DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mistakenly used 10-30 during oil change yesterday as well as my previous change 3K ago, today I changed it again using 5-20, will the re-change be sufficent or should I flush the system.
2008 Ram MDS-Hemi

Thanks in advance
Tom

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Should be fine.

MikeyB

·
Registered
98 Posts
it will be fine, it wasnt that big of a jump in oil type

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
your fine

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the check engine light doesn't come on you're fine.

·
Ram n Ram Ram
1,384 Posts

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
The viscosity of multi-weight motor oil is specified using two numbers. The first number is the viscosity when the oil is cold. This is followed by the letter W (which stands for winter, not weight), which is followed by the number that indicates the viscosity when the oil is at operating temperature. The higher the number the thicker the oil.

This change you did would ever so slightly make the motor and oil pump work a little harder. Nothing that you would notice. If anything, maybe a half a mpg decrease. Just use the recommended stuff from this point on and you will be just fine. I would not even worry about flushing it or anything. All is fine :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys, I was a little concerned after reading this:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html
If you have the MDS system, be sure to use 5W20 oil - note that many dealers will use bulk 10W30 or even 10W40, partly out of ignorance and partly because it’s cheaper. You need to use the right oil if you want to keep your engine. Of course if the owner’s manual says something else, follow its advice - but don’t be convinced by a mechanic or oil-change place. Insist on the right grade and if they don’t use it...get a refund and go somewhere else. A technical service bulletin (TSB) - 09-015-04 and 09-013-04 - says: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.” Watch the mechanic pour it in! (This is said to be the real reason BMW provides free oil changes.)
Tom

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
Trade it in quick. More than likely the flux modulator in the MDS has been decalibrated. It won't be long and your mpg will start dropping and you won't be able to go faster than 88 mph

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
lol
Sounds similar, but not the same. The dealer may be able to recalibrate it. If so, it will be about $30. I would ask them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.