1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PW on the Fly
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I dunno, but interesting, I took out my front LP bracket on a large ice mountain a few weeks ago. lol

·
PW on the Fly
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I park my truck on the street. I have to place the entire bracket on the retrieval hook with double sided tape otherwise I get dinged $30 by Denvers finest for no front plate. That thing gets ripped off with regularity. I don't even put it on when I drive anymore.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Me too. WTF, there has to be a better way to mount the front plate so it don't get ripped off all the time.

·
PWOC #078
186 Posts
My 81 Jeep CJ-5 had the plate mounted on a spring loaded plate which covered the gas cap. am sure something similiar could be fabricated to cover the winch.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
It dose'nt look good but I took off the plastic factory mount and used the holes to bolt the plate directly to the bumper.
I went through the factory plus two flat bracket type plate holders before I gave up and just put my dive plate right on the bumper too. We don't have to have front license plates here in NM, so I can be happy about that I guess.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
there are square plastic tabs that go into the holes for the plate to screw into, you could get a pack of them and put the bottom holes of the plate in. It will obviously cover the winch but it will be out of harms way, for the most part. and when it gets in the way you just pull it off. It won't want to come off, at first :) but you put em in and out a few times they'll loosen up if you want them to. One of my friends had an old pathfind from back in the day when that was how the OEM attached their plates and it would practically fall off if you blew on it hard enough but it never fell off driving, not under normal circumstances :D

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Lovely NYS strikes again. Was told the brackets are there to keep the plate at 90 deg angle from the ground so the police can easily read your plate and also the new electronic plate readers that can read up to 1500 plates an hour. If i bolt it directly to the bumper with no plastic brackets it wont be 90 deg and wont pass inspection. I will have to come up with a HD steel alternative.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Lovely NYS strikes again. Was told the brackets are there to keep the plate at 90 deg angle from the ground so the police can easily read your plate and also the new electronic plate readers that can read up to 1500 plates an hour. If i bolt it directly to the bumper with no plastic brackets it wont be 90 deg and wont pass inspection. I will have to come up with a HD steel alternative.

I had often thought about that exact thing, for that same purpose. with the opposite intention though :D I guess I'm not surprised they made it a law, but I would think at least that that's an easy one to get away with

·
NoMoreMoney
294 Posts

·
NoMoreMoney
294 Posts

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
nice, those could definitely work if their the right size for the rollers. you'll just need to make a some sort of mounting plate or block for the plate to mount onto the fills the space between the rollers and bumper.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
that's true, but if the ones yhike put up are the right size you could probably clip them up onto a horizontal roller and make a "L" bracket to hold the plate. If your overly concerned with keeping it parallel you can just some onto the bottom roller as well

·
Ecclesