DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys when I was bone stock ( except for a Flowmaster SI/DO ) I ran a best 15.9 with the tonneau cover on, spare tire on, tailgate on, and running 35 psi in all four corners. Now with 4.56 gears, Superchips programmer, 180 T-Stat, Taylor Shorties, AirRam CAI and JetScoop with the tonneau cover off, but still kept the spare tire and tailgate on for weight over the rear tires. I ran 1/4 tank of 89 octane. 35 psi in the front and 25 in the rear. My best time the other night was:

Reaction...........6391 Not the best but not bad considering I might do this
once a year if I am lucky

60 Ft...............2.3004 Obviously traction problems.

330 Ft............6.4658

1/8 ET............9.9256
1/8 MPH..........70.88

1/4 ET............15.5035
1/4 MPH..........88.17

I realize that I do not have some of the money and performance parts that some of you have in your rigs, however I would have thought with the programmer, CAI, gears, etc. I would have shaved a hell of a lot more than .4 tenths off of my time! I was expecting mid 14's. Am I expecting too much. This is an '03 which is suppose to be the faster of the Hemi's.

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
The 03s are a tiny bit slower stock for stock, But thats probably not your problem, Density Altitude is the culprit most of the time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well all of the posts I have read seem to say that the '03s are stronger, however, what do I need to do to break into the 14's?

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
When I was running 14.4s at around 1500' D A these were the mods I had.

SCs 3815, So with your truck being an 03 and not having the ability to change the shift points you need to shift manually at 5800 rpm

LTs

E-Fan

28" tall DRs

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
PatriotBlueHemi said:
Ok guys when I was bone stock ( except for a Flowmaster SI/DO ) I ran a best 15.9 with the tonneau cover on, spare tire on, tailgate on, and running 35 psi in all four corners. Now with 4.56 gears, Superchips programmer, 180 T-Stat, Taylor Shorties, AirRam CAI and JetScoop with the tonneau cover off, but still kept the spare tire and tailgate on for weight over the rear tires. I ran 1/4 tank of 89 octane. 35 psi in the front and 25 in the rear. My best time the other night was:

330 Ft............6.4658

1/8 ET............9.9256
1/8 MPH..........70.88

1/4 MPH..........88.17

I realize that I do not have some of the money and performance parts that some of you have in your rigs, however I would have thought with the programmer, CAI, gears, etc. I would have shaved a hell of a lot more than .4 tenths off of my time! I was expecting mid 14's. Am I expecting too much. This is an '03 which is suppose to be the faster of the Hemi's.
For one a few of your mods aren't going to really help you out any, maybe very very very slightly but not enough to notice. Your gears, t-stat, wires, and scoop all together might drop your times by half a tenth. Judging by your MPH your trucks got a high 14 in it with good traction.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
PatriotBlueHemi said:

330 Ft............6.4658

1/8 ET............9.9256
1/8 MPH..........70.88

1/4 MPH..........88.17

Tackle the Exhaust and you will see the High 14's...

You need to be able to move additional air INTO your engine and then move the additional exhaust OUT of your engine... You have the INTAKE area covered, but If your still on the stock exhaust then that is hurting you.

If I had your 03" I and not allot of money I would fo the Pacesetter Headers with "Y" Pipe and then remove my muffler and keep the resonator installed in the back as your new muffler... this will wake things up quite a bit and should get you into the 14's.

Fight the urge to go to LARGE duals... a Single 3" system is more then enough for your HEMI and will not only cost less then a Dual system but in most cases perform just as well if not out perform most Dual systems.

**** I just read your sig... and you have your exhaust already done up... Hmmm Im not sure whats going on, you SHOULD be in the 14's! ****

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
What was the weather like between this run and when you went 15.9? My truck runs .5 slower in the summer than it does in the winter, so weather plays a huge factor in your ET.

Also, if you are spinning off the line, that will also explain your times. Get those tires to stick and you should drop a couple tenths.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what the humidity was, not bad though, the temps were in the low to mid 60's. This compared to the 15.9 was in July with 100 degree temps and matching humidity. I did notice more traction problems with the 4.56's than the 3.92's. The best run ( the one listed ) I did drop the air pressure in the rear to 25 and it launched hard and did not seem to spin. It was my best run and only .4 tenths faster than when I was stock except for the Flowmaster 40 SI/DO. I don't think I am expecting too much to be in the 14's with the mods that I have. Heck I have read where some of you just added a programmer and shaved a second off? That would put me at 14.9 with just the programmer if that were true. The gears, the wires, the CAI, the T-Stat, the Power Wire, the Jet Scoop all together should be worth at least .2 tenths which would be around 14.7 right? To say I am not impressed would be a gross understatement.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First Run:

Reaction.......7239

60Ft............2.3772

330Ft..........6.5092

1/8 ET.........9.9564

1/8 MPH.......70.99

1/4 ET.........15.5461

1/4 MPH ......87.69

I spun badly coming off the line on this run

Second Run

Reaction.........9379
60 Ft.............2.5207
330 Ft...........6.6967
1/8 ET .........10.1502
1/8 MPH .......70.92
1/4 ET..........15.7489
1/4 MPH .......87.63

I tried taking off a little more gently to prevent wheel spin. This cause my reaction, 60ft, and 1/4 to suffer.

Third Run

Reaction..........6391 (I don't do this everyday)
60Ft...............2.3004
330Ft.............6.4658
1/8 ET............9.9256
1/8 MPH.........70.88
1/4 ET...........15.5035
1/4 MPH.........88.17

Best Run when I lowered the air pressure in the rear to 25. It did not seem to spin coming off the line. It launched like a b*tch, but the 60Ft times show obvious traction problems. Again I am not real impressed with the mods I have done.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Since you have an '03, try pulling the #10 TCM wire. It'll free up a bit more power. How long has it been since you reset your PCM? Getting rid of the computer mod-compensation will make a difference, too. Flowmasters, contrary to their advertising, are not the masters of flow and are generally more restrictive than a straight-through design. You might try swapping in a Magnaflow or Gibson, as it will be less expensive than installing an entire 3" single in/out cat-back. Honestly, though, you're not going to see mid-14's with your mods. Fastest I've seen in my truck was around 14.82 @ 95.5 mph with 33" mud tires and 38 deg F ambient temp (w/ current power mods). I'm now running around 15 flat with these 35's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
get rid of the flowmasters for a magnaflow, and get your 60' down. I gaurantee you if you get your 60' down to 2.0, you WILL run at least a 15.0

·
Fast SHOW Truck
4,446 Posts
RyanWJ said:
get rid of the flowmasters for a magnaflow, and get your 60' down. I gaurantee you if you get your 60' down to 2.0, you WILL run at least a 15.0
changing ur muffler isnt gonna make u drop anything especially for another 100 + dollars for a magnaflow

ur spinning of the line to much drop ur 20's to 20 psi like i did and i got 2.0 60', cause that 2.3-2.5 60' is hurting to much and that 200lb cover is also hurting u..... my friend ran a 14.7 at 65* with superchips and intake in his quad but had no cover but if u want to leave it on get some longtubes headers and drop that 60' and u'll really get into the 14's

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
ya I agree taht some of the mods might just not add up as planned. For instance, you could change out thermostats and run the same ET and I wouldnt think it was weird at all. Also, the 4.56 gears aren't necessarily going to help your time vs same truck with 3.92 gears. I think people need to see what they are going to build on to get the most out of each mod. Was this at the same track as the 15.9 runs and similar weather?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same track....the 15.9 run was in mid summer, like July with 100 degree temps and matching humidity and fully dressed ( tonneau cover on, spare tire on, tailgate on ). This run same track mid sixties temps with moderate humidity with the Tonneau Cover OFF, but the spare tire on and tailgate on. Superchips tuned for 91 Octane but running 89. Is a 2.3004 60Ft time spinning badly because it sure did not feel like it spun on this run, it just launched!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
PatriotBlueHemi said:
Superchips tuned for 91 Octane but running 89. Is a 2.3004 60Ft time spinning badly because it sure did not feel like it spun on this run, it just launched!
That is the problem. Running the performance tune with 89 octane is propbably causing you to run lean and it is probably getting some knock retard. This will cause it to pull timng and you will lose hp. Dont run anything but 91-93 octane with that performance tune because it is just asking for trouble.

As for your 60' time, you might not have been spinning. I would back your tune down to 89 octane until you run that tank dry and then put the 93 tune in there and put some real gas in it.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
yes I agree, that could definitely have hurt performance. I would only run 93 octane when I use the performance tune personally.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I read in the DT threads at some point, and it makes sense, that a higher Octane will actually retard the timing due to a higher flash point and a slower burn. I know I am not explaining it exactly they way it was explained, but hopefully you get the picture. I have always thought to run the best octane without detonation, and if it doesn't detonate on 89 what more is 93 going to do?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
PatriotBlueHemi said:
Ok I read in the DT threads at some point, and it makes sense, that a higher Octane will actually retard the timing due to a higher flash point and a slower burn. I know I am not explaining it exactly they way it was explained, but hopefully you get the picture. I have always thought to run the best octane without detonation, and if it doesn't detonate on 89 what more is 93 going to do?
You wont notice the knock retard without hooking it up to a scanner. Just give it a shot on your next fillup. It only costs another $3 per fillup, so it is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i mean..it's called the 91 performance tune....when was using 89 octane fuel ever ok in anyone's mind? i think the programmer itself even warns you on the screen at some point right?

where i live there's 87, 89, and 93

without the Superchips i run 89, with it loaded on the truck i run 93 only

which means i run 93 only LOL

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.