DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read the best way to wire up the quicktime electric cutout is to splice the wire into the cigarette lighter. I took out the dash today to take a look and there are two wires going into the back of the cigarette lighter, a black one and a pink one. Which one do I splice into? Also, where around here is the best place to ground the wire?

On a side note, I run my gps from my cigarette lighter, would it be bad to have both my gps and cutout running from the same place?

Kyle

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Pm Mfjikac

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Tap into the cig lighter at the bottom of the cupholder. Those 2 wires are all you need. One will be power and the other ground. Splice them both and play with your connections. See which wires work where.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
If you don't want to use the cig lighter.....I have another way you can do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i got it all wired up today to the cigarette lighter by splicing the wires to it. Can I not use the cigarette lighter now?

What other method do you have?

Kyle

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I dont smoke, so I spliced into the cigarette lighter. You can splice into any wire in the truck that turns on with the ignition. You dont want the switch to have constant power because it will drain your battery when the truck is off.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
mjfikac i really dont think it would drain the battery at all. just my opinion if you ahve the switch off or open there is no path to ground so there is no current flow how will your battery drain. i could be wrong though i dont have a cutout or know how the wireing is set up. but it shouldent pose a problem. in the way i am thinking of how it would be set up (power source-------switch----------c/o motor------ground)

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
03ramit1 said:
mjfikac i really dont think it would drain the battery at all. just my opinion if you ahve the switch off or open there is no path to ground so there is no current flow how will your battery drain. i could be wrong though i dont have a cutout or know how the wireing is set up. but it shouldent pose a problem. in the way i am thinking of how it would be set up (power source-------switch----------c/o motor------ground)
The switch that comes with the cutout has a light on it that is always on as long as it has power. open=green, close=red, nuetral=white. If you aren't using the cutout it shines white until you move it up and down, in which case it will shine green or red. I'm sure that little light wont drain too much power, but that is the reason why you need to get power from a wire that is only on when the truck is running. The installation manual recommends it also.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
ok thanks for that it makes sence now. i didnt relize it had a light on it. but who cares do you really need a light to tell youif that thing is open im sure that the sound would tell you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
03ramit1 said:
ok thanks for that it makes sence now. i didnt relize it had a light on it. but who cares do you really need a light to tell youif that thing is open im sure that the sound would tell you.
The light tells you if you are opening or closing it. It doesn't tell you if it's open or closed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So again, does anyone know whether or not I can run my GPS along with cutout from the cigarette lighter?

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
fender it depends on the current draw from the cut out and the gps and the gauge of the wire coming off the cig lighter. if the wire is large enought then yes it can if not it WILL get hot and melt. possably a fire hazard. let me look at the manual and see how big that wire is and ill post it for you. personally i would run it off another source.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
ok it is an 18 gauge wire on the 04 rams so you should probably look for a diffrent wire to run it off of. do you have the power outlet in the center console?? if not you could install it into the wires run under the seat for that. if you look there is a wireing harness connected under the seat(drivers). its for the seat belt light, power seats and the console power outlet. you could use the power outlet wires for your power and groung you need to check them w/ a test light or multimeter to see if they have power. eather all the time or when the key is on. the power wire for the power outlet is red and dark blue. its an 18 guage wire and the wire #is A405. now the ground wire is a black wire, 18 gauge wire # Z939. hope this helap if you need any more info please let me know.

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
I know in my 03, the power point in the console is always on. By the way, how much are these cutouts costing? And where are you getting them?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
FreakshowWilly said:
I know in my 03, the power point in the console is always on. By the way, how much are these cutouts costing? And where are you getting them?
I got mine from quicktimeperformance.com for $199 + shipping.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
hemi_outlaw said:
how much are these cutouts i need one
See previous 2 posts...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.