DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have an 05 RAM QC 4.7 2WD 3.92 Gears. It was purchased in 4/2005 brand new and I am approaching 24,000 mi. I have had no mechanical problems to date, and there have been no recalls. I try to baby her and commute about 3k miles / 3-5 months. Flowmaster 50 & KNN drop in only mods. What do you folks suggest on pointers for an extended warranty? Do u think I should get one? What prices are good? Pros or cons? Thanks. :rck:

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
I guess the true question would be.... how far do you plan to mod it?? That would be one of the things to keep in mind. Stealerships love to give you the reach around in some cases when that comes into play. And you also know how the game goes.............. #1 you buy it…. you’ll never need it. #2 if you don’t buy it you’ll need it…the beautiful game of catch 22.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valid points Wasinger. Working late (time 12:18am) and wasn't actually expecting a post till later..... Please keep the posts coming. :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Dodge was offering extended warranties for 0% and if you didn't make a claim then you got your money back.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the chrysler service contract. It s warranty covers me for 7/70 with a deductible of 100. It cost me $1500. They have finance programs which make it 40 a month for 3 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got an extended warranty, on the powertrain only, for 7 years for about 800 bucks. i haven't used it yet and hope i don't have to, but it is pretty cheap insurance should something go catastrophicly wrong.

·
Registered
339 Posts
definitely consider mods you plan on i didnt want any warranty when i got mine the guy thought i was nuts

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are certainly pros and cons to it. I almost bought an extended warranty when I bought my truck. In fact, it was in my signed contract, but before I left the dealership I asked the finance guy if he would take it out. (of course he gave me the line of me being crazy for not buying it).

Anyway, I'm so glad I didn't buy it. I'm sure they'd find some mod I did to void it, and at that point it would have been $1400 out the window.

But on the otherside of that, if you plan on staying stock, and the warranty is with a reputable company, then it might not be a bad idea. MOST of them will give you a 100% refund now if you don't use any of your warranty, so that makes it nice.

·
Yeehaw!
1,397 Posts
Way back when I bought my truck, I did buy an extended warranty. In my case, it was one of the smartest things I've ever done because since I bought it, both my transmission and rear differential went out. The extended warranty covered both repairs and that more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Consider this, if you have an A/C or tranny problem, you've already paid for it and all other repairs put you ahead of the game.

I bought one because I don't plan to mod mine too much, mine goes to 7 years or 85,000 miles. I paid about $1,400 and feel like I'll certainly have that much in repairs if I keep it to 85K miles, and if I get rid of if before then, I can sell it with a warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought a new Ram a year ago.

I expect it to work as well as other rigs have, for the duration of the time I have it, without the added expense.

I have confidence in the product and in 'large number probability theory'.

I may be wrong.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Its like what everyone else was saying about how far you are planning to mod your truck. For me I purchased the extended warranty and glad I did. After 50k I had the worst of luck with the truck. Total cost in repairs after two years was over 10k in warranty work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Only thing that Id like to add here is "Question Question Question" if you buy an extended warranty that is not from the factory Question the salesman about EVERY thing if he tells you something that is covered and it sounds too good to be true GET IT IN WRITING!!!

I say this because I was sold an extended warranty on my 98 from a well known warranty company (rhymes with HEN, and starts with P) and that turned out to be the worst nightmare i have had.

I bought the truck used so I figured this was a good purchase for 1500 bucks.

35 days after I got the truck the starter went ---not covered considered wear item

42 days... Water pump went---- not covered considered wear item

58 days TRANSMISSION went--- this was covered but here is how it was covered. They allowed only 600 bucks for the cost of a rebuilt tranny, and only aloted 4 hours for labor :huh: . this was to include removal of old trans, complete teardown of tranny to locate cause of failure to determine if it was covered, and then rebuild and install new tranny.

It takes a mechanic 4 hours to get all the air pockets out of the new tranny lol.

So total bill for this was $2600 warranty paid $1100 tax, fluids, gaskets not covered, my out of pocket was $1500. And this was for a covered item. Sounds more like an HMO then a warranty.

So all I can say is if its not an extended offered by DC themselves read every word of the contract and then question every word you've read.

And by the way the truck was fine for 3 montha after that and then started with more problems. So one morning I took it to the local bone yard and stood there and had a friend put it in the crusher as I stood there and made sure it was flat.

Promptly went out and bought an 06 Hemi!!! and got the factory 7/70 extended.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the scoop : 1st offer - $395 down, $120/mo for 18 months, no deductible, for 100,000 mi or 5 yrs - whichever comes first.... Told em money was kinda tight right now... Just like that, he talks to "manager," drops price down to $195 down, $84/mo for 18 months. Go to any Dodge dealer I want for service. Seems as if I was on the car lot again, negotiating prices ...What gets me is that they were not able to send me anything in writing about what is covered, but wanted the money up front. I told them let me think about it...... What do you folks think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.