DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

206 Cams Variations. Please Help Me

9K views 120 replies 20 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
I contacted Crane about the cams and was told there are about four different variations..Im looking for one with the most low end torque/power and mid range with some top end.

Here is a pic of the cam card I sent crane and I bolded the reply below from a rep at Crane Cams.

Please help me..

"YES THERE ARE FOUR DIFFERENT GRINDS THAT HAVE A 206 INTAKE. THE ONE YOU REQUESTED HAS 206 INTAKE & 218 EXHAUST. INTAKE LIFT IS .502 EXHAUST IS .465 AND IS GROUND ON A 112 LOBE SEPARATION. WE HAVE ALSO DONE THE SAME CAM BUT GROUND ON A 115 LOBE SEPARATION. THE OTHER COMBINATION IS 206 INTAKE AND 212 EXHAUST. VALVE LIFT INTAKE & EXHAUST 502. BOTH WITH 112 OR 115 LOBE SEPARATION".

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
206/212 .502/.465 115 LSA is my pick for your truck.

More TQ then the 206/218 and EZ'st to tune due to the 115 LSA.

#3 ·
I believe you will have more low end with a112 lsa. Just need to see if the 206-212 has more tq or less tq than 206-218

#4 ·
Yeah the 112 LSA will have more TQ then the 115 with a higher peak power with a smaller powerband. Due to less duration is should have more TQ. Also its closer to a single patter cam then the other and single pattern cams usually have more TQ.

#7 ·
It aint cheap, but it will be worth it :rck:

300 for h/o's
300 for rerinds
100 for the lash caps

Jmgak47 & Nick I appreciate the replies and feeback you have given so far..Ill be calling Crane tomorrow to see what they have to say also.

#6 ·
I'm leaning on the the 206-212 502-502 intake and exhaust. If I'm not mistaken this cam is designed so you don't have to Rev so high. Correct me if I'm wrong..

#8 ·
That would be the 206/212 .502/.465 112 LSA should have a lower power band then the rest and not need the higher RPM's to make good power. Also should have a nice sound idle with that tight of a lobe separation. Thinking on building up your new truck? Sure sucks about your old one.

#11 ·
I don't know if they make a 206-212 502-465 grind.

As for my new truck I'm only putting longtubes and tuner for now.

#15 ·
Off topic, I just noticed below my avatar pic it reads "senior member" I take it this is by default?

#18 ·
After talking with a rep from Crane today he confirmed the pic of the cam card I posted 206*218*.502*.465*112 will provide the most low end power. Custom tuning is a possibility, but I like to see how the truck is going to perform just with the Superchips?

#19 ·
I would highly doubt it would run on just a Superchips tune with that tight of a LSA. Its that LSA that give the most TQ, rougher idle, but also makes it harder to tune. Also even if you get it to run on it you will not see its full potential.

I recant my last pic and go for the 206/218 .502/.465 115 LSA knowing know that that duration and lift combination makes the most TQ.

#21 ·
Tighter LSA will give the engine more peak torque up to a point, but you have to take into consideration overlap. As overlap increases, low-end torque decreases. I see no way that a 206/218 is going to out-perform a 206/212 on the lower-end if the truck has a free flowing exhaust. Someone needs to look back at cam math 101 and realize that the 206/218* cam all other things being considered is going to lose atleast 10 ft/lbs @ 2,000 rpm compared to the 206/212. The 115* lsa will be more idle vacuum friendly, which will help it be more superchips friendly. Although for what a PSC-1 cost, I would definately look into one if you plan to stay with Superchips.

#20 ·
Ill take that into consideration..Here are the specs for my current h/o cams

H.O. cam specs
.472 lift on the Intake with 236* of duration
.429 lift on the Exhaust with 250* of duration
with an 18* overlap

#24 ·
True! But it was to my knowledge that if you used a duration that was better for highend HP that if you lower the lift it would make it retain more TQ. I could be wrong.

#26 ·
If its EZ tuning you really want just get the H/O's and be done with it. Any version of the 206 not tuned correctly will still not out perform the H/O's.

#28 ·
Please do not believe that 100%.. Bigbad4.7 ran 14.9 with superchips and 206 cams..A few other members who I had contacted switched from h/o to 206 cams with just a superchips still noticed better gains throughout the powerband.

Now do not get me wrong that all saw better gains with 206 cams on a stock pcm. Adamredlines was one of the few that the 206 cams did not show much potential till after he went custom tuning.

206-218 on a 112 lsa is what I will be using. After talking with Crane and also Dan the Fastman both recommend this for the most low end torque. Cams are being regrinded so there is no turning back :rck:

I plan to go with sct but would like to see how the truck will run just with a superchips. What will my outcome be with the 206s, we shall see :D

Here is a old vid of my 0-60 with h/o cams 4.56 gears 08 mani plus the other basic bolt ons. I plan to do another one before the 206s going in. The only difference from this vid and the new one I will record is my truck will be running superchips 91 setting, 4" mit intake and the stock muffler being replaced with a magnaflow si/do. Also lighter wheels have been added, and still runing 35" tires like in the previous vid.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/287cc/?action=view&current=08mani.mp4

#29 ·
#30 ·
Thanks Fast4.7, I have not tried the PSC-1 yet on the truck. If I can get some time from work, I'll try to wire it in and see what I see. Will all those still allow me to pull a 5,000 trailer? I don't have one yet, but that is in future plans. I have 18 months 'til this truck is paid off and it will become a pack mule of sorts in the future.
All this discussion about LSA got me wondering, and I found a thread over at ecomodder.com that mentioned the Toyota Prius uses a tighter LSA to increase valve overlap...to gain an EGR type effect without needing an EGR setup. (If I can find it again, I'll post the link here) Why do I mention this? If I read this right, the 112 LSA cams would provide a little more overlap and a little more EGR effect, which should slightly boost mpgs.
I also did a google search for lobe separation angle on overlap and this is one of the better results: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ion+angle+on+overlap&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
very interesting cam LSA comparison.

