DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any possible way to do the y-pipe with clamps instead of welding? I am having a hard time finding somebody to do mine. Also, what is the size of the piping?

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
I would have to say "no". I had mine put on at a muffler shop. They have to cut the down pipes after the cats, then bend and fabricate two new pipes to go to the Y.

My 2008 was 2.5" in and 3" out. I bought a Magnaflow Y pipe.

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just having trouble finding somebody to do it.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
you can do anything you put your mind to! i fabbed up some pipe to stick on my exhaust for inspection purposes and held it together with walker band clamps. it worked fine for what i needed it to. you can find pre bent pipe at your local auto parts store. you at least will need a saw zaw.

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
Good luck doing that yourself! Most local muffler shops should do it. There is nothing emissions related to it.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
Good luck doing that yourself! Most local muffler shops should do it. There is nothing emissions related to it.
well some people have more tallent then others. but if he can figure out a way to do it himself and save some money then go for it. dont count the man down.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
I called ahead to a so called custom exhaust shop last friday for an appointment to have my Y pipe installed. When I arrived Saturday for my appointment the guy put it on the hoist, took one look at what had to be done and said "I'm afraid of screwing it up". Needless to say, I departed with no work done. So apparently the job isn't for every muffler shop.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
I called ahead to a so called custom exhaust shop last friday for an appointment to have my Y pipe installed. When I arrived Saturday for my appointment the guy put it on the hoist, took one look at what had to be done and said "I'm afraid of screwing it up". Needless to say, I departed with no work done. So apparently the job isn't for every muffler shop.
i dont see how you could screw it up...

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts

·
paul
951 Posts
Came on! it can't be that hard, i did mine, actually modified mine, cut the pipes apart , cut off the compressed areas and put it back together than weld a band to close the gap, peace of cake if you have a welded and a grinder

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry you don't live closer I would do it for you at our shop... :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
If they are that stupid at that shop, go find another, might have to drive a bit but dont let those guys tell you it cant be done!

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally found somebody that will do it for me. The whole problem I had with the Y was that all of the bigger chain shops said that their company doesn't let them touch it. One guy said that it is not restrictive and since I was the first person to say it was it must not be true. I told him he didn't know sh!t and walked right out on him.

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
Unfortunately there are exhaust shops like that and they don't stay in business very long.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
unfortunately the less than legal guys that do this type of work are those willing to get it done. But my muffler guys is "illegal" but been here for 20yrs but his work is by far the best!

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
I had mine done for $50. I thought that was fair. It did take them about an hour or so to do it though...lots of test fitting! But hey it works...

My top speed is now 180mph..... :rck:

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more question...What is the muffler configuration? Is it offset/center, center/center, or offset/offset?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Wow I thought the muffler guys were strict in my area...

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bump for post #18

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.