DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to place an order for a torque converter on Monday. I have no allegiance to Edge or APS, so I called them both. Wayne at APS and Andre at Edge were both very helpful. They both explained the benefits of a performance torque converter and what I could expect from their products.

But, as with any product, both claim theirs is the best. APS claims to be the most efficient, and so does Edge. Both significantly improve off the line performance and promise quicker ET's. Both can be produced to look just like the stock converter (something I wanted). With the GB going on, the APS converter is the same price as Edge.

So, which one do I choose? Wayne at APS was a better salesman in my opinion (explaining what type of materials he uses, what I can expect performance-wise, and why this is the best). Andre did a good job too, but when I got off the phone I didn't think, "Wow, I need give him $500." So, I'm torn.

Can you guys provide any additional information I may be missing?

Most importantly, in your opinions, is the mod really worth the $800 it will cost me after labor and fluids?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
The mod is definately worth the $800 you are looking at after parts and labor to install it. As for which one to buy, I cant tell you that because I have only used the Edge. I will tell you this...The guys I know of that are running the APS and cutting fast 60' times also have 4.56 gears...I know of a couple that hit 1.8's and 1 that hit a 1.77, but all had 4.56's and the one that hit 1.77 had 4.56's AND 28" True Hoosier Slicks. Now I know of 2 that have hit 1.7's with the Edge and one has 3.92 with 28" Drag radials and the other hit a 1.70 with 4.10's and 30" drag radials. So take all this into account before purchasing, but I dont think there is a big enough difference between the 2 that will make you regret buying whichever one you choose. Have fun with it!!

And let me know if you want me to post another video of me breaking my 22's loose from a 30mph punch with my Edge converter :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post it man! I never saw it. I read an old post on here (I think it was from you) where Andre said the 2.1 stator would keep your power going at the higher rpm's whereas the 2.5 stator on the APS would cause you to run out of steam.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
Post it man! I never saw it. I read an old post on here (I think it was from you) where Andre said the 2.1 stator would keep your power going at the higher rpm's whereas the 2.5 stator on the APS would cause you to run out of steam.
That was me. That is why Andre said that the Edge was more efficient...because it will pull strong all the way through the rpm band. Heres a little video for you...or 2 :D

Watch the rpms spike 6000rpms very fast when I first hit it...then you can see the speedo stop as it makes the 1-2 shift because the wheels were moving faster than the truck when I hit it.

http://media.putfile.com/20-75-78

And here is a video of me setting the tires on fire trying to hit it from a dead stop. I spin through 1st, 2nd, and chirp 3rd before I start moving...And the video is kinda shaky because I was trying to stay on the road as the truck went sideways...

