DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To: Avenger AirBox Modification.

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fstdango3 
#1 · (Edited)
I modded the airbox for my 2.7L '08 Avenger SXT. The airbox design is very similar to my old '06 PT Cruiser Turbo airbox which responded very well to a airbox mod. The Avenger's airbox has 4 basic components upper airbox, lower airbox, air filter and a front facing snorkel scoop that protrudes into the lower box. This is a easy and free mod that will improve the airflow of the stock airbox used in the Avenger models.

Step 1:
Start by removing the plastic nail that fastens the scoop to the radiator support and unscrew the bolt that hold the lower air box to the radiator suport. Then loosen the hose clamp on the rubber throttle body bellows tube and slide it off the airbox. Then disconnect the electrical connector for the air temp sensor on the upper air box. Pull off the breather hose that goes to the upper air box. Lift the air box out so that the metal clip with the starter wire through it on the lower airbox can be slid out. Remove the airbox from vehicle.

Step 2:
A tube fits into a channel in the upper airbox. If the tube is removed it will open up the upper airbox allowing air to pass through the entire airfilter. The tube can easily be removed by depressing the plastic detent in the middle of the tube where it meets the side of the airbox. Slide off the metal clip support on the lower air box that guide the starter wire. Lift the air box assembly vertically off the two guide pins by the fender and it will be out of the car.

Step 3:
The front scoop transitions into a duct that protrudes into the lower airbox. Cutting 3" of the duct that protrudes into the lower airbox it will open up the airbox so that the incoming slip stream spreads across the entire air filter. It's easier to cut the duct by removing it from the lower airbox. There are 4 detents that hold it in the lower airbox; squeeze the duct to slide it from the lower airbox.

Step 4:
Reinstall the airbox back into the car and enjoy the benefits of a free mod. I would also install a not so free drop-in K&N air filter (33-2373) to maximize the air flow.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks jmr. I knew there had to be a better way!

#5 ·
Well, I took the plunge myself and modded the intake on the wife's car. It was not a piece of cake, but wasn't too tough. Getting the holes cut for the 2" PVC pipe to match, and then jamming it into them was tough. But, it almost looks factory now!
I took a before shot, then 2 along the way, and then a final installed shot. Guess I should have tried some 0-60s before and after. Oh well.

Attachments

#6 ·
And here are two pix from when I opened up the front end...

Attachments

#7 ·
Nice Write Ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.