#32 ·
Yes just yesterday 05whitehemi installed them. Truck is running great. Although the gains will be better with a custom tune the truck is running great with just the superchips. From 0-4.5rpms the truck has more pull over the h/o's I have not even given the truck a true wide open throttle just yet or reved it over 4.5k rpms.*
I'll be posting a full review by the end of the week since I'm out of town and only have my phone to get online which makes it difficult to type. By the end of the week the cams should have about 150 miles on them and allow the cams to show their true potential. I'll be writing a full review once I'm back home.**

#34 ·
Nice to hear its working good, Cant wait to see clip later in the week,
:popcorn:

#35 ·
I'll get them as soon as I can Brian :) thanks for your help as well

#36 ·
If I can get my hands on another set of h/o's this sounds like a good option. Not sure I want to go through all that work to put my stockers back in to have my current h/o's reground.

Do you Have a cam spec card you can post so I can save it for future use?

#37 ·
I have it posted on the first page in post #1 :)

#39 ·
So that is what you ended up going with. Good, image saved. :)

#38 ·
Subscribing :)

#48 ·
You can always share your experience with your 206s :D I know you have had them for a few years

So that is what you ended up going with. Good, image saved. :)
Yes, that is the one :D

KRS is one cool guy, I'll tell you the 4.7 cam swap is about the easiest cam install for a new aged fuel injected engine.......... I'll do 2 or three of these a day..... LOL
Thanks Lonnie. You are great guy yourself, with one powerful truck :worthy:

#40 ·
So you got the cam's in yesterday and you had HO cam's before. Looking forward to hearing what kinda difference they made.

#41 ·
#47 ·
Yeah, that driverside valve cover is a pita. remove the alt and it goes easier.

#95 · (Edited)
I finally got my HO cams installed this week. Thanks krs. Woo-hoo! I thought I was going to suffer from Turrets syndrome or something with the driver's side with that wedge tool. I ended up making my own "wedge tool" from cabinet grade plywood that was a little thinner than the shaved part of the miller tool I bought, and it slid right in place. :D Bearing caps looked good. I was relieved to discover there was no sludge buildup; after some of what I've read about the 4.7 I was anticipating a mess.
I do recommend you have a strong telescoping magnet available, as I dropped one cam bearing bolt behind the headlight (no, I don't really know how it got there), and thanks to a strong telescoping magnet, I was able to fish it out of there. I referred to these sources for the install:
http://bionicdodge.com/Download/KRC_Performance _4.7_Cams_Install.pdf (http {no www] bionicdodge.com)
http://***************/forum/3rd-ge...swap-write-up-thanks-trucky-and-blown287.html (http {no www] dodgeforum dot com)
and http://dodgeram.ru/files/cam.pdf and my Chilton's manual.

My personal notes: TDC mark looks like a chisel mark on the balancer, not neat and painted white like my Chilton manual showed. I coated it with some inferno red paint so I can find it easier next time. Mark on aluminum case is a inverted triangle (painted it too). Have to stand on your head or climb into eng compartment to see it. I also labeled the spark plug connectors and injector connectors so I could find them faster doing reassembly. It really helped removing the radiator fan shroud; I am so glad I did that!
I released a little tension on the serpentine belt to spin ps pulley so I could use a rachet and socket to reach the mount bolts. Didn't matter as I ended up taking belt off, and removing top two ps pump bolts so I could swing it out of the way for better access.
Finally got valve covers off. Had to release heater hoses from a clamp on the firewall for pass side. Ended up having to rotate engine 360 degrees to get V8 marks on top for the cams. Be sure to get this right...or you'll regret it. :nono Used tie wraps to hold the driver's side harness out of my way.
Had to make my own (thinner) cam wedge tool as mentioned above. The miller tool did work fine on the pass side.

#49 · (Edited)
Ill post a couple video shoots when I can. Right now its raining so once the roads are dry again I will give the truck some nice 0-60 runs.

Now there has been 150+ miles driven with the cams installed, the truck just has so much more pull. You do feel the torque kick in from light throttle to w.o.t. The 206s did what I have been wanting from my truck all along. Just to get up and go with ease and without being held back. Granted my truck has close to 35" tires and being lifted these cams achieved that for me. Another plus side is mpg's have improved. Which makes since, since at take offs from a dead stop prior to the 206s I would have to push on the pedal a little more just to go. Now I can just ease on the pedal to get the truck going.

From my experience the h/o cams are good if you are on a budget or you just do not want spend too much. Its just that the 206s provide more low end and a lot more mid range than the h/o's.

I wanted to add that about four days ago I set back the superchips back to 87 setting, yet still Im running 91 octane and will be installing the sc to 91 after a few weeks.

#81 ·
After re-reading this thread, I realized I forgot to ask how long did you have to wait to get the cams shipped, ground, and returned?

#50 ·
That's great to hear. These 4.7's need more torque.

Does anyone know how the 206's compare to the 212x's? There's a guy on the classified selling a set of 212x's. Not that I've got the $400 he's asking but I'm wondering for future reference.

#54 ·
I would check out bigbads4.7 old threads where he posted his vids of both 206 and 212 cams. When I asked about the two from bigbad4.7, he stated what oefootball stated about the cams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.