DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Ram 1500 5.2l, with the mods listed in my signiture. I've been reading up on some mods to get better mileage, and one of the recommended mods is the fast man TB... I also read that it seems trottle body spacers really don't do anything at all, and may even hurt performance, is that true? I have a PowerRaid spacer on my truck that came with it, so I never thought about taking it off, but I figured if I get a new TB should I ditch the spacer while I have everything apart? I freakin hate the whistle it makes, it always makes me think I have a vacuum leak, so if it does absolutely nothing for my power, or gas mileage I might as well take it off and sell it to recoup some of the cash for the TB... What do you guys think?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Get rid of the spacer, there junk. If I were you I would upgrade the exhaust next. Hi-flow cat (or remove, but being an OBDII there would be problems if removed) also a performance muffler. You could also get some headers. Headers didn't do anything for my truck, but I've heard a lot of good things from other people with V8's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you go to the fastman website they have a mod so you can ditch the exhaust and not get any check engines lights.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
and post some pics of that beast! Looks good from your avatar. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that I have 3" exhaust from the cat back, with a DynoMax muffler. I could use a high flow cat though, any recommended brands? I'm probably due for a new 02 sensor also.

So I guess I'll be investing in a high flow throttle body next paycheck, and ditching the spacer on ebay. Thanks for the advice guys!

Also, I've attached some pics of my truck. I'll probably upload them to my user garage eventually.

Attachments

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I could use a high flow cat though, any recommended brands?
magnaflow. Me and many others have used them and they're great. Sounds way better than stock. Got mine for 85 bucks off ebay and a shop cut my old one out and welded in new one for 60.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll deffinitely look into that in the future... I did some research and learned that the JET chip is a piece of crap, so I took it out, and slapped it on ebay... I'll probably get a superchip someday. I guess I forgot to upload the pics before, so they are there now, check it out.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
nice rig! Whats the lift and brand?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No clue what the brand is, but it looks to be about a 4"lift... It came on the truck... All the shocks are Rancho, that's all I know.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
once you get the throttle body and magnaflow setup, get a B&G flash.
more gains than any chip or programmer, will also remove torque management, and cost about the same ($350).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a B&G flash, eh? What exactly is that, and where can I get one? What is the torque management? I'm not familiar with that...

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you can read about the flash here http://www.bgchrysler.com/Service/High_Performance_B_G_Flash/high_performance_b_g_flash.html

torque management, as I understand it, it the PCM limiting the amount of initial power by adjusting the timing and fuel curve to a more conservative setting until the vehicle gets moving. It make the power come on more smoothly rather than all at once.

Someone else can better explain it than I, but that is how it was explained to me.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I looked at the site you got there... thats all for 3rd gen trucks, last time i checked this is 2nd gens.....
You are correct, this is the 2nd gen forum.
I don't know where you saw any information to lead you to that conclusion, but just to clarify for anyone else, here is a screenshot of the link above:
:crazy:

Attachments

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
RacnJsn95 said:
I have a 99 Ram 1500 5.2l, with the mods listed in my signiture. I've been reading up on some mods to get better mileage, and one of the recommended mods is the fast man TB... I also read that it seems trottle body spacers really don't do anything at all, and may even hurt performance, is that true? I have a PowerRaid spacer on my truck that came with it, so I never thought about taking it off, but I figured if I get a new TB should I ditch the spacer while I have everything apart? I freakin hate the whistle it makes, it always makes me think I have a vacuum leak, so if it does absolutely nothing for my power, or gas mileage I might as well take it off and sell it to recoup some of the cash for the TB... What do you guys think?
Ditch the Jet & TB spacer, they're basically junk. Add a an M-1, a bigger TB and a BG flash. That'll wake it up real nice.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If i could go back, my first mods would be an e-fan and Fastman TB, followed by the M-1 and B&G flash from Fastman. Then all the exhaust stuff.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Concerning the B&G flash. While it can give better performance I would not let them flash the stock pcm.

If you get a check engine light you will not be able to find out whats wrong by the 3x key on or with a scan tool. B&G wipes the pcm clean and doesnt put self diagnostics back in.

When I first started my 408 with a B&G I had to put in my stock computer to set the cam sync signal.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
When I first started my 408 with a B&G I had to put in my stock computer to set the cam sync signal.
I have never modified a MPI vehicle, so my question is: when I install the stroker rotating assembly and cam, will I need to reset my cam sync signal with a stock PCM?
I though if everything is assembled according to spec (cranks pos sensor, dist postion, timing degree), the sync signal would stay the same.
If the B&G doesn't have any diagnostics does that mean that the CEL will stay on?

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
yes, you still need to get the sync checked. They can vary wildly and you's never know it.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
yes, you still need to get the sync checked. They can vary wildly and you's never know it.
for future reference how would I go about checking and setting it?
I am compiling a hard copy of all relevant posting regarding stroker applications so when I get around to purchasing the parts and pulling the motor out I'll have them for reference, so if you go into a bit of detail that would be great.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.