth. I have always had to do that since I soldered in the resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.