http://media.putfile.com/0-100mph

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THAT'S CRAZY!!!! Did it perform anywhere close to this with the stock converter?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
THAT'S CRAZY!!!! Did it perform anywhere close to this with the stock converter?
I could not break them loose from a roll like that with the stock converter. I could spin 'em from a dead stop, but not as fast and as bad as it does now with the Edge. And the best part, is that I am spinning my 22's in those videos, so you can only imagine how I would eat through some lightweight 17's. Maybe I can get someone to get a video of my truck from outside the cab this weekend at our GTG...I think that would be more fun to watch that my speedo :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you just talked me into the Edge.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I think you just talked me into the Edge.
HAHA. Like I said, I cant tell you which one is better, but I will say that I am very impressed with the Edge. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
i ordered my aps 2600 stall last thursday. Should be here the beginning of next week.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
I could not break them loose from a roll like that with the stock converter. I could spin 'em from a dead stop, but not as fast and as bad as it does now with the Edge. And the best part, is that I am spinning my 22's in those videos, so you can only imagine how I would eat through some lightweight 17's. Maybe I can get someone to get a video of my truck from outside the cab this weekend at our GTG...I think that would be more fun to watch that my speedo :D
yea man its not like you can hear your tires spinning anyway.... i think i just went deaf in one ear!!! :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HEMI450HP said:
HAHA. Like I said, I cant tell you which one is better, but I will say that I am very impressed with the Edge. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
I agree, both seem like top notch products. Usually this isn't the case with modifications, so its strange. I would love to do gears, but $1,500 for both diffs and a new LSD is just too much for me. Plus, whereas gears are just making you move faster, the torque converter is actually multiplying your torque and increasing efficiency. As both Wayne and Andre said, a torque converter will work with any modifications we have or whatever driving style we prefer - cruising, towing, offroading, or racing. Not many modifications can offer that.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Matt, how much time did the converter drop from your 1/8th and 1/4 mile time? My truck is nowhere near as fast as yours, but I am hoping I can drop several tenths in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
Hey Matt, how much time did the converter drop from your 1/8th and 1/4 mile time? My truck is nowhere near as fast as yours, but I am hoping I can drop several tenths in the 1/8th.
So far, I cant really say how much time they have dropped. I never ran my truck wih the cam and fan and everything running right, so I dont know what to compare to. Only info I have to compare as of now is that my best 60' time before the converter was a 2.01 in 40* air...and now I am running consistant 1.95's in 90* air. I'm going back to the track this Friday, and its supposed to be in the high 50's-low 60's, so get ready for some new times. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll definitely keep my eye out for your results. As I mentioned, being that my truck is a 4x4, its not going to be close to you guys in the performance aspect. But my best 1/8th mile time to date (with my larger tires) is a 10.3 1/8th mile. If I can get down to 10.1 or 10.0 with the converter, I'd be ecstatic!!!!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
ramcrazy said:
Not sure about the Edge but I ordered the aps.All I know so far is
that guy Wayne will never stop talking to you about his product,took
me 35 mins just to get him off the phone :D :D :D
That is how Andre is as well...I soent almost an hour on the phone when I first bought it and then called him back after instaling it, and we talked for another 45-50 minutes.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Ok i have a question!! After everything we have learned first hand from hemi450hp about the edge converter why is everyone still buying the aps? Correct me if i am wrong but i have never seen someone with the aps put up vids, and say this was there best mod yet to date.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
Ok i have a question!! After everything we have learned first hand from hemi450hp about the edge converter why is everyone still buying the aps? Correct me if i am wrong but i have never seen someone with the aps put up vids, and say this was there best mod yet to date.
There have been positive feedback from the guys who have the APS as well. I think hemi450hp made a good point that you won't be disappointed with either, it's just a matter of who you feel more comfortable buying from. Personally I have heard of a few failures with the Edge converter, but none with the APS...I could be wrong. Yes I'm sure if your Edge converter blew you would get a replacement under warranty, but do you want to pay someone to R&R it, or do it yourself twice? Wayne's converter seems to be bullet proof AND he specializes in Chrysler transmission products. He told me the warranty would cover ANYTHING I do to it, including dragstrip and slicks, and was built to easily handle 600HP....that's confidence in the product. Failure rate and which one is better aside, I really don't think there will be a noticeable difference between the two for 99.9% of the guys who'll be using them......

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sawcut64 said:
There have been positive feedback from the guys who have the APS as well. I think hemi450hp made a good point that you won't be disappointed with either, it's just a matter of who you feel more comfortable buying from. Personally I have heard of a few failures with the Edge converter, but none with the APS...I could be wrong. Yes I'm sure if your Edge converter blew you would get a replacement under warranty, but do you want to pay someone to R&R it, or do it yourself twice? Wayne's converter seems to be bullet proof AND he specializes in Chrysler transmission products. He told me the warranty would cover ANYTHING I do to it, including dragstrip and slicks, and was built to easily handle 600HP....that's confidence in the product. Failure rate and which one is better aside, I really don't think there will be a noticeable difference between the two for 99.9% of the guys who'll be using them......
Is this warranty in writing? I'm not bashing Wayne, but unless it is in writing (and we read it before purchasing it), his words mean nothing in regards to a warranty.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.