DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with a plan of action for my driver side power window. The window goes up fine and stays on track but has a hard time going down. By itself it will start to go down but will go "clunk-clunk", go down a couple more inches and get clunky again. I can apply some pressure on the window and "help" it down but I can also manually lift it up and it also rocks back and forth by about a quarter or half inch which I dont think its supposed to do.

The motor is working so can I assume its the windows regulator that needs replacing? Do need the whole regulator or just the gear?
http://www.car-stuff.com/1984dodgeb250windowgear.htm

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
you should be able to replace just the regulator, sounds like the motor & gear are ok. but just to be sure, inspect the motor gear when you disassemble it from the old regulator

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
regulator and motor are off. Gears on outside of motor look ok - at least all the teeth are there. Two things jump out at me. One is that there is a lot of give where the wheel at the end of regulator arm attaches to the bottom of the window. Seems like too much. Second is that there is a slight bend in the arm (See photo attachment). Wondering if that is by design? Its real strong metal so I can't image that it got bent during normal use.

So I'm wondering if the give in the arm is throwing it off track? My regular parts guy says he can get the motor and the gear but I'm on my own for the regulator.

Searching more... I guess its called the window roller or window track guide...

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
arm will bend, have seen it many times. this will cause the glass to jump track. shouldnt have any issues, finding replacement, whether new or used. judging by the above photo, regulator is bent & needs replacement, imho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the window motor and now it rolls up and down, so the main problem must have been a gear internal to the motor. Had a heck of a time getting the spring back on the regulator.

There might be something bent or slightly out of whack because I can still move the window that quarter of an inch left to right. Could be a bent regulator like you say or the beat up roller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.