DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4.7L Performance Options Thread.

73K views 1K replies 62 participants last post by  Jmw132001 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, the "4.7L Stroker Kit" thread was so far in the dumpster...that I am making a new one.

READ CAREFULLY: Buying a HEMI....is not a quality response. For I DO NOT WANT A HEMI, at the current time. I WANT A FASTER 4.7L....that I can proudly say is one of the fastest NON-HEMI's around adventually.

Here are some of the numbers that I have read about Performance Parts for the 4.7L: These are shot low, and I am not an authority on these parts...I will explain lower

HO Cams-25whp and 25 lbs. tq. (206's are supposed to have more top end but not as much power throughout the powerband)
http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/i...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26
http://www.airram.com/parts.php?categoryid=203
HO Manifold- 3WHP...moves the powerband up in the RPM range.
E-fan- 8-10WHP
Exhaust and Headers- 10-12WHP
PowerWire- 8-10WHP
http://www.airram.com/parts.php?categoryid=75
CAI- 8-12WHP
http://www.airram.com/parts.php?categoryid=34
4.10-4.56 gearing-----not really any HP just a lot better acceleration
Throttle Body- 2-4WHP....More throttle Response and better top end
(http://www.thefastman.com/ThrottleBodies.asp) Dan is very informative and can answer 99% of the questions you have about the TB over the phone.
JetStream Scoop- Better MPG and possibly some more HP
http://www.airram.com/parts.php?categoryid=35
SuperChips Programmer- 15-20WHP as claimed below.
TMR Mod --No HP just faster and firmer shifts and the cost is free (one could also get a well priced shift kit for the automatics)
Nitrous a 50 shot could be a nice addition
Underdrive Pulley - The newer ones have been said to have been safer for our engines and actually show some power gains I do believe.
Quality LSD - The stock LSD has some issues with broken clips and isn't really efficient. One member below saw an increase of 8/10 of sec in the 1/4 mile with gearing and an Auburn LSD
Paxton 00-06 4.7L SuperCharger-The claim is 300RWHP...impressive. http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20
I am in no way, an authority on these parts. I hope anyone with the reviews of the parts will chime in, and any other suggestions will be posted as well.

Some people have also been asking about stroking the 4.7L Engine, if any specs or advice is available please input on it.
*Please remember, not all parts are effected equally, such that HO Cams put together with SI/SO 3" exhaust and header may not yield 25whp+10-12WHP = 35-37WHP...together they may actually only yield 30WHP...however, it is possible that they may yield 38WHP placed together....just a reminder when observing these numbers

See less See more
#377 ·
biggerhammer said:
I still don't undestand how all these mods are being done on peeps rides, but no dyno time to show any before and after gains losses, except mine, but my truck is a standard, need some auto guys to get some sheets up, my last dyno was after the tb install, machines a stock tb to a true 68 mm, drove it for 2 days, dyno'd 7 hp more and 23 lbft. tq more than previous dyno on the same machine and operator, peak torque was 293 at 4500
Not all of us have easy access to a dyno.
As a side note....I'd be more intersted in your dyno numbers anyway...... :D

#378 ·
stickshiftsrule said:
Not all of us have easy access to a dyno.
As a side note....I'd be more intersted in your dyno numbers anyway...... :D
I dont put much faith in DYNOs... they are great for tuneing but thats about all they are good for. The track is where you get the most accurate measurement of performance gained/lost... In my opinion TIME SLIPS are a better tell tale of power gained/lost. A DYNO done fro bragging rights is just a waste of money... but a DYNO used to tune your vehicle for improved ET's is priceless.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#379 ·
Unless you have a hook up with a dyno guy or shop each trip adds about another $40 - $50 to each Mod. Trips to the dyno for me are for the most part just a fun GTG. Yea those numbers are good to know, but I am more interested in the reality of how the mods push my vehicle down the road/track.

#381 ·
Just completed eng mod #2: installed a 4" sewer pipe to replace the 2nd airbox and the acordian hose. Don't have any dyno sheets or 0-60 runs, but it sounds better than before, especially once the engine hits 2500rpm. From other areas in this thread and in the Dakota forums, this is good for 9-10hp. Here's a picture or two:
Not as good as AirRam's full CAI setup, but it does work...the last picture shows the pieces, including the cement for putting the pipe and elbow together. I started with a 90* elbow with 2 flared ends, but after I had hacked this one up I found some at Lowe's that had one straight 4" end and the other flared. This would have been better... :WHT: The straight pipe is about 10 inches long. I copied Mad Hemi (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53114&highlight=Home+Depot) but drilled a 1/2" hole (vice 3/8") in the final rubber reducer, primarily because the IAT sensor wires aren't long enough for me to mount it anywhere else. I figure a power wire will let me switch the rubber adapters and move it next to the air filter box... To drill the hole, I used a small piece of 1/8" wood trim clamped to both sides of the rubber adapter to keep it from wiggling around while I drilled thru the boards and the adapter. The IAT sensor is still a snug fit. I dabbed a little RTV around mine because I like to worry.

Attachments

#382 ·
Looks pretty good, nice job.
But where is your pcv/breather tube?
There is a company the makes 3.5" tubing (the dia. of the airbox outlet) for making these as well.
I sometimes wish I had known that before I bought my MIT but still I'm happy with it.

If you do get a PW and (like you mentioned) use it as an extension it will help too, that is what I did.

#385 ·
...I got one of those small filters that fit right on the pcv breather hose...

#386 ·
Wasinger12 said:
Well....Hows it coming along???

Quick update for you guys...whewwwww cam install....whewwww.

Dayum, I'm glad it's over. However, they are in. They aren't throwing codes. I have put 12miles on them and about to be plenty more. They have been worth the headache so far.

1). It really isn't that bad...just time consuming.
2). Valve cover gaskets are 52.00 for both, you'll need them.
3). The bolt in the back are SOB's...plain and simple SOB's, lol.
4). Sprayed a quart of oil every where the first time, and had to pull the valve covers back off. (the gasket came unseated)
5). Stripped a bolt on the valve cover. (they do not need to be torqued much at all.
6). Ummm my truck has some LOPE. No codes, and a huge increase from about 1600-4800RPM, and it's still learning.
7). Seems like it's revving higher probably 5800, and acts like she wants a lil more (it's dead at that RPM, no more pulling). So I guess this is where the HO manifold will come in.

I was worried at first, because my lobes on the cams looked like stock lobes. It is absolutely impossible to tell until you get them side by side and then you can see a differences on the narower end of the cam. The H/O's are a bit more rounded and not as pointy. I'm going to drive her around and get a 1/4 mile run in maybe.

I'll post back later tonight

#388 ·
well, when i bought my truck the dealer tried like heck to get me to buy the same exact truck with the 4.7L motor, the same exact ruck with the Hemi was only $800 more.......i thought about it for like 5 seconds and told him i couldn't make the 4.7L a 5.7L Hemi for $800 or less, so it was a no brainer

i am interested in why people would buy the 4.7L to begin with

#389 ·
When I bought my truck, I was set that I wanted a standard cab, short bed, sport package w/ 20s. To get one with the Hemi, it was $3k more because they all had the Infinity stereo, power everything, 4x4, and all that crap that I didnt want. It was hard enough to find the truck I ended up with, the closest one (the one I ended up with) was at a dealership 250 miles away.

#390 ·
they sell the sport without the Hemi? that just sounds odd, that they would sell a Sport model with the smaller motor and a non-Sport SLT with one......interesting that a dealer couldnt find one like you wanted with the Hemi

#391 ·
stickshiftsrule said:
Looks pretty good, nice job.
But where is your pcv/breather tube?
Thank you. My PCV plugs right into the air filter box. The only thing I had to find a home for was the intake temp sensor...

#392 ·
4.7L_02_QC said:

Dayum, I'm glad it's over. However, they are in. They aren't throwing codes. I have put 12miles on them and about to be plenty more. They have been worth the headache so far.

4). Sprayed a quart of oil every where the first time, and had to pull the valve covers back off. (the gasket came unseated)
5). Stripped a bolt on the valve cover. (they do not need to be torqued much at all.
6). Ummm my truck has some LOPE. No codes, and a huge increase from about 1600-4800RPM, and it's still learning.
7). Seems like it's revving higher probably 5800, and acts like she wants a lil more (it's dead at that RPM, no more pulling). So I guess this is where the HO manifold will come in.

I was worried at first, because my lobes on the cams looked like stock lobes. It is absolutely impossible to tell until you get them side by side and then you can see a differences on the narower end of the cam. The H/O's are a bit more rounded and not as pointy. I'm going to drive her around and get a 1/4 mile run in maybe.

Sweet!!!! Keep us updated!!!

#393 ·
jamesnmandy said:
they sell the sport without the Hemi? that just sounds odd, that they would sell a Sport model with the smaller motor and a non-Sport SLT with one......interesting that a dealer couldnt find one like you wanted with the Hemi
Yes, they sell the sport without the hemi it has been like this since 2002 before the hemi was avaliable. As to your question about buying the 4.7 over the hemi is the price. Some dealers offer great deals on the hemi over the 4.7 and some do not. It all depends on timing.

#394 ·
4.7L_02_QC, glad you got them in and cant wait to hear more feedback on the cams

#395 ·
4.7L_02_QC said:

:rck: :rck: :rck:
:drivingz: :drivingz:
Very Niiice!!

#396 ·
jamesnmandy said:
well, when i bought my truck the dealer tried like heck to get me to buy the same exact truck with the 4.7L motor, the same exact ruck with the Hemi was only $800 more.......i thought about it for like 5 seconds and told him i couldn't make the 4.7L a 5.7L Hemi for $800 or less, so it was a no brainer

i am interested in why people would buy the 4.7L to begin with
For MOST the HEMI was closer to a 3,000 option...
For some they just did not need a HEMI.
For some (like me) the HEMI was not an option.

And for some they are more than happy with the power of a 4.7L which has more than enough HP to get the job done. And almost everyone loves to add mods no matter what engine they have. My original goal was to be able to beat a stock HEMI...Since that goal came rather easily, now my goal is to run quicker than a 9.5 in the 1/8 mile. I have no reason to trade for one because mine is paid for...

So it you keep an OPEN mind its rather easy to understand why NOT EVERYONE has a HEMI...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#397 ·
For me it was the availability of a manual transmission on the 4.7L. I could have stepped up to a 2500 and got a Hemi with a manual, but that truck is overkill for my needs.

#400 ·
I was just wondering at what point do you lose mpg on add ons? I have heard about the e-fan,fastman tb,AI's,pulley, and gears.After all this I think the next step would be cams or supercharger.Would it be at this point that you would gain hp/tq,but lose mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.