DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, about 7 months and about I'd say roughly 12,000 (drives alot) miles, my front passenger side starts with this "chirpping". Sounds like 3 chipmunks having an orgy everytime I slowly go over a slighlty rough grade in the road. I took it to the dealer, and all in all, they replaced the rack n pinion (sp?). I'm cool with free parts ($1200) as well as free labor, but it didn't get rid of the problem. I'm really hoping that it's something as stupid and simple as a shock... would like to replace those anyhow. Need something a little easier on my spine, seems like I can feel my disks compressing with every bump lol. Anyhow, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
bad munky said:
Alright, about 7 months and about I'd say roughly 12,000 (drives alot) miles, my front passenger side starts with this "chirpping". Sounds like 3 chipmunks having an orgy everytime I slowly go over a slighlty rough grade in the road. I took it to the dealer, and all in all, they replaced the rack n pinion (sp?). I'm cool with free parts ($1200) as well as free labor, but it didn't get rid of the problem. I'm really hoping that it's something as stupid and simple as a shock... would like to replace those anyhow. Need something a little easier on my spine, seems like I can feel my disks compressing with every bump lol. Anyhow, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I would just grab my .22 and shoot those little b.astards. Replacing rack and pinion ain't gonna scare them away.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol...well, after installing 2 10" orions and a flowmaster 40, they're still screwing...so I'm not too sure that a .22 would take care of it. And the wife gets pretty pissed if she can hear the orions when i pull up, so keeping the radio turned up and the dukes of hazzard hair-pin turns (for the sake of hearing the exhuast) are out of the question. but thanks anyhow

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
is it something you feel or hear?

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mainly it's heard, but only lightly going over small bumps (i.e. my caliche driveway). but not so much over larger things such as speed bumps. I talked to my buddy who also has an '05. he said that his does it as well, and that it's a dodge thing and to get used to it. like i said, if it's my shocks, then cool. I know that stock anything is a turd and would expect it to fail. I just don't want to replace them for the sake of the noise and come to find out that it wasn't them causing the nuissance. comfort on the other hand....

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also...it can be heard both in the cab, as well as from the outside.

·
Andy
323 Posts
sounds either like suspension or body panels rubbing...I have an ol truck that does that when i hit rough roads. whats even worse is that i dont have a radio in it so things sound twice as loud.---Andy

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It very well could be body panels, just curious as to why it's only coming from the front passenger side. Well, looking at the lack of replies, I guess that my situation really is'nt commonplace amongst 3rd gen rams. I guarantee everyone that the mile it goes out of warranty, the dealership will find exactly what's wrong with it. Just sucks that it has to be that way.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slater03 said:
hahahah you said chipmunks and orgy in the same sentence that might be a record!!!!!!!
:thatfunny

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...ok...this is gonna sound funny cuz i think i had the same thing... I had a squeaking noise that sounded like a squeaky bed during sex, I would hear it every time I go over a speed bump...my first thought was a suspension peice...but after research on this site it turned out to be my hood...when you open your hood there are 2 plastic peices that support the hood when shut...just unscrew it a few turns, shut the hood and rock your truck back and forth to see if the squeak still existed...i did this and the sound went away... see pic

Attachments

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
closeup...

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
i had exactly the same problem.... it was the same problem...mine just came back so i got to dig into it more

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...unscrew the plastic peice more...

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate the info...well get right on it. I would've never had expected it to be the hood shifting around, but I'll try it. I'm surprised that the D/A's at the dealership didn't think of this....would have been a helluva lot cheaper on them than replacing the r&p. Once again, thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
give us feedback please

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok...just did it. unscrewed apprx. 3 - 31/2 revolutions. right now it's my turn to watch the kiddos, so it'll be a little while before i can try it out.
ALSO.....just fyi, when i took my truck in, i complained to the dealer about the rear seatlbelts slapping around the plastic. told them that it was an inconvenience to tuck them inbetween the seatback and rear pillar everytime the kids got out of the truck. for free, they place color matched padded vinyl thig-ama-jigs on each pillar so when the buckle hits, it's immediately muffled. I think these pads are standard on the '06's and up....not too sure. just something you folks might want to try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sweet

·
Banned
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE.....
Ok...tried it last night. Didn't want to post then due to the fact that I'm certain that as soon as I yelled "EUREKA!!!", the noise would've came back. But, drove it today and those fornicating chupmunks are still being held at bay. So, with that, chefred112 I thank you.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...hehe..your welcome...thats what wer all here for...to share or ask....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.