Votes: 71 8.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge have an " approved " diesel engine in the form of the 5 cylinder Mercedes engine used in the Sprinter. The engine has been around for years and has proved to be reliable, long lived and economical. It would make a nice fit for the 1500. The Cummins at 1000lbs+ is just to heavy. Another alternative would be the engine used in the Liberty but the Mercedes is probably more suited to the task. So IF DC were to offer one would you go for it?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I suppose it would depend on the HP and TQ. I've only thought of a diesel in Heavy Duty applications, but I'm sure that the fuel economy, reliability, and performance would be very desirable.

Depending on the numbers, I think it could possibly be a hit!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
someone post numbers!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I would definetely like to check into it, but as far as it coming out, I don't see it

·
RAM user
63 Posts
i think i would rather take the bigger cummins 2500 or 3500.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I would take a CTD anyway I could get it. :D Put it in a Pinto if you must.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would absolutely love to see a turbo diesel in the 1500. With the developement of the biodiesel fuels and the ever largening market for diesel aftermarket performance I would jump on a diesel in the 1500. There have been a few rumors flying around of DC putting an I-6 turbo diesel in the Daks for 07 or 08. But that's probably just a rumor.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
!. Get decent rear ends in the 1500
2. Eliminate all the stalling etc problems with the HEMI
3. CTD

·
Investigator
992 Posts
oobray said:
I would absolutely love to see a turbo diesel in the 1500. With the developement of the biodiesel fuels and the ever largening market for diesel aftermarket performance I would jump on a diesel in the 1500. There have been a few rumors flying around of DC putting an I-6 turbo diesel in the Daks for 07 or 08. But that's probably just a rumor.
biodiesel.. you mean vegetable oil?
http://www.greasecar.com/
or
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=7818&page_number=1

I saw this on the news a week or so ago.. they had a VW bug that ran on vegetable oil. From what they said it could run on oil or diesel. He said Chinese restaurants give him all the waste oil he wants so they dont have to pay to haul it off.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I think there's a market for it now, and will be a bigger market for it in the future....... and I strongly suspect DCX is already working on such an animal.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uncbob,
so what is it I did wrong this time?
A poll about 1500 diesels got three responses from you.

1 The axle's in 1500's may or may not be all they could be and I still think the major concern is with the LSD. A component within the axle, open diffs do not appear to be suffering problems.
2 I was asking in a poll about diesel engines, not Hemi's, so the stalling or not of them is not really relevant here.
3 CT D'S are great engines but as I mentioned in the first post in this thread at over 1000 lbs of engine and heaver running gear would be too much for the 1500 negating the point of the poll. The Mercedes engine, in line 5, direct injection, turbo, intercooled, is a great engine and has been in use for decades elseware in the world. If you doubt my recommendation of how well this engine would work in the suggested application I would suggest popping along to your local dealer with a Sprinter demo and try one, or engage in conversation any of the drivers, such as UPS, that you meet in the normal course of your day.
And finely, The maple Captains Bed is really nice, I like the fact it has an aged patina
to it and wish I had the skill and hands to construct such things.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, biodiesel is a derrivative of pure vegetable oil. There is slightly more to it then that though. The formula for biodiesel came out several years ago. It was some college guy's dissertation project or something. there are guys right now that do run pure vegetable oil in their CTD's right now. All it takes is an extra tank on your truck, one for diesel from the gas station and another full of vegetable oil. You start the truck on the diesel, then after about 5 minutes switch over to the vegetable oil. It burns hotter, and cleaner (no emissions because it's not a fossil fuel) plus it saves $$$. But the only bad part about that is that you have to switch tanks again atleast 10 minutes before you turn off your truck so that you can clean the injecters and such out before turning off the truck. The city of Denton Texas actually has a plant that has been working on developing biodiesel for some time now. I believe their plan is to have their city trucks running on nothing but bio in the next 5 years or so.

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
Fascinating Concept?

:IDEA:
Fascinating Concept? And I like the idea, assuming they cut no corners to build it.

