Votes: 15 4.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys thought of the different bedliners. I was going to go with a spray-in liner but then I started looking into this new Bedrug. Just looking for a replacement of the hard plastic drop-in liner I currently have.

Let me know what you think.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I say: spray-on type...LineX.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I've had the plastic bedliners and they wear the paint off under them. If I was going to do anything like that again it would either the bedrug or spray on. The spray on would protect the sides. :gr_patrio

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Spray-on is the best.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree, the spray-on is the way to go, especially since you can match colors now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like my hard liner. You can slide heavy objects across them, and they are 100-150 cheaper. It doesn't bother me if it wears the paint off, it wears rust off too. Hell, it's a truck.

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
I got a plastic liner, I took the liner out a few weeks ago to wash the metal under neath.Paint is all there, got a little surface rust on the fender wells (bout 3" circle) but other than that its perfect underneath

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go for spray on last longer and looks better. I was lucky my spray liner was already on when I bought my truck and it works great I have already hauled stuff in my bed and if it wasn't for the liner it would of been all scratched already.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i got a drop in too but i will change it to spray on liner (not the DIY kind) I will get one as soon as i can (mod #4 on my list) i really dont need it right now tho

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
i currently have the pos dodge factory one that came with the truck. i think it looks cheap imo, i would like to have a rhino put in its place

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Spray-in if you actually use your bed like a truck bed should be used....... BedRug if you don't.

I recommend the TOFF spray-in liners very highly, if they are available in your area.

·
Dodge Fan
27 Posts
I have a bedrug, over spray on. I've been carrying a lot of plywood and drywall lately, and for the wood I just stack it in on top of a couple of 4x4's. Haven't had any problems with it yet. Not only is functional, but it's comfortable as well....but yeah...it really comes down to what you're going to use it for. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I kept hearing the same thing about drop-ins rusting the bed, but since I already bought the drop-in, I took an extra step.... I got the do-it-yourself stuff from Pep Boys, and painted it in before I installed the drop-in (I did let it dry first). I chose the drop-in because it won't leave a dent in the bed like the spray-ins will when something is dropped in it. The stuff I used may not look all that great, but it protects the bed from rust and is covered by the drop-in anyways. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i agree w/ glowplug..

i went with a drop in plastic liner..

when i was talking to people about liners, they said that a spray in is great for rust prevention, and is better looking, but if you drop a cinder block on it it will dent the bed, although not scratch the liner

i have a "the colonel's" drop in liner... the first couple of years i took out the liner and resprayed the bed because it was rusting out underneath.

last year i did the diy roll on liner, and put the plastic one over it.. it's rubbing a little, but not too bad

bdr

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
I love my bedrug and if I even if I did have a spray in, I'd still throw a bedrug over it.

·
The R is for RELAX...
41 Posts
Well, coming from someone who has recently (last week) purchased a spray in liner...I wouldn't have gone any other way. The hard part is trying to find a shop that won't rape and pillage your wallet, and get you in and out in a timely manner. I went to a little hole-in-the-wall place in Fort Worth, and they had me in and out in less than an hour and a half, with the liner already cured and ready to be used and abused. The liner they sprayed was ARTLUX, which is the same liner that TOFF is made of. The only difference is, like LINE-X, you pay for a little badge and a lot of un-necessary prep work.
Now, the price difference ranged from $315 for an under the rail shortbed job (the cheapest) to upwards of $450 for an over the rail shortbed (line-x). Mine set me back $375 after tax, and it has a lifetime warranty that covers peeling, breakage, chipping (defect, not caused by you) etc...Just don't get shafted into spending an entire afternoon waiting on your truck, and then have to pay $100 + because of extra prep work.
I hope to have some pics of my new liner up soon, so that everyone can bask in the glory that is sprayed on...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bedliners? Haven't had to have one since I was three or four.....maybe there's some kinda pill you guys can take to keep the bed dry........:D

I kept the under-rail drop-in that came with my truck. I trimmed off the front part that slips over the headboard with a circular saw, so I could get a better seal for my fiberglass cap, and haul it out easier for cleaning underneath. I was thinking hard about Line-X, but the things that stopped me were how "grabby" sprayed-in liners are, how they do not protect from dings, and the fact that truck beds are really not made for "real" loads any more.

I think the spray on stuff would be great for the rocker panels and lower circumference on the OUTSIDE of the truck, and the top 6-8 inches of the tailgate. Back into a pile of firewood, gravel, or rock with the tailgate down and you'll see why you need it at the top of the tailgate.

As far as "real truck" comments go, try to slide something heavy (like a gas plate compacter) out of the bed, or shovel a load of crushed rock or shingles outta that sprayed in bed. I'm not against them; I just like the slippery hard plastic better.

If anyone want to talk "real truck" applications, then we should be talking about diamond plate vs flat sheet steel on your flat bed. A factory pickup body is just not rugged enough for regular "real truck" use, being a large sheet metal body part held on with a few bolts. Ever watch your bed rock, wiggle, and quiver in the rear view mirrors as you lumber down the road with a heaped up load of firewood, gravel, or old shingles? Ever think about what holds the sides up under that lateral pressure - a few tack welds at the headboard and the fenderwells!

I think the Ram looks best with the original bed, and is more useable with a cap during the Winter. I'm getting a trailer for the "real truck" stuff (as soon as someone sends me a big bag of money) - more capacity, lower to the ground, and one with a dump would be great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is what the Dodge plastic liner did to the paint in only 13K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
BigBlueV10 said:
This is what the Dodge plastic liner did to the paint in only 13K miles.
Yeah. My plastic liner did a number on my bed. Granted the guy who had it before me really didn't take good care of the bed but seriously. Dents... like everywhere. Plenty of places scratched down to bear metal and some rusting. First thing I did when I got the chance was yanked that bloody liner out. I absolutely hate plastic liners. I've also never seen much of a difference in trying to move things on a plastic liner and a spray liner... I've easily moved things on them. :D My experiences with the plastic liners have always crumpled or the edge dug into the liner and tried to drag it along with it... though that has been stock plastic liners.

I'd give you the link to see my truck bed.. but my site is being really gay today... so I'll give ya this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.