DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing the oil and filter the other day and noticed the lower ball joint on passenger side to have shredded rubber seal. Of course they are sealed so no lube needed according to the wizard at Dodge that put these in the Grand Caravans. Anyways, its an 03 with 31,500 miles. Factory warranty expired in July. I have the extended Dodge warranty which will cover this. My questions are: Are there any recalls for this so I can avoid the deductible? Are ball joints supposed to be replaced in pairs? The other side looks ok, but I think they should both be replaced. Thanks to all. New to forum and I look forward to replies . Also, will they be replaced with one with a grease fitting? If no, can I demand one?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i do not believe the ball joints need to replaced in pairs

I believe the ball joint and the control arm come as a unit; the ball joint itself cannot be replaced on its own

I am ready however to stand corrected on these points

·
Registered
194 Posts
Because of wear characteristics, ball joints should be replaced in pairs. Sometimes this rule is broken if you are dealing with relatively new joints.

Summit lists ball joints for a 2003, separate from control arms. They are a press fit. I don't think they come with grease fittings any more.

The boot is replaceable with polyurethane/rubber boots and may also be an auto-store item. As I recall, ball joints are an 80-100K mile, wear/replace cycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its at the stealership. They are going to replace both ball joints. The ball joints and lower control arm are a one piece unit. Very glad I got the extended warranty. Only going to cost me a 100 bucks for the deductible. I'm pleased with that, but 31,000 miles and new ball joints concerns me though. This van is never abused and operated by my wife most of the time carting the kids around etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
acton mike said:
apparently I stand corrected
See, you spoke too soon.
Apparently you can't trust an online catalog to have it right either. I really wasn't trying to correct you as I haven't tried to mess with 4th gen stuff. I knew 3ed gen's were renewable. So after filling in the appropriate year, up it came as a lower ball joint replacement. Of course it could still be replaceable and the $tealer is wrong/whatever. Curiosity got the better of me too...this time.

I'll bet that lower c-arm/ball joint is pricy. I wouldn't want to fork over the cash it will cost for replacement of those parts especially if it's a 31K replacement cycle on ball joints.

DBCC make sure you get a good 4 wheel alignment after all this is back together. Did they make any comment on how/why these joints failed so quickly? I guess you better keep that extended warranty up to date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.