DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family decided to take a mini vacation to Disneyland this past week, and to also give our new 2005 D (5.7 Hemi) it's first workout. Well after arriving in Anaheim on a early morning, after 6 hours of driving, the D was making a subtle whining sound, coming up from the floorboard. I at first thought it may have been the exhaust temp after the long drive. So I forgot about it.
The next day the noise was still there , even when the car was still cold. More strangely the car only made the sound when it was in drive, >37mph and at 1500rpm. The faster the D got, the higher the pitch and sound became. I could only describe it as a whining sound. I had first thought that this was the infamous drone sound found on 04' models. Anyhow after our vacation and the noise seem to have gotten louder. I could only wait until this weekend to have the D looked at, at the dealer we bought the car at.
Sure enough, after a tech took a test drive, they diagnosed and confirmed that the pinion on the front diff, had worn out. Worn out, because the part was most likely defective. The parts have been ordered but are 5 days out. So until the warranty work starts we're driving around in a car that sounds like a SUV on big monster tires. Also we are taking the D back on Tues because we have noticed that there is some paint bubbling on the rear right passenger door, on the lower panel closest to the running board.
All in all I'm now having my doubts about buying this Durango, :WHT:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not to insult intelligence but did you follow the break-in period stuff in the manual. I understand that is mostly for correct seating and meshing of the diffs. Sorry to hear about your problems. J.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes we had followed the normal break in procedure/time. Unilike others who have recommended driving hard, we actually did not drive the D hard during the first 1K miles. This is even more disturbing, because we were actually "babying" the D before driving down to LA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hopefully, you have gotten your problem sorted-out. They must have missaligned the ring and pinion at the factory or a faulty part as you pointed out. Another guy said he found his diff empty. Who do they have doing their diffs?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the original noise is still there after the work was completed. The D is going back in today for that same issue as well as bubbling paint on the right rear passenger door....along with a drivers side door glass that has a knick in it. Wow the quality of these cars makes me want to own another Dodge in the future....

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problems were fixed, including the front diff. It was just entirely rebuilt at the dealer. So far there hasn't been any noise for about 2k miles-

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm having the same problem at 22000 miles. Just started a couple months ago. I had the truck in and they replaced the left shock and sway bar. I thought this was pointless at the time, and it was. So they found that the passenger side front shock was leaking. They replaced this. The truck definitely rides better. But there is still this knocking noise. It comes at low speeds usually. Seems to do it more when it's warm, but I think that is more coincidence. I'm going in tommorrow to have the rack and pinion replaced. They talked about replacing the steering column as well.

So you're not alone. I followed break in instructions as well. I didn't experience this problem until about 21k.

Wish me luck. I'm tired of it being in the shop. And if I keep it, I'll get the extended warrenty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never herd of allowing a rearend to "break in" its either set up right or its not. I have had 5 mustangs that I had lower gears put in over the years. The mechanic would always take it for a spin and nail it quite a few times then listen. They never whinned or made noises. I put over 70k on every set of replacement gears and never had a problem. Its most likely a problem with the bearings/bearing manufacturer. Bad bearings can cause excess play, hence wearing the pinion out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you follow the breakin process and actually use the owners manual as a reference as a guide to vehicle performance the first thing you need to do is lean over and kick your own ass because your a complete dumbass who should not own a car or a SUV..

Follow the break in process for the rear end...LMAO what a dumbass..lal

you sir have not a friggin clue what reality is..

you have to be one of them cheap fuks who doesnt tip either..

Trade in the D and buy a foriegn car... OK...SELL YOUR DODGE PLEASE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.