DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was able to successfully install 2 sets of driving lights linked into my high beams through the help of the members of this site (thanks again).

Now, I want to add a set of lights under my rear bumper (see Fog Lights Under Rear Bumper? thread - http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1413152#post1413152 ) but I don't want to link to reverse lights, instead I want them to be switch controlled, so I can use them when wanted. I have a set of Hella / Optilux 1402 lights I plan to use which comes with a relay and fused wires and a separate three wire on/off switch.

My question - how do I complete the power loop if I don't tie into an existing power (reverse light) wire? Do I connect the (green, fused) wire that would run from the high or low beam wire to the on/off switch in the typical driving or fog light installation, directly to the battery positive side, just like the red (fused) wire that runs from the battery to the relay?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wired my rear auxiliary rear lights to work when the parking lights are on. This way they will function through the dash switch I installed anytime the exterior lights are in operation.

I was wiring my front fog light kit at the same time so I was able to just splice both wires for the front and rear aux lamps at the same time. I pulled out the left front headlamp and wired to the wiring harness there. This is the same method as the install of the factory front fog kit.

I did wire to the park lamp circuit rather than the low beam circuit so that the lamps could be switched on with any of the lamps on. The wire for the park lamp at the left headlight should be pink with violet. Your splice from this should run back to your dash switch. From the switch there will need to be a circuit continuation wire to the relay.

If you want the lamps to work anytime (with or with out ignition or lamps on) just wire the switch circuit to the battery instead of the front park lamp.

I do not know about the colors of the wires of your kit. If your kit has a connector with the four wires already attached you can follow the numbers on the relay to determine what each one is for. If the wires plug to the relay individually you will need to spend a little time and trace each circuit. I would think that the red would be for the battery connection. Your green wire is in question. It could be the wire that goes from the relay to the lamps or it could be the incoming power supply wire for the switch? There should be a wiring diagram and/or instructions that came with the kit.

Notes –

You will need to decide on the power circuit of your choice to run to the switch.

A three terminal switch should have an indicator lamp in it will need a ground circuit to one of the terminals for the indicator to function.

Most fog lamp relays will wire as follows:

terminal #30 – 12 volt battery connection
terminal #85 – to ground
terminal #86 – from switch
terminal #87 – to lamps

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I was using the included wiring guide when describing wire colors and functions. The wiring plugs individually onto the relay posts, instead of gathered together into a gang plug and then onto the relay, like the others I have installed and linked to my highbeams.
The red, fused (15 Amp) wire is relay to battery. The green, fused (2 Amp) wire described, is the wire that was intended to run from switch to headlight wire.

So, if I understand correctly, the green wire should go to an "always on" wire (like the 12 volt recepticle)? Could it not just go to the positive side of the battery like the red wire from relay to battery? I do want to be able to use the lights as work lights at any time, plus manually controlled extra reverse lighting, so I am trying to be sure that I have set things up correctly.

Okay, now thinking about that, would it be possible to hook the lights up in a way that allowed both linking to the reverse lights (like my aftermarket driving lights) and also manual on/off without the truck in reverse?

Thanks in advance for all help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.