DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, about 3 weeks ago i was leaving pizza hut and on my way home i noticed my air wasnt blowing, i could change from cold to heat, and between all the vets but couldnt get the blower to blow, so when i got home i pulled the center bezel off and looked to see if i had a loose wire, didnt see nothing that caught my eye, so i shut everything back up and turned the truck on and everything worked fine, after that i didnt have a problem for about a week, then my air would do the same thing randomly, so i took everything back apart cleaned all connections and called it a day, and of course when i put it all back together it all worked, for about a day or 2, now my air cutting off is a random thing while driving and to fix it i can just thump the a/c controls right on the blower control knob, sometimes harder than other and it comes right back on, so im thinking its the controls going bad, but wanted to get a second opinion on this be 4 i go and buy a second set . . .

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw this is on my 03 reg cab with a 4.7, ( i know someone will ask :D )

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Sounds like a switch to me. I think if the blower motor was going out - thumping the switch wouldn't work. That is cheaper than the blower motor.. so start there. :)

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
demon
def start with the switch
try taking the bezel off and bypassing the switch and see if you get direct control
if you do just replace the switch,
if not then you should be looking for a worn insulations spot in the wiring, but this should have blown the fuse already so I really think that it is the switch.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
demon
def start with the switch
try taking the bezel off and bypassing the switch and see if you get direct control
if you do just replace the switch,
if not then you should be looking for a worn insulations spot in the wiring, but this should have blown the fuse already so I really think that it is the switch.
exactly what i was thinking, if it was a relay, fuse, ect. it would not work if i tapped the controls

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I would also say replace the control assembly.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone got an extra?

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
You might try hitting up some junk yards if nobody here has an extra. That would sure be better than going to the dealer.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
true, hopefully someone here has one :D

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
well an intermittent relay is also possible but it would have no effect if you banged the dash, as the relay is in the engine bay.

sometimes the controls come up on here , but I wouldn't wait for one:

here is one on ebay for $24.00

link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/03-05-Dodge-Ram-...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

try and offer him a deal fast as they usually go for $80-100 bucks and dealer is $130

if you don't need the heated mirror switch, then you got a free switch for something
go luck

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well an intermittent relay is also possible but it would have no effect if you banged the dash, as the relay is in the engine bay.

sometimes the controls come up on here , but I wouldn't wait for one:

here is one on ebay for $24.00

link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/03-05-Dodge-Ram-...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
$20 + $28 Shipping

the total isnt bad its just im getting screwed on shipping, if im gona spend the $48, i want it on DT first, id rather pay more and use DT instead of paying less and using Ebay

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
try and offer him a deal fast as they usually go for $80-100 bucks and dealer is $130

if you don't need the heated mirror switch, then you got a free switch for something
go luck
id rather go to the dealer and pay $130 to have my part now, and have a warranty, but thats just me, ive gotten away from ebay unless i just cant find it elseware

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
well then you could temp. get a potentiometer from radioshack in the right range and reuse the existing knob. that should be about $20 ,

take yours with you and make sure that it is 12V and correct amperage , and the range is good and you will be set for now, and maybe for good if it fits in the panel well.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well then you could temp. get a potentiometer from radioshack in the right range and reuse the existing knob. that should be about $20 ,

take yours with you and make sure that it is 12V and correct amperage , and the range is good and you will be set for now, and maybe for good if it fits in the panel well.
more info on that?

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
well the fan speed selector is just a variable resistance switch,ie a potentiometer, or rheostat. you will be able to get such a thing at a decent electronics parts store. If you bring in yours, most anybody who works at such a place can match it with their stock.
Electronics parts are relatively cheap, and you should have no difficulty refitting it to you ram. ANd if the sizing works you will need not get a new dodge part.
This is just in case you cannot find a climate control at a wreckers.
Because this part would take you about a half hour to fit in your panel.

is that what you were asking?

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the fan speed selector is just a variable resistance switch,ie a potentiometer, or rheostat. you will be able to get such a thing at a decent electronics parts store. If you bring in yours, most anybody who works at such a place can match it with their stock.
Electronics parts are relatively cheap, and you should have no difficulty refitting it to you ram. ANd if the sizing works you will need not get a new dodge part.
This is just in case you cannot find a climate control at a wreckers. Because it would take you about a half hour to fit in your panel.

is that what you were asking?
more or less, yeah lol, got a how to on that :D

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
That wont work. It is a potentiometer, but it also communicates with the pcm and your lights wont work if you unplug the ac controls. It's all part of the nazi pcm master control plan.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
frog
REALLY?
On my 05 it did this, and it had no affect on the lights.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
When we (JeffB and I) had the hvac unplugged to do the blue led mod, it messed up my other dashlights. Same thing when we did Dale3's lights

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
ah, well this is a cut and replace of the switch, not a switch-ectomy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.