• It Will Never Happen

Votes: 71 8.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
10,359 Posts
I can see it for gas mileage but diesel really isnt that cheap, on the flip side to this, you will get some idiot try to pull a big trailer that should be using a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to do the job he is trying to do it with a 1/2 ton truck. The suspension and brakes wont handle it for that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
kidafius said:
My local Dodge guys tells me that they are indeed developing the Liberties Diesel engine for the 1500 Ram.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'd bet your local Dodge guys are on some bad crack or meth. The 2.8L CRD engine is a great little engine in a 4200 lb SUV or even lighter minivan, but it won't cut the mustard in a full size 1500 pickup. Sure, TST is working on a programmer for the Liberty CRD's as we speak, but Ma MOPAR won't crank up the power on these engines due to warranty & emissions issues. I love the 2.8L CRD in my wife's '05 Liberty Limited 4x4...that little thing scoots and kicks the 3.7L's arse.
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Consider my bubble busted. :bawl:

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have not driven the Liberty with a diesel but have driven many Sprinter variants and the engine be it only 2.7 litres is adequate to the task. The Sprinter 3500 has a GVWR of 9990 lbs, that's a payload of 4824 lbs with a tow rating of 5000 lbs, the tow rating is common to all Sprinters. I'm not trying to sell Sprinters just making the point that it works in a vehicle that has a much greater weight capacity if a slightly lower towing one.
The pay off in loss of acceleration and is more than made up for by economy and longevity, if power is what you want the Hemi is there for you.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Doesn't Chevrolet have an "hd" version of the 1500 with a Duramax?

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
10,359 Posts
I think chevy does make a duramax diesel 1500, We are a Dodge site not a chevy site. LOL I could also see putting a diesel in a 1500 or half ton truck a very BIG liability issue, For isnstance I go buy a half ton diesel and tow a trailer that weighs more then the truck is rated for in towing capacity knowing the engine can handle it but the brakes and suspension cant, I decide to put Air Bags on the rear to help the sagging, and go out and run a red light because I cant stop and T Bone a family of four killing all them cause the trailer pushed the truck slap into the intersection. I know a lwayer would be eating that up suing everyone from the driver of the truck, the insurance company and the manufacture knowing they put an engine in a truck that should have been put in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, there would be so many law suit and chrysler would probably go bankrupt. Just food for thought here.

·
Banned
532 Posts
It could only happen in Florida!!! LOL....In Texas, that would never fly....but I understand why you said that....don't take it personal, just that the state has a BAD reputation for housing f'ckin idiots...

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
sherdep said:
I think chevy does make a duramax diesel 1500, We are a Dodge site not a chevy site. LOL I could also see putting a diesel in a 1500 or half ton truck a very BIG liability issue, For isnstance I go buy a half ton diesel and tow a trailer that weighs more then the truck is rated for in towing capacity knowing the engine can handle it but the brakes and suspension cant, I decide to put Air Bags on the rear to help the sagging, and go out and run a red light because I cant stop and T Bone a family of four killing all them cause the trailer pushed the truck slap into the intersection. I know a lwayer would be eating that up suing everyone from the driver of the truck, the insurance company and the manufacture knowing they put an engine in a truck that should have been put in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, there would be so many law suit and chrysler would probably go bankrupt. Just food for thought here.
And you don't think this already happens? There is no way they can hold DC liable for a owner towing too much, it states in the manual the limitations, if you go over that it is not the manufactures fault, it's black and white.

·
Registered
690 Posts
In one of the last issues of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-road, there was an article talking about DC experimenting with a V6 or even V8 CTD engine that they might use for the Ram 1500's and other models. At least I think it was that magazine.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
dieselracer said:
In one of the last issues of Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-road, there was an article talking about DC experimenting with a V6 or even V8 CTD engine that they might use for the Ram 1500's and other models. At least I think it was that magazine.

I really don't see a 2.7 going into the ram when Ford is talking of a six cyl powerstroke like 5.0 for the 150. The smaller cummins seems to the be the ticket.

·
Oh yeah, it's a Cummins!
234 Posts
Diesel fuel isn't expensive, it's the taxes. There are higher taxes on diesel fuel. It just so happens that the heaviest vehicles on the roads right now are tractor trailers with diesels. So, they pay more for the wear & tear on the roads (higher taxes).

I would love to buy a diesel 1500 4x4.

I just don't need a 2500 CTD! I have owned 3/4 tons before and never utilized their full potential (payload and towing that is).

I think it is more than likely going to be a small Cummins in the 1500.

Attachments

·
Bushwacker!
2,788 Posts
chevy does NOT have a diesel in the 1/2 ton pickup HD.

chevy had an awsome 6.2 diesel in their 1/2 ton pickups and full size blazer in the early 80's. those rocked and got great mpg!

mike

·
Banned
532 Posts
That's right, back then it was the 6.5 TD...great engine....I always wanted an extended cab w/ the 6.5 TD.....never got one though

·
Registered
17 Posts
As of Fbe 2005 Dodge started producing a 3/4 and 1T with a hybrid diesel. It is only a matter of time before you start seeing more diesels being produced that will eventually make it in to the 1/2T. Europe will be demanding a diesel option for emission reasons. Nearly every vehicle produced for Europe has a diesel option.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,372 Posts
MSCH2112 said:
6.2 diesel in their 1/2 ton pickups and full size blazer in the early 80's. those rocked and got great mpg!

mike
It was a stamped out 350 that cratered like no other. Oppions will differ, but I feel that it was the worst diesel ever made. In fact, that engine almost single handedly killed the diesel market in light trucks in the late 80s and early 90s. Oh well, lol, back to topic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 300D Turbo is a 5 cyl diesel. If MB knows how to do anything, it is making an awesomly strong and reliable diesel engine. I've always wondered why they kept the relationship with Cummins after MB bought Chrysler/Dodge. Anyway, whether it is a MB diesel or a Cummins, if they had one available when I bought my 1500, I would have gotten a diesel.

·
Bushwacker!
2,788 Posts
JamesJ2525 said:
It was a stamped out 350 that cratered like no other. Oppions will differ, but I feel that it was the worst diesel ever made. In fact, that engine almost single handedly killed the diesel market in light trucks in the late 80s and early 90s. Oh well, lol, back to topic.
we had a pickup and blazer on the farm with this engine. my experience was positive on this setup. how i wish we would have kept the blazer though.

mike

21 - 40 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.