DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mopar or No Car!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again with the milage thing...I was getting 9-10mpg ( 99% city driving) with my 98 ram 4x4 qc 5.2, 70k with a flowmaster one in two out k&n "drop-in" with stock air cleaner housing. I have not done a tune up and last fall I maxed out my tire air pressure. thats it, and now with "Summer Gas" supposedly in the pumps I 'm getting 13-15 mpg!!!!!!!!!! I'm not complaining but is there really that big of a difference???? And if so f*** the "winter gas" give me the "summer gas" ALL YEAR LONG!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
i don't know but i have noticed my truck has been getting a little better gas mileage since summer is here. i had been lucky to get 12mpg and "knock on wood" i have been getting 14mpg lately. who knows.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You have longer warmups in the winter. That is primarily where the fuel mileage goes.
The engine stays in open loop longer which causes it to run richer.

There is ethonol in the fuel all year long, so I am not blaming it on that.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I know in diesel they add an anti-gelling additive and that costs us some fuel mileage in the winter

·
Registered
803 Posts
just checked my mileage today when I fileld up and during the winter I was getting 9-10 and now I just got 13.5 wow what a jump it does make for me too. I didn't really have logn warmups in my truck I still hopepd in and went in the winter. I work outside so why should I bother to warm my truck up so I can get cold again?

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I say warmups, I mean the engine warming up to around 130 F or better whether you are driving down the road or sitting still.
Less than that temp will put the engine controls in open loop which is a preset computer program that is a safe mode until the O2 sensors heat up and it goes to closed loop.
The engine also goes into open loop when you have it floored.

Comparing it to a carburator...It is like having the choke stay shut longer because it is colder out.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
There is a difference in summer gas and winter gas. Winter gas is designed to start easier when it's cold. I can't remember what the difference is. The only reason I know that is because you are not suspose to run summer gas in a snowmobile.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i agree with gsmagnum. the engine senses the low temp and in return delvers more fuel to warm up faster. i get 7 in the winter, 5 if theres heavy snow, and 11 in the summer.

·
racer21
376 Posts
Is there a way to tell when the truck goes in to closed loop

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another reason why you get lower mileage in the winter is because they add 10% ethanol for "winter gas" and in the summer they don't add it. Unless you live in hippy state Oregon where they just put into law that the 10% ethanol fuel has to be sold year round.

Ethanol lowers your fuel economy, but is supposed to be better for emissions. It is a corrosive though, that over time will eat your fuel system, especially in older vehicles.

·
Registered
487 Posts
racer21 said:
Is there a way to tell when the truck goes in to closed loop

i know you can with a scan tool. but my guess is you dont have one. other then that i aint got a clue

·
Registered
631 Posts
I also heard for winter gas, depending on where you live, they add in addiitives to help prevent fuel line freezing. Had that happen once, and it wasn't fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.