DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 98-03 wiper arms will fit a 94? I want to go with the improved design, but I need to know if the newer style arms will fit the 94 pivots. :help:

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Nate -

I'm not sure, but I'd be happy to take any measurements from my '98 that you'd like. Let me know. :)

Pete

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete....I guess if you could measure the diameter of the mounting surface where the arm goes down onto the pivot that would be great.

Let me give you a little bit of history. My '94 wiper arms tend to lift a little at highway speeds giving me a crappy wipe pattern. The arms are in good shape and the springs still has good tension. I have to use ANCO blades to minimize the problem. My '85 van has the same issue. The '98-'03 arms look like a better design.

Do you have any problems like this on your '98?

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Nate -

My wipers work great. No problems. I took one off to measure. The post that it attaches to is about 5/8" in dia. It has splines and looks to be a constant diameter, in other words NOT tapered. The depth of the splined area in the wiper arm is about 1/2" deep. It uses a sliding clip, with a spring, to hold it on - no nuts or bolts. Also, the washer nozzels are attached to the middle of the arm, so there is a washer hose which is part of the arm. Easy enough to remove if your nozzels are on the hood. I don't currently have a camera, but I did scan the wiper page from my manual. Hope it posts O.K.

Pete

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like they would work since my arms attach the same way. My washer nozzles are part of the arm too, so I can hook my washers up the same. I'll just have to measure my pivot diameter. The only physical difference between the newer arms and the older arms is of couse the dog-leg bend and it looks like the newer arms use the "shepherd's hook" type attachment for the blades. My arms use the pin-type attachment. I'll just have to get blades for a 98.

·
Registered
158 Posts
are the sweep of the blades the same? i thought the new vans had a different windshield and thus a different sized blade? aren't the newer blades 19" where as the older are 18"? i could be wrong tho. :)

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are 16". The windshield glass is the same from 94-03 so I guess the sweep can't be too much different. According to Advance, the blade size on the newer vans is 18", but the arms are shaped differently.

·
Registered
158 Posts
according to Autozone, '95-'98 run 18" blades, while '99+ run 19". apparently '94 is the only yr for 16" blades. those small blades would drive me nuts.

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Well, I haven't re-installed the arm yet, so since it's still sitting on the kitchen table, I measured it - 18".

Pete

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just bought winter blades for mine and they are 18".
They can't be that bad on mine, because I left last seasons on all winter.
I don't know about the earlier 90's models, but on mine, the wipers pull out and away to clean the windshield off.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
QQB825 said:
according to Autozone, '95-'98 run 18" blades, while '99+ run 19". apparently '94 is the only yr for 16" blades. those small blades would drive me nuts.
Even though the 99+ blades are 19", I run with 18" for the very same reason Dodgevanman started in this posting. The blades lift and do not clean well at highway speeds. Usually, the 19" blades just smear rather than clean above 45mph. And, the top tips wack the passenger side A-pilar being 19". So rather than two odd ball sizes of 18 and 19, I just went 18 for both of them.

The twin blade or (double wipers) work the best. However, you would need to replace 4 blades vs. 2 blades when needed. I swear by the the 4 blade system since one blade of the set remains up on edge while sweeping one direction and then switches to the other blade up on edge for the other direction. Thus, the best cleaning overall. PLUS, this twin blade setup stays snug to the windshield at any speed. These blades have multi colors to choose from for the frames. I usually get the black ones.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QQB825 said:

Actually Dodge van ran a 16" blades from '64 up to '94. I'm going to get a set of newer model arm and try out the 18" blades.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SUCCESS! I got a set of late '97 arms (same as '98-'03) from the local pick-n-pull and they fit my '94. I bought a set of brand new 18" blades and boy what a world of difference! They wipe much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.