DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got a deal! They are brand new, the tires alone are worth more than I paid. The nice part is, I only live an hour away so I can save on shipping by picking them up. I'm stoked! Goodbye heavy, big ass 20's. Doing this has also effectivly changed my 3.92's to 4.09's because these tires are 1.4" shorter than the 20's I have now. More low end, yippie! Here's a link to the wheels I bought, not my auction but the same thing. I got mine for $515.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43957&item=7976755815&rd=1
Jim

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
actually, you went from 3.62's to 3.78's

your truck has 3.92 rear end ratio, but you measure that with a 30" tall tire

:D lol

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
dropmob said:
Which ever.. GOod deal

Dodge Factory 20s are so played out .. plus you should be able to make a little money off them.
I agree

That's why I got the Cast aluminum 17s
And they match my two tone silver lower paint

If I ever go to 20s it will be after market

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Chauncy said:
actually, you went from 3.62's to 3.78's

your truck has 3.92 rear end ratio, but you measure that with a 30" tall tire

:D lol
Relative to what he had it was like upgrading to those 4.09s and in addition the weight is less

·
5,089 Posts
yes, I know what he meant, I just pointed out he didn't start with 3.92's

he started with 3.62's

so relative to what he had, he went from 3.62's to 3.78's

·
Registered
111 Posts
He sarted out with 3.92 and ended up with 3.92! There is no such thing as "measured with 30" tires". My Dakota had 3.92 gears and 28" tires, my Durango had 3.92's and 31" tires, but the ring and pinion still have the same number of teeth in both trucks. Differential Ratio has absolutely nothing to do with tire size.
Final effective ratio does, so a shorter tire will act like a lower ratio, but it won't change the gear ratio in any way! ;)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
So you gonna see if you can get into the 14s with those 17" wheels?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
silverbullit said:
So you gonna see if you can get into the 14s with those 17" wheels?
That would be cool, I hope they are worth .24 seconds. I do know I got better mpg driving back with them on. I reset my mpg computer on the 82 mile drive up and got 18.2 mpg, then reset in on the way back and got 19.6 mpg. That was driving with the A/C on both directions and a nasty crosswind for about 40 miles both ways, everything was the same. I hope the mpg goes up some around town also! Here's two pics, one with the 20's and the other with the 17's I just got.
Jim

·
5,089 Posts
yeah, we mean effective ratio, he has a 3.92 gear ratio in the axle, but on the ground he effectively has 3.78's now

of course the gears still have the same amount of teeth :p

but to find out the true rpms of a certain ratio, the standard is 30" tires that they measure with

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.