DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, normally at my worst driving (flooring it every chance I get, going 50+ down a side street) I would get 19-21mpg, well my latest quirk is that Ive been driving kinda like that, but not really(sometimes flooring to get into traffic). But I only got around 140miles when the fill up light kicks on, did the math after filling all of the way up and it came out to 15.6mpg. Something is very wrong here, it seemingly started after I used some of the additive for gas to help fuel injectors, but that same stuff helped (the same bottle too, just the other half) another vehicle greatly so it might not be that. This is a 1998 plymouth neon "Expresso" 150hp DOHC with 69k miles. I have no clue when its last (if at all) tune up was, I got it around low68k miles. Thanks for any help. Oil was last changed around 140 (heh) miles ago, so thats completely fresh and the tranny fluid looks clean and smells fine

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Damn dude I drive like that most of the time in an ACR ( not known for the best gas mileage due to gear ratio) and get almost 300 miles to a tank of gas! You sound lucky to be getting half that. Id do a MAJOR TUNE UP to start with all belts,plugs,wires,air filter and so on. That would have to help.I dont know where to go from there but It does need some improvement!Good Luck! GAS IS'NT CHEAP! and I can't see it getting any cheaper no time soon!LATER

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any clue on the price range of how much that would cost? Im a bit in debt from a few things and money is kinda tight. Thanks :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check your plugs man, i put the fuel additive in my truck one time and didnt have a full tank of gas when i did it, burnt my plugs up, i was running on 4 or 5 cylinders instead of 6. And plug wires after that. Those two things will be cheap on you, unless you go all out like im trying to do and get msd ignition wires 8.5mm for about 60 bucks. But id check those first, maybe run it by your local advanced auto parts store, or autozone and sometimes if they are cool they will run it on their computer for you and check to see if anything is wrong with it, or if your computer is reading any malfunctions. Good luck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'd start with the plugs first too. Get the cheap champions. That's what the neons like, the cheap stuff. They're only about $4 to $6 at Autozone for all 4 plugs.

Is it throwing any codes at all?

The only time my mileage was ever under 25mpg was when I had an O2 go out.

Try the plugs and let us know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, well I changed the plugs, wires and coil, took it in got it looked at and had things adjusted that needed to be. And it hasnt done much. But I believe its my driving, my stepdad who drives really easy on the vehicle got 100 miles to a quarter tank, and I get around 100 miles to a 1/2 tank

·
Registered
890 Posts
I beat the snot out of mine. Rarely shifting before 5k RPM and never manage to get below 25mpg.

Something doesn't sound right even if you are driving it hard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it does have the (what the mechanic said) chrystler click, its a lawnmower noise from the lifters or something when the engine is cold oil isnt getting to them but once it warms up it goes away

·
Registered
890 Posts
ExtremeODD said:
well it does have the (what the mechanic said) chrystler click, its a lawnmower noise from the lifters or something when the engine is cold oil isnt getting to them but once it warms up it goes away
That's very common with the stock valve train, but will have no impact on your gas mileage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, lately I have been driving somewhat better, and my gas milage has jumped a ton, right now im at 41 miles at half way between full and 3/4ths of a tank. So maybe it was my driving (was 15 once, then around 21 minimum)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.