DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from pic's on the site several members have the window deflectors for their side driver and passenger windows. I've never had these on any vehicle previously. Can someone tell me how they install? I know it's double-sided tape but do they go around the window itself or does some part of it get tucked into either the weather stripping or window frame itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently purchased my first set these for my 04 D and they were very easy to install. My suggestion is to buy the "in channel" design (I don't know if they even sell the one's that get taped to the outside of the doors). The in channel ones still use the 3M double sided tape but they get mounted in the channel where the glass sits when all the way closed. First thing you do is test fit each piece to make sure they will fit correctly. Then, using what looks like a scouring pad (should come in the package) scuff the inside of the channel where the tape will come in contact with the window weatherstripping. Then wipe it down with the alcohol swab (also should come in the package) to clean it. This will ensure a good bond with the 3M tape and the weatherstripping. The instructions suggest just peeling one end of the tape to have it started while installing them but by the time I was installing the 3rd and 4th one I just peeled it all the way off, insuring not to let the tape touch until it was in the right position. Then press on the tape from end to end inside the channel. Once installed you roll up your window all the way and leave them up for 24 hrs. I pressed on the outside of the weatherstripping once the widows were up just to be sure they were seated good. They are very easy to install and are great at keeping the rain out and letting fresh air in. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
patriot D, did you buy yours from Dodge/Mopar, or where these aftermarket from another company. I want to get these too, but I like the ones that have a very low profile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased mine from Exotic Truck and Auto Gear, a company based in Florida which sells on Ebay. They are not mopar but just as good with out the high price. These are made by Vent Visor, you can purchase these from your local autoparts store or online. Online is usually cheaper but then you have to wait for them to arrive. You can check them out on Ebay, here is the item number for the exact ones I purchased, 4562974333 , just go to Ebay and paste it in the search bar. This ends in 2 days but they usually keep posting them one after the other. Not bad for under $50 shipped to your door. I also purchased the Lund bug shield from these guys for about the same price and very happy with it also. I'm thinking about getting one of the K&N intakes from them next but still checking around because there's so many different types out there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
can you tak a pic of these?

thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the in channel ones that I bought from Weather Tech. www.weathertech.com

They are easy to install and look great. I won't use the 3M tape ones because I've had bad luck with them in the past. I have had weather tech vent visors on my last 4 vehicles with no problems. :rck:

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
HemiEd, if its not using 3m tape, how does the in-channel one stay in? Does it snap into place?

·
johnny c's HEMI
740 Posts
I'm with HemiEd on this one from Weather Tech.
These are sweet and fit without any tape at all. I had them on my Grand Cherokee for years and no problems. They have been on my 04 D for 1 1/2 years now and are great.
They fit simply by bowing and inserting into upper window channel, really trick.

Weather Tech is a great resource for these, this site should take you right to the Durango: http://www.weathertech.com/store/ve...4&year_no=2004&veh_id=181&veh_opt_choice_id=0

They also have these LampGards that are still like new on the D: http://www.weathertech.com/store/ve...eh_id=181&veh_opt_choice_id=0&item_group_id=2

Both fit 04 and 05 D's
And no, I get no commission from WeatherTech, just great products........
Good luck,

·
Registered
410 Posts
Finucane hit it. They actually fit into the window channel which means they don't stick out as far as the stick-on ones and they won't fall off in 6 months. :cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
They Suck

I have had the in channel ones. They are still in a dusty corner of my garage doing nothing. I should just toss 'em though.

They make an already thick A piller dangerous. At night, there is a SERIOUS blind spot there. Plus, they added a wind noise. I noticed the wind right away, but then forgot about it. When I removed them due to the vision problem, I once again realized how much of a wind whistle they made.

Anyway, their whole purpose in life ( I think) is to drive around with the window cracked in the rain. Since I don't smoke, I never really did it. I am a form follows function type, so they came off.

They suck.

·
johnny c's HEMI
740 Posts
bbodyguy said:
I have had the in channel ones. They are still in a dusty corner of my garage doing nothing. I should just toss 'em though.

They make an already thick A piller dangerous. At night, there is a SERIOUS blind spot there. Plus, they added a wind noise. I noticed the wind right away, but then forgot about it. When I removed them due to the vision problem, I once again realized how much of a wind whistle they made.

Anyway, their whole purpose in life ( I think) is to drive around with the window cracked in the rain. Since I don't smoke, I never really did it. I am a form follows function type, so they came off.

They suck.
To bad for the dust collectors bbodyguy.
I don't notice the wind noise and blind spot (?), not sure there is any, if there where it would be 2 1/2 inches of very light tint at top of glass. This would be the same as the 3M stick-on's and was just a suggestion for Moparblue for an option besides using the 3M stick-on type.....
Never heard of somebody not liking these, be they stick-on or channel type.
I don't smoke either but find it nice to be able to crack the windows while raining or parking the D in 110 degree heat to vent, which is all summer around here.
Nice product!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely wouldn't want the tape and wind noise would be a concern so what do the rest of you say? Increase in wind noise or not? Certainly the 2005 D is a whole lot quieter than my 2003

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just my opinion. I ripped them out/off the truck. They are not for everyone, certainly not me. :^)

They *DID* add some wind noise. They definitly make it hard to see traffic if you have the road bending to the left...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There is certainly more wind noise with the vent visors. And I agree with bbodyguy.....The blind spot on the pillar is made even worse with these things. If you're taking a gradual left curve in a road, then it's really hard to see what's ahead, be it a semi or a kid on a bike.

I considered taking them off, but the benefits of not having the sun in my eyes all the time and having the window cracked on a hot day outweighs the negative aspects. For now anyway.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe I've just got used to them but I have no problem with any blind spots. If I'm unsure about what I can't see around the A pillar then I move my head to get a clear view. I like them and would recommend them to others out there! But then my opinion is probably just like the picture below.

Attachments

·
johnny c's HEMI
740 Posts
I'm with ya on this one HemiEd...........
That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

·
Investigator
992 Posts
bbodyguy said:

They suck.
if you're going to toss them, how about I send you the money to ship them to me instead? :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just got my in channel Vent Visors froom Weathertech.com, great purchase. $50 shipped to my door. For you guys who have them, one thing I noticed was the driver and passanger side window visors do not have tape on the section by the mirrors. I also noticed if the visor is just a little out of alignment, the window will hit them on the way up, has anyone else had that problem and is there a fix?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm bumping this up again to see if anyone has a fix...my window hits the visor when it goes up at the corner where the mirrors are. What is the best way to fix this? Is there a two sided tape that can help keep the visor in place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If they are like the ones I purchased the front of them next to the mirrors should be like a "tab" that goes between the mirror mount and the window weatherstripping, not in the window channel like the rest of the deflector. If needed I can take a pic of mine and post it later this evening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.