DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'98 Ram 4x4.....Should you be able to twist the tie rods back and forth? I can twist mine, and it makes a clunking sound. Also, would worn tie rods lead to a shudder when braking? Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
They can lead to shudder. There should be a little play in the tie rod ends at the joint, but with that clunking it does not sound normal. Might be time for a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tie rod end

I am having a major clunk in my drivers side tie rod end. I see it popping in and out (some one turning the wheel). The odd thing is that the passenger side tire is balding real bad but the bad tie rod is on the drivers side. My question is has anyone one ever change the outer tie rods themselves and is it had to do? And should I replace both outer tie rod end? Only the drives side is making the noise

·
Registered
48 Posts
I repaired the tie rod ends, drag link & pitman arm links, and track bar link with Luke's Link (www.lukeslink.com) . I was pleased with the results and the bushings can all be tightened or even shimmed if necessary. And, you probably won't have to get a front end alignment because you don't have to remove the whole tie rod end.

All of these needed replacing and the truck handles a lot better now, but it still didn't get rid of the clunking sound. I'm not sure what is causing it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I had a clunking in my front left and it persisted for a while...I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then, one day, I heard some serious grinding and popping noises, and whatever that clunking noise was, actually led to my hub bearings and axle joint going bad. Replaced those, and the clunk was gone. Maybe check into that?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine was doing the samething a month ago. But I only changed the pass.side. Only had $100 to spend to fix it. shopped around and found it at fisherauto for $98. Everybody else want'ed $160 alls good now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.