DodgeTalk Forum banner

Would You Buy a Diesel-Powered Ram 1500?

• Yes

Votes: 218 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 13.6%
  • Not Really Sure

Votes: 30 10.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll buy one the moment they come out, then hope they get the emissions crap figured out fast!

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
No, simply because diesel is so much more expensive than even premium gas plus it's hard to find around here.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i think my next one will be a 2500 not sure if gas or diesel me for towing reasons

loco

·
Quadder
433 Posts
My experience with diesel trucks has been that they seem to get pretty consistent mileage whether or not they are in town or on the highway. Our Duramax gets 20 mpg city/highway whatever delivering stuff here at work. My 4.7 dak gets 13 in town and 20-22 on the highway. If a diesel were able to get 20+ city and highway that would be great. It seems that the new Jeep diesels are pretty good compared to their gas brothers. 25-30% improvement.

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
I would for sure. As long as it gets high 20 or low thirties for gas mileage. Let's face it, like some have already said, I don't want a 2500 so make it good on fuel and then it would offset the cost of diesel anyways.

By the way. If diesel is 1.00 more a gallon and you get 21mpg you still come out ahead on a vehicle that gets 16 mpg on gas. Now imagine if you got 30 miles to the gallon in a smaller cummins. I work with four guys who all drive Dodge diesel and not a single one is getting less then 18 in winter(minus the really cold streaks) and most get 20-23 in summer.

I don't want a super high output diesel in the 1500. I don't think a diesel truck should ever be thougth of as sporty or fast. Call me old school but If this new small cummins has 220 horse and 450lbs of torque along with 25+mpgs than you can slap me in the mouth and call me Susan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now that both Ford and GM have dropped their small diesels for the truck/car lines. I would think that now is the time to push faster forward with the Cummins V6/V8 lines, both improving fuel milage and pulling in the Dakota/ Jeep GC/ and 1500's.
These fuel prices are not going to stay low for much longer and Dodge/ Jeep needs to stay on top of this.
Even try and pull one of the Cummins marine engines and put it to a generator/electric motor combo. Just trying to keep US employed!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I personally think they're screwing it up with a V-shaped diesel. Diesel engines are built for one purpose: Torque advantage.

The V design offsets that slightly. Not to mention all the excess parts.

Id like to see an updated version of the 4bt dropped in there personally. Itd have to conform to newer standards though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If they can build one as reliable as the current Cummins in the 2500's and it will get +25 mpg and have a better towing advantage than the hemi and not be stupid expensive then I'd be in. I pull a travel trailer, not heavy enough to justify a 2500 w/Cummins but is sure would be nice to have a little more grunt than my hemi provides.

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
If it proved reliable, 4x4, and such I would give it a look....

·
Milo
1,426 Posts
I would after the 1500 eng is out for a couple of years.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not a chance in HELL! Next truck will be a 2500 4x4 CTD

·
Registered
367 Posts
I voted 'no', but only because I have a 2500 CTD. Before I purchased this truck, I was salivating, waiting impatiently for Dodge to come out with their 1500 diesel. As soon as they pulled the plug on that program, I went out and purchased a 2500 diesel. Now that I have the heavier duty truck, I have no need or desire for the 1500 diesel.

·
GetALittleMudOnTheTires
8,389 Posts
i would buy one

·
Police, FIre, EMS
313 Posts
im pending im all for it, but have to see what else they change, suspension, il probably just go with the 2500, but it all depends on the economy 2.

·
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11,190 Posts
Dodge just announced they will be introducing a new light-duty Cummins diesel engine in the Ram 1500 truck sometime after 2009. We'd like to know how DT members feel about being able to get a diesel in the 1500 for the first time ever. Would you be interested in buying a truck like this if the price was reasonable? Vote in the poll, and post your thoughts here!
I'm not a big fan of the black smoking monster. The only smoke I like is when it's rolling off the tires. I'd be willing to give one a test drive and see what it's got before I pass judgement on the new design. :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would buy one. I like the suspensions of a 1500 for the sake of daily drivability, but I like the towing power, gas mileage, and reliability of a diesel.

·
11,190 Posts
I would buy one. I like the suspensions of a 1500 for the sake of daily drivability, but I like the towing power, gas mileage, and reliability of a diesel.
Awesome to hear. I've never rode in a truck with a diesel.

·
11,190 Posts
Awesome to hear. I've never rode in a truck with a diesel.
BNF's dad is looking to buy a 2007 with the 6.7L Cummins. Sounds like a beast. :rck:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.