Caught me off guard with this one, unless the military or private sector shows some interest in it? I just don’t see it happening, with GM & DC joining forces to manufacture, and compete for a share of the hybrid-vehicle market. Looks like the auto/truck builders may have already decided which direction to take, with regards to fuel-efficient vehicles. We are more likely to see a Hybrid 1500 before the diesel 1500.

It Will Never Happen :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
My local Dodge guys tells me that they are indeed developing the Liberties Diesel engine for the 1500 Ram. That is indeed what I am waiting for. I got a 3 year lease deal with a $15,000 guaranteed trade in value, for which I will be moving to the more efficient small block diesel engine. I'm sure the HP and torque will be refined to meet the Ram's needs. But if it is low, like the v8 Magnum's numbers, I'm sure it'll be superchiped and have plenty of bolt-on's that'll give us what we crave.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bowjack said:
:IDEA:

... with GM & DC joining forces to manufacture, and compete for a share of the hybrid-vehicle market. Looks like the auto/truck builders may have already decided which direction to take, with regards to fuel-efficient vehicles. We are more likely to see a Hybrid 1500 before the diesel 1500.

It Will Never Happen :)

Actually, I there was a study done. I admit, I'm too lazy tonight to get the credentials, so I'll just post what I remember. The report was that hybrid owners will have to drive hundreds of thousands of miles to get their money back from the extra cost of the hybrid.

That is speaking of today's hybrids. I believe that the diesel engine is the wave of the future. Deisel is something like 40% more efficient than gasoline, and now that is can be made from animal fat and vegitable oil, I expect the small block engine to be exactly what GM and Ford will be moving to in the future. Face it.....hybrids might help gas efficiency, but they still rely on fossil fuels. Trucks will not be completely electric, and deisel fuel looks to be the most promising engine technology for the next 10-15 years at least.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As noted these engines have been used for a while over here in the "Sprinter" vans that MB sell over here....they are good engines, some of the larger turbo models in the vans will give the average family car a run for its money, and they are very reliable. Furthermore, a customer of ours where i work has a chip for his which makes the thing fly....so i would be all for it as long as they put in one of the bigger engines.....but i think i would still have the Hemi....!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
There have been past press reports that Mercedes would like to have a pickup truck to offer overseas in Africa and South America. One way to do this would be for Mercedes to source Ram pickup frames and bodies from Saltillo Mexico and put the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel and trans in it along with leather interior, etc.

I believe the Cummins/Dodge contract that was renewed 18 months ago still gives Cummins the right to supply ALL diesel engines for Dodge pickups. This seems crazy at first, but supposedly DC resigned with Cummins after doing customer surveys that found that its Ram pickup customers were more loyal to the engine than the pickup. In other words, if Cummins had been cut loose and signed up with Nissan/GM/Ford/Toyota, many present Cummins-Ram owners would buy their next truck from someone else. This must have galled DC knowing that they can source diesels from Detroit Diesel, Mercedes, or Mitsu.

There is a 50/50 chance that when I replace my 180,000 mile 1995 Ram in a few years it will be with a Sprinter Van cab chassis with a Fontaine custom pickup bed. For all practical purposes this would be a diesel Sprinter pickup.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Remember when GM put a 4 cyl. dielsel in the Chevette? If a car chassis can handle one, I should think a truck can also. But I personaaly am not sure about such an engine in a 1500. I'm shure for the price, a 2500 or 3500 would justify the cost of having the diesel as compared to the price of having it in the 1500.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nearly every single model of imported car and truck that is sold here and elseware in the world is available with a diesel engine outside US, even the Mini. The Ford Ranger sold in Europe is only available with a diesel engine.
The Cummins is an expensive engine, you pay a very big premium to have it. Many of the other engines are produced in such large numbers there is little or no premium for them. If you spec out a Sprinter on the Dodge site they are priced pretty nicely.
I know the style is not what most of you would go for but part of what I care about is "Function Over Form not Form Over Function"

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.