DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few weeks back and when I put the traction bars back on, I didnt even have to re-adjust the bumpers. well, today I noticed the bumpers were resting against the springs so i losened the jam nuts and ended up lowering the bumpers on the traction bar all the way down to gain the recommended half inch clearence. That was at lunch time. I drove another 40 miles after lunch and the bumpers are on the springs again! I will now have to remove the jam nuts on the bumper to lower them anymore. The thing is I put a level on the bed of the truck and the rear end is actually half a bubble lower than the front!! WTF? :rck:

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
How is the ride/handling compared to stock?

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it rides better but seems to be setteling more than i was told not that its a bad thing

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Do you notice much difference in handling...better, worse? What kind of shocks are you running?

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh its better and im runnng bilstiens

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
How much of a drop did just the overload springs give you, although it sounds like its still dropping.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
its not going to ride better with the overload out , the overload dont do a thing till the truck has a load in it and the other leaf springs bottom out on it. buy taking it out it will lower the truck the width of the spring...

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
4404spd said:
its not going to ride better with the overload out , the overload dont do a thing till the truck has a load in it and the other leaf springs bottom out on it. buy taking it out it will lower the truck the width of the spring...
Not really,by removing the overload the spring pack no longer bounces off the overload,as the spring compresses it forms around the super stiff overload spring causing the spring pack to stiffen as it touches more of the overload. I have only heard great comments on ride and experienced it myself after overloads have been removed the ride has gotten much better.Now in flip kit applications there seems to be no benfits of the removal of it since the spring pack is entirely below the axle.

Chip,
No two trucks are alike,mileage and towing packages all effect the amount of drop with the overload removal. My truck actually launched better with the overload removed too.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It most certainly rides better and i do alot of off road driving in my job. As for the traction bar bumpers, Im going to re-read the install on that. I think I didnt level them when i put the traction bars back on :rck:

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
slammed1 said:
Not really,by removing the overload the spring pack no longer bounces off the overload,as the spring compresses it forms around the super stiff overload spring causing the spring pack to stiffen as it touches more of the overload. I have only heard great comments on ride and experienced it myself after overloads have been removed the ride has gotten much better.Now in flip kit applications there seems to be no benfits of the removal of it since the spring pack is entirely below the axle.

Chip,
No two trucks are alike,mileage and towing packages all effect the amount of drop with the overload removal. My truck actually launched better with the overload removed too.
im talking under normal driving conditions. not to the point the springs arch enough the hit the overloads....

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
4404spd said:
im talking under normal driving conditions. not to the point the springs arch enough the hit the overloads....
I understand what you mean by its use. If you look close at the spring pack and overload you will see the main spring pack would never even get close to the full length (ends) of the overload without being "overloaded" BUT looking closer will also show how the main leaf pack will still come into contact the overload under normal driving conditions like bumps,potholes,and such to where a spring board effect is going on. I can actually look under there myself and see how the removal will soften the ride up just by taking the "spring board" effect away,which will actually make the leafs work more effiecently.

One of the biggest complaints with 3rd gen owners if the way the truck attempts to get sideways on a small bump in a turn at highway speeds. On every truck I have ever removed the overload and installed a short shackle,these trucks have not had the same symptoms and they all said the ride greatly improved.

I know you know your sh#t Dan,just stating what I have found out after doing this mod to a bunch of these and what I have found out. I really cant explain it any better as Im not an engineer but for some reason it works........now when they go pick up lumber at the yard or tow that vehicle things are a little different.;)

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Actually, as one of those that has done the overload remove and short shackle, I can concur. I don't get that dreaded "sideways hop" across train tracks anymore, and it actually rides much better. Especially on rythmic rough roads, like concrete highways with expansion joints, I don't get the "porpoise" going anymore.

I'd have to say that the only time the overload is in constant contact with the spring pack is when the truck is overloaded. But during the course of normal driving, it will momentarily make contact (during extreme compression), giving that abnormally stiff rebound that causes the hops.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
What do you all need to do the flip kit? I was looking for a 4 inch drop in the back and was wondering what i would need for parts. Also 2 inches up front would be nice. Slammed any suggestions? I am 4 wheel drive BTW. Thank you

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Mcgaughys deluxe kit works with 4x4 trucks BUT since guys are tinkering with torsion bars too much and breaking axles,Mcgaughys has actually quit listing it as a 4x4 kit..........this was done because customers were/are trying to place blame on the kit which is not the culprit. Their spindles are very nice and work well with 4x4's.......there are many with them working just fine. The flip kit is a lower perch,lower u-bolt plate,rear shock extensions,and longer than stock shackles for the 4-4.5 rear drop. Since the 4x4 front shocks are different than 2wd BellTech doesnt have a part number for fronts.........what I recomend for dropped 4x4 guys is just to use stock length replacement shocks of your choice and use the rear extenders so you still have the travel.......this way you dont have to look for a custom shocks and are not limited to just a few brands. GroundForce also has a 4x4 kit but uses front torsion keys.......nice kit But I prefer not to mess with torsion bars unless absolutely needed.

The McGaughys deluxe kti is 525.00 + shipping.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.