DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone on here have one of the earlier dakotas?

i know where there's a 1991 dakota short bed 2 wd for sale with a 318 engine with an automatic trans and was wondering if they were hard on fuel.

it's supposed to be in really nice shape inside and out but the darn thing has 168k miles on it. :hair:

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
Of course their hard on fuel. All kidding aside, the 91 should have EFI, your looking at around 13-16 Avg MPGs w/ 2wd. My 93 had 167K when I traded her in, she was doing approx 13 mpg's.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so much for buying it for fuel economy. :( i was looking at it for my wife to drive back and forth to work, but our other trucks are doing just as good if not a bit better then that average.

it would still make a nice little hot rod with an engine swap though. :IDEA:

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RAM MAN said:
theres one on ebay right now with a supercharger
now that would be the cat's memow :D

several years ago there was one at the nats that had twin superchargers on it and that thing looked down right wicked.

· AirFuelEddie
5,458 Posts
Oh Yeah, Some young guy should buy that Dak and then buy some Schumacher engine mounts for a 440 RB transplant and then scare the hell outta anything with a bed attached to it!! Especially if it had a weird looking 'T' in the grill!!! :D :rck:

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i'm still considering buying it. i drove it and it still drives good and handles very well. it has a few small places on it but heck for the year, milage and it being a truck it seems to be in good shape.

this might be one of those long term projects, drive it till the engine lets go and then get nasty with it. :IDEA:

then when that happens i know i will have a ton of questions on what i can use from the original wiring and drivetrain. :help:

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
I looked at one befor I bought the Duster, back when I still had my 02' dak. It was a really nice truck owned by a local mechanic. It was a 95-96 if I recall, extended cab with 90K miles & it was in good shape. It had a 318 with hedders, mild cam & good sounding flowmasters, & it ran like a scalded dog! But he was wanting $9000 bucks for it... Sheesh!

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigmacdak said:
It had a 318 with hedders, mild cam & good sounding flowmasters, & it ran like a scalded dog!
that's sorta what i'm afraid i might end up doing to this 91 if i buy it, except i have this little engine that has been sitting in the corner of the garage for awhile now and i'm not sure i want to get into a project like that. :D

"X" block engine, block casting # is 4104230-318-6 casting date is 5-7-79 it is a 4 bolt main block, bore is 4.071.

Bill Miller aluminum rods and Bill Miller forged pistons with 12.5-1 compression with total seal rings.

Chrysler forged radiused billet 3.51 stroke crank with 8 bolt flange.

oil gallery sleeved for roller cam.

Engle solid Roller cam int. lift is .660 ex. lift is .671 duration @.050 int. is 278 and ex. is 287 with 108 centerline.

new-W2 cast iron heads ported & polished and flowed.

Edelbrock Victor jr. intake that has also been ported & polished.

intake valves are 2.08 and exhaust valves are 1.60 and they are the long stainless type.

10* titaniam retainers and 10* locks.

Norris stainless roller rockers 1.6 ratio steel rocker shafts stands and harden rocker shafts.

Crane 3/8" special length heat treated heavy wall pushrods

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
Brian_RO said:
that's sorta what i'm afraid i might end up doing to this 91 if i buy it, except i have this little engine that has been sitting in the corner of the garage for awhile now and i'm not sure i want to get into a project like that. :D

"X" block engine, block casting # is 4104230-318-6 casting date is 5-7-79 it is a 4 bolt main block, bore is 4.071.

Bill Miller aluminum rods and Bill Miller forged pistons with 12.5-1 compression with total seal rings.

Chrysler forged radiused billet 3.51 stroke crank with 8 bolt flange.

oil gallery sleeved for roller cam.

Engle solid Roller cam int. lift is .660 ex. lift is .671 duration @.050 int. is 278 and ex. is 287 with 108 centerline.

new-W2 cast iron heads ported & polished and flowed.

Edelbrock Victor jr. intake that has also been ported & polished.

intake valves are 2.08 and exhaust valves are 1.60 and they are the long stainless type.

10* titaniam retainers and 10* locks.

Norris stainless roller rockers 1.6 ratio steel rocker shafts stands and harden rocker shafts.

Crane 3/8" special length heat treated heavy wall pushrods
Drop it in!! Then watch all the SS Cheby trucks & Lightnings give you dirty looks....as they catch up to you at the next light! :D

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that sad part and i didn't know this till about a month or so ago and that is those 1991 dakotas are heavy little boggers.

i seen a 1992 long bed 2 wheel drive at a drag strip with a built 440 that was turning 6.90's in the 1/8 and the fellow told me it went across the scales at 4600 lbs and i thought there was no way.

then i was on kellys blue book web site the other night and it states the short bed 2 wheel drive trucks with a 318 weigh around 4300 lbs. :huh:

after seeing all of that weight i might have to reconsider the idea of building a serious street/strip truck out of it. :WHT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.