Votes: 71 8.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge have an " approved " diesel engine in the form of the 5 cylinder Mercedes engine used in the Sprinter. The engine has been around for years and has proved to be reliable, long lived and economical. It would make a nice fit for the 1500. The Cummins at 1000lbs+ is just to heavy. Another alternative would be the engine used in the Liberty but the Mercedes is probably more suited to the task. So IF DC were to offer one would you go for it?

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uncbob,
so what is it I did wrong this time?
A poll about 1500 diesels got three responses from you.

1 The axle's in 1500's may or may not be all they could be and I still think the major concern is with the LSD. A component within the axle, open diffs do not appear to be suffering problems.
2 I was asking in a poll about diesel engines, not Hemi's, so the stalling or not of them is not really relevant here.
3 CT D'S are great engines but as I mentioned in the first post in this thread at over 1000 lbs of engine and heaver running gear would be too much for the 1500 negating the point of the poll. The Mercedes engine, in line 5, direct injection, turbo, intercooled, is a great engine and has been in use for decades elseware in the world. If you doubt my recommendation of how well this engine would work in the suggested application I would suggest popping along to your local dealer with a Sprinter demo and try one, or engage in conversation any of the drivers, such as UPS, that you meet in the normal course of your day.
And finely, The maple Captains Bed is really nice, I like the fact it has an aged patina
to it and wish I had the skill and hands to construct such things.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nearly every single model of imported car and truck that is sold here and elseware in the world is available with a diesel engine outside US, even the Mini. The Ford Ranger sold in Europe is only available with a diesel engine.
The Cummins is an expensive engine, you pay a very big premium to have it. Many of the other engines are produced in such large numbers there is little or no premium for them. If you spec out a Sprinter on the Dodge site they are priced pretty nicely.
I know the style is not what most of you would go for but part of what I care about is "Function Over Form not Form Over Function"

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have not driven the Liberty with a diesel but have driven many Sprinter variants and the engine be it only 2.7 litres is adequate to the task. The Sprinter 3500 has a GVWR of 9990 lbs, that's a payload of 4824 lbs with a tow rating of 5000 lbs, the tow rating is common to all Sprinters. I'm not trying to sell Sprinters just making the point that it works in a vehicle that has a much greater weight capacity if a slightly lower towing one.
The pay off in loss of acceleration and is more than made up for by economy and longevity, if power is what you want the Hemi is there for you.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
gsbrockman said:
If you've ever owned and/or towed with a Dodge-Cummins combo, you would know. :cool:
Greg
Greg, 100% spot on, no other rig will compete, got to be a reason DC buy in an engine rather than build one themselves and if you ever work one you'd know why CTD owners tend to be even more loyal than the Hemi gang.

One thing against it is that is a commercial engine of great weight and is too much in terms of torque and being a bit heavy for 1500 application. It is also an expensive engine to produce. A lighter duty, less expensive engine that DC already build will hopefully find it's way in to the 1500 with little price premium, much the same as the Hemi upgrade premium.
As the people that have voted show there is quite a serious market place for this combination and if DC pulled there fingers out and got it out especially with current fuel prices Ford and GM would have to play catch up again and pretty quickly to hold on to their customer base.
A 1500 that has adequate performance and 25+ MPG has got to be a good thing.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The much improved economy of a diesel engine more then offsets the slightly higher fuel price, could be looking at 25+ MPG's and the question raised earlier and also brought up above, why would a 1500 diesel be more likely than the Hemi, 4.7 or the most challenged the 3.7 to be overloaded? Don't get it.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So with gas prices heading towards and in some areas passing three bucks a gallon is the economy of a diesel looking a bit more attractive now?
If a 2500 QC 4X4 Auto CTD can get overall MPG of 19 a
1500 Reg Cab 4X4 Auto should be able to achieve 25+ MPG.
My 4.7 only gets around 13 MPG.
I would love to be able to double my MPG's and stay in a full size truck.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
OK you naysayers out there.
Now would you like to be able to stay in a full size truck and get
27-30mpg 2wd
25-27mpg 4wd
and still have adequate but not mind blowing performance?
Hope they get their act together soon.

·
Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
DonRam said:
Those mpg figures sound a little exaggerated, but even at that, it still wouldn't be cost effective for me since diesel is over $1.00 per gallon higher than gas around here.
OK a little exaggerated but not much.:)
If a four cylinder diesel 4X4 is getting the figures below in real use the larger 5 cylinder MB engine could well achieve 25+ mpg's in a 1500.
I do know an Imperial Gallon is larger but even with that taken into consideration the improvement would be dramatic. I get an overall MPG of 12.5. Would move to diesel like a shot.
Am talking about using a diesel for everyday use not performance.
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_49055.html
United Kingdom Flag Search for New and Used Ford Rangers available in the UK

What things have gone wrong with the car?

Nothing yet, although I've only had it three months.
General comments?

A fantastic vehicle. Being a diesel it is much more economical than the Ford Explorer 4.0 I owned previously. I get around 34mpg from my Ranger.

Four-door Pick-up trucks like the Ranger make excellent versatile family vehicles. I would recommend anyone with a family gets themselves a pick-up for the following reasons:

1. They are practical, with room for five plus tons and tons of luggage.

2. They are safe. It stands to reason that a truck will offer more protection in a smash than a smaller car.

3. They are cheaper than most conventional 4x4 SUVs.

4. Diesel engined examples are economical.

The Ranger is a handsome looking beast too.

It is not very quick, but the low running costs make up for that in my opinion.

I can't understand why more people in England don't drive pick-ups.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ford-ranger-doublecab-diesel_W0QQitemZ4582328668QQcategoryZ9844QQcmdZViewItem

Model:
Ranger

Type:
Four Wheel Drive

Number of Doors:
Engine Size:
2,499 cc

Transmission:
Manual
Right-hand drive/Left-hand drive:
Right-hand drive

Options:
4-Wheel Drive, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Central Locking, Climate Control, Electric Windows, Tow Bar
Safety Features:
Driver Airbag, Immobiliser, Rear seat belts

Fuel:
Diesel

Questions from other members

Question & Answer Answered On
Q: does it have any service history and what type interior has it got
19-Oct-05
A: full service history 12xin book cloth trim very good condition cheers x40prw

Q: Is this a 52 plate or an 02 plate vehicle Does it have single or double electrics
18-Oct-05
A: hi it is a 02 with single electrics but if you need double i will arrange in price cheers x40prw

Q: what is the vehicle like on fuel?
16-Oct-05
A: 30to 35 mpg no problem cheers x40prw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.