Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"99 GC - 3.8 160K
I've had these non start problems for the past few weeks and visits to dealerships have not come up with any answers. I'll park the van and go and do whatever and return to the van and attempt to start it. NO GO ! Power is available to all the electric systems and they work, but not a click from the starter.They've checked the starter and say that it is good. They've even run a new wire from the solenoid to the starter. It still does the same thing. Does this sound like a solenoid problem or even the ignition switch??? Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would hope the dealer at least tried to see if voltage was/wasn't available at the starter when the key is turned. If it isn't, then it could have been a bad wire but it certainly sounds like they were on a fishing expedition.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What if you put the tranny in Neutral. I am thinking the neutral safety switch?! If there is no click then either that or the ignition, but this should be an easy test.

Now my other car does this very randomly and drives me nuts because we can not "test" it. One/two no go and then starts on the third and that happens only once a month. Not that I like to be stuck, just the anxiety of not knowing when the real doom is going to happen.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't start - stalls

Can anyone tell me where to find the emergency neutral switch on this 99 GC, 3.8 and how to check it ?? Checking power to starter - would I meter the power at the starter when cranking ??

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's generally on the steering column up underneath and is actuated by a rod off the shifter.
As far as checking for power, you would do it while attempting to crank the engine which probably will make it a 2 person job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.