DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a source for a dash/cab wiring harness for my 87 w-150? I can't seem to find a direct factory replacement and I doubt my dealer has one. Also has anyone put a true GM type HEI distributor in or a GM 1 wire alternator? I will have to rewire my truck completely due to a serious melt down and would like to eliminate the resistors, modules etc and keep it simple and clean. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance folks...Brian

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I've never been able to figure out what the BIG DEAL about a "1 Wire alternator" is.... Is it 'easy' for those who don't care or want to understand how a charging system/alternator works? ... Hell, it's NOT Rocket Science.
Anytime I've ever had to buy a rebulit alt, with a 'built in' voltage reg, it seems the price of the alt was X4 .... I'll take my external VR any day.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I here you... The powermaster regulator is actually mounted on the outside of the alternator and has a drawback that you have to rev the engine to ~ 1800 rpm to energize it or it won't charge.

·
Registered
527 Posts
X2 on the external voltage regulator. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, maybe mama skipped a day with yall, "if you don't have anything good to say..." So I'll ask again more specifically, does anyone have anything constructive to say in regards to my question??? I have a number of specific reasons for wanting this set-up and I don't feel like sitting here typing them all. Thanks Again to anyone that can help. And thanks to those of you who did at least take the time to share their thoughts on the subject.

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
On the "true" HEI distributor, there was a company named Davis that used to make em for Mopars and Furds; but they used to advertise them as "DUI" distributors; have not seen their ads in a while; maybe something to do with the other meaning of DUI?

Any junk yards in your area? The one by me has several around that year.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for your help guy's , but maybe I phrased the question wrong. I can not find a source for a dash/cab wiring harness new or otherwise, preferably OE. I am aware of most all the vendors that have the distributor and alternator I'm looking for but what I wanted to know from you folks is, has anyone tried these components before and what their experience may have been, good bad or ugly. Thanks again for any help you can offer...Brian

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
Thanks again for your help guy's , but maybe I phrased the question wrong. I can not find a source for a dash/cab wiring harness new or otherwise, preferably OE. I am aware of most all the vendors that have the distributor and alternator I'm looking for but what I wanted to know from you folks is, has anyone tried these components before and what their experience may have been, good bad or ugly. Thanks again for any help you can offer...Brian

I feel for ya....

my 87 cab wiring is less than perfect - it melted in areas....I, for the short term replaced the offending wires to get the truck on the road, but a month or so ago, I stumbled upon an 86 truck in the yard (it was a /6 with a 4 speed) but the wiring harness was in great shape. I pulled it out (it only cost me 12 bucks), and will be putting it in eventually. So, in the short answer, I think you'll have to find a harness in a yard...but I think many years interchange....

·
Registered
608 Posts
BMC,

I can't tell you specifically where to buy a complete harness new as I have neither had to replace one nor owned a Dodge truck newer than '78.

But perhaps this resource might help should you find that you must repair what you have or (Lord help you) fab-up a new one from scratch:

www.waytekwire.com

Some important facts of which to be aware:

Most Chrysler electrical systems were under-engineered from the factory. Try to upgrade to larger-gauge wires wherever possible, and don't trust circuits with only a fusible link for protection (such as the ammeter circuit). Instead, upgrade to a 50 A circuit breaker (available from Waytek), at least for the ammeter circuit, or switch to a volt meter.

Also, don't turst the inadequate slide connections for the hot wire or the accessory wire circuits where they join at the bulkhead connector if your truck is so designed. It is better to wire them straight-through the bulkhead block. Not only do such connections tend to fail when carrying a high load, but in so doing they melt through the insulation and short to other circuits. I need not tell you what sort of "excitement" can ensue when that happens . . .

Chrysler used Packard-type (GM) connectors almost everywhere. Whether they still used Series 56 terminals (such as my truck does) or whther they had changed to Weather-pack or Metri-pack style terminals by '87 I cannot say. Both NAPA and Waytek carry all of these terminals (I believe), and Waytek has a good selection of the appropriate insulators to go with them, too.

Hope all of this was not "old info" for you.

Jeff

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
To add to the excellent advice already given ... Every once in a while you MAY see a NOS under-dash wiring harness on ebay. They are really getting very few and far between though. And whoever is selling, they usually KNOW what they got, and demand a premium price for it. To make matters worse, those of us who plan on keeping our old rigs alive and have such things laying around.. well, fat chance of us ever selling what we got.

I would suggest, if you can find one (Even a crappy one) at the boneyard, to grab it, as you can use it as a template to build yourself a new one, if your skills allow. I believe you can still buy whatever kind of connectors used in various connections and if needed, use certain moulded plastic plugs you'll need from the old harness.

In fact, as fins suggests (And I agree) if you feel comfortable brewing your own, using larger gauge wire and better terminals than factory and solder all the terminal ends ... You'll end up with a harness that will probably out-live the truck itself. It's a long and time consuming project, so be forewarned.. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice guy's. I had seen Waytek on another post for someone looking to upgrade some audio equipment and they have a terrific selection and at what I think are pretty reasonable prices for the quality. I had planned on building my own harness for under the hood and all the lighting since the precvious owner completed an engine swap using a sledge hammer and chainsaw, nothing is as it should be. Someone had performed some surgery on the stereo and a lot of butt connectors on the steering column. After reading thru these comments I will probably do as suggected and treat the old harnes as a road map and build my own. I'm odd, I actually enjoy wiring and body work too, although this rig will not ever see new paint. AS to wire size, I DEFINETLY agree, I couldn't believe home much 18ga is used, scarey. I will probably eliminate all of the fusable links, I was thinking 50a maxi-fuses instead of circuit breakers (share any thoughts). Also, I haven't had any problems with mine, but I 've read enough that the ammeter is bad news, I believe I actually have a volt meter in my dash (trucks inTN, I'm in FLA) Whenever this project gets off the ground, and more importantly when it gets completed I'll throw some pics up too if anyone is interested. Thanks to everyone again, and please let me know if anyone has tried anything simple under the hood on their own...Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.