DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long thread, but here it goes...
I finally got my Rancho 9000x Shocks today! I was very excited until I was taking the first shock off of the front, and it seemed so much shorter than the OEM shock. I put the tire back on, and measured the shock while sitting at current height, and my new front shocks would be completely compressed just driving around. No room for the tire to come up at all.
I searched many threads, and it seems that the front shocks should be correct, but they sent me the wrong rear shocks. I know a few of you with cranked torsion bars and/or keys have ordered the same ones I received.
They delivered RS99221's for the front and RS99297's for the rear. According to Rancho's application guide, the fronts are for '94 - '01 1500 Ram's with the Off Road Package. I never even tried the rear shocks because it appears they are for a 3rd Generation Ram with a 4" lift.
I'm bummed because I've been waiting for a week and a half for them to come, and now it looks like it will be a few more weeks.
I have the torsion bars cranked 2 1/2" to make the truck almost level, and the rear is stock height. According to Ranchos application guide, it appears the fronts should be part # RS99197 and the rears should be # RS99274. Is that right?
This is the last time I just give the details of my truck to someone on the other end of the phone, and assume he will get me the right parts.
Thanks for letting me vent.
 

·
I Love Sand!!
Joined
·
63 Posts
I also have a torsion lift via aftermarket keys and I have been looking into getting a new set of shocks. I decided it would be best to call the experts on the matter, so I called Rancho directly to get part numbers so that I could order the correct shocks for my application. Rancho told me that their RS5000 and RS9000 direct replacements for the 3rd Gen would work fine with a leveling lift. They said that their stock replacement shocks will accomodate up to 4" of lift
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
For what it's worth, the Bilstein shock numbers that Gordo at Truxxx gave me are for Gen 2 without the Off Road Pkg front shocks while the rears retain the standard replacement shocks for the Gen 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I have my bars cranked 1 1/2in aso and this is what I have on mine, they work fine: Rear Part# RS99269, Front Part# RS99283. The fronts are a little long but its not a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
TexasZach said:
For what it's worth, the Bilstein shock numbers that Gordo at Truxxx gave me are for Gen 2 without the Off Road Pkg front shocks while the rears retain the standard replacement shocks for the Gen 3.

Have you put your Bilstein's on yet? I keep waiting to hear difinitively that the proposed application works. I am dying to know how they are working for someone who has lifted the front of their truck? Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,983 Posts
BFP said:
Have you put your Bilstein's on yet? I keep waiting to hear difinitively that the proposed application works. I am dying to know how they are working for someone who has lifted the front of their truck? Thanks.
BFP,

Just spoke to Daryl at shox.com and he gave me a number for a
gentleman at Bilstein that can help you. His name is Shane and you
can call him at 1-800-537-1085. Just tell him what your setup is and
he'll give you the right model number.

Good luck!

Sil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Hi BFP,

Haven't installed them yet, am going to try and get to it this weekend. My tires finally came in last Saturday. I'm hoping to get by Dodge tomorrow and pick up a pair of rear wheel well liners too. Meanwhile, due to time constraints I think intially, at the very least, I'm going with a torsion bar crank instead of installing the keys. If that pans out well, I'll sell the keys to someone here.

I'm hoping to get the shocks, liners, tires (already mounted on the new Welds!) installed Saturday morning after cranking the bars to level out the truck. I'll be happy to let you know about the shocks afterward.

Zach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
TexasZach said:
Hi BFP,

Haven't installed them yet, am going to try and get to it this weekend. My tires finally came in last Saturday. I'm hoping to get by Dodge tomorrow and pick up a pair of rear wheel well liners too. Meanwhile, due to time constraints I think intially, at the very least, I'm going with a torsion bar crank instead of installing the keys. If that pans out well, I'll sell the keys to someone here.

I'm hoping to get the shocks, liners, tires (already mounted on the new Welds!) installed Saturday morning after cranking the bars to level out the truck. I'll be happy to let you know about the shocks afterward.

Zach
7 turns should get you just about there. That is what I had, but the shocks kept topping out (I'm now at 4 until I get shocks--that is why I am waiting for a positive report). With the new shocks you should be golden. Sell those keys back. I had gotten a pair some time back for a Tahoe, I never used them. So after I found them in my garage almost a year later, the company bought them back less a 10% restocking fee. Try selling them back to the company you bought them through. Good luck.-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUICK UPDATE...
The tech at Rancho said that cranking the torsion bars up so the truck is 2 1/2 inches higher does not increase the shock length by 2 1/2 inches -- more like 1 inch. He said that where the shock is mounted on the Ram's, it does not need to be increased by that much.
He recommended going with the Rancho replacement shocks without lift, as they will work best (the Ranchos have more travel than the OEM's). Killer_Shee said that in the beginning.
They should be here in a couple days, so I will keep everyone updated with how it works out.
 

·
I Love Sand!!
Joined
·
63 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
QUICK UPDATE...
The tech at Rancho said that cranking the torsion bars up so the truck is 2 1/2 inches higher does not increase the shock length by 2 1/2 inches -- more like 1 inch. He said that where the shock is mounted on the Ram's, it does not need to be increased by that much.
He recommended going with the Rancho replacement shocks without lift, as they will work best (the Ranchos have more travel than the OEM's). Killer_Shee said that in the beginning.
They should be here in a couple days, so I will keep everyone updated with how it works out.
Thanks for the credit!!

Sometimes it pays to just call the people that actually know what they are talking about and get the right thing.

Now I need to decide which Ranchos I'm going to get!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
BFP....Last weekend turned out being a bad time for me to get my freaking tires and wheels on. Meanwhile, I called Bilstein to see about getting some BLACK acordian type boots to replace the blue rigid boots which come with their shock. They do make a black boot, referred to as the Off Road boot, however, it will only work on the front as the rears must be installed at the factory? WASSUP WITH THAT?
I may bust out and buy some Rancho 9000's after all, at least they have a wide variety of colors available.

Onward through the fog,

Zach
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top