DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys im thinkin about having my y-pipe changed out for somthing a lil better than stock and this is where the questions start. I have a borla muffler that is si 3in and dual 2 1/4 out and was curious if there would be any beniffit to having the the stock y-pipe cut off; then dual 2 1/4's ran back to the muffler and then a single 3 dump. The muffler is a straight through design so I didnt think there would be any problems if I just turned it around. Would there be any gains from this vs just replacing the stock y-pipe with a better flowing y-pipe??

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That sure sounds like a waste of time and energy. Even if it was a performance increase it would be extremly small to be not worth.
Change out the Y pipe and go from there. Long tube headers would be a better bet.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
from my personal experience, anything you do behind the cats yields very little gains including running true duals with no y-pipe. Swap in a set of headers, and you will feel a major difference in performance, and sound.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any input on what headers would be good for a STOCK 4.7 ????? all i have as far as performance is a homemade CAI and a Borla muffler. i dont plan on sinking a ton of money into a truck that will never see a track. i was just curious if 2......... 2 1/4 pipes into a single muffler would show any beniffits over just a y-pipe replacement with 3in back to the muffler.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I would wonder if you changed out the stock y pipe and muffler,if 2.5 inch out would be enuff for you.

I think 3 inch with a highflow muffler,new y pipe would be to much velocity being lost,and you would notice a bit of low end lost.
I know for a Hemi 3 inch single is lots,even with lots of mods.
Im sure if they used 3 inch for the 4.7 it was only to try and keep some air flowing through a restrictive stock exhaust setup.
A free flowing 2.5 inch would have a much faster flowing exhaust,than a restictive 3inch.
Which would mean a much broader tq curve.
Thats my quess.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only reason i thought about 3in is because the muffler already has a small section of 3in on it; it starts about halfway under the cab (quad) where there is a factory clamping point at. so the exhaust is factory size till this point, i was just curious about replacing what was left of the factory pipe with somthing larger. anyone else have any inpuut on this idea of mine or should i just do the y-pipe and leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
72 rs, you have any sound clips of your muffler?

·
COUNTRYBOY1
630 Posts
i have a true dule exhaust with 2 2 1/4 running into two flow masters and i lost a load of TQ im about to put my stock exhaust back on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not right now i dont..............i can try ang get somthing in a few days; im at work right now and im wont go home till sunday........( i work on a oil drilling rig). how do you go about posting vids anyways???

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
As long as your muffler is not directional, you should be ok. All you are doing is using the muffler as a y pipe, sounds like a good idea to me. If you do this let us know how it works for you, this might be somthing to think about when its time to change my y and muffler.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
not right now i dont..............i can try ang get somthing in a few days; im at work right now and im wont go home till sunday........( i work on a oil drilling rig). how do you go about posting vids anyways???
That would be great if you can..To post videos I use photobucket.com

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
If you remove the 3 inch piece and run the rest the same as stock,you should get a bit of bottom end back.
So just change out your y pipe,keep it single 2.5 or whatever stock is,and get an adapter for your 3 inch borla.
That will be the easiest,and also the best performance for your truck.
And if you do headers,youll still be setup nice.
Thats what i think.
But im just a rig pig,so what do i know.LOL.

·
Registered
357 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
What headers would be a good match for a 4.7qc?
All we have available JBA's and Gibson shorties for motor. I have the jba's and there is a little gain with them, but not much.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
i have a true dule exhaust with 2 2 1/4 running into two flow masters and i lost a load of TQ im about to put my stock exhaust back on.
take off those flow crappers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.