DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been looking into putting a winch on the front of my Ram. I offroad alot and have been stranded before, now ideally id like the power wagon setup behind the bumper but, doubt that will work.
my truck is a 2002 1500 QC sport.

Does anybody else have a winch mount ??
Give me some ideas

·
Registered
373 Posts
:metoo:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well lucky for the 1500's there is a hidden hitch for the front. All you have to get is a removable winch carrier that most of the winch companies carry. then all you have to get is some disconnect cables. The good thing is you can run a connect to the back also and you can use the winch in the front and back. Its not always easier to go forward. I wish they made one of the hidden hitchs for the 2500's. I would have had one long ago. The only downside is the winch isn't quite as slim line as the powerwagon setup, but its more functional. I am thinking of getting the 1500 setup and fabbing it to fit my rig. Let us know which route you go.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
now you see it

now you dont

·
Charlie
666 Posts
I wish I had money, I have wanted a winch for a while now. Ever since I got stranded I have yet to go off roading for the fear of getting stuck again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice! im going to do what that silver ram has done. So if i take off the plastic there theres a mount? who woulda thought. Any way of locking is so it doesnt get stolen

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
nice! im going to do what that silver ram has done. So if i take off the plastic there theres a mount? who woulda thought. Any way of locking is so it doesnt get stolen
Yeah...take that plastic off and there is a winch mount under there. You didn't know that?
I found mine when i was changing my oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now i feel like a tard lol

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah...take that plastic off and there is a winch mount under there. You didn't know that?
I found mine when i was changing my oil.
yeah i found mine putting new outer universal joints in the knuckle ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
hidden hitch on the front is deff the way to go!!! I am thinking of doing the same, but more for the recovery point! It's almost as much for the hitch as for the tow hook setup!
That probably won't work with a body lift will it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What size winch is everyone running? 12,000lbs?

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
That probably won't work with a body lift will it?
To get the hitch to exit in the bumper gap rather than underneath the bumper it will have to be modified anyway. So at that point you can pretty much make it work with whatever since you have the chop saw or plasma cutter and welder out anyway, lol.
With a body lift, it would have to be mounted 3" higher in the frame rails to hit the gap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So they normally come out under the bumper?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, there are a few companies that make them and from my experience and reading other coments in the past, they all come out under the bumper.
Thanks for the info. BTW, saw your truck in Peterson's and it looks great! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i can build you one like mine for a truck with or without a body lift and include all grade 8 installation hardware if youre interested, pm me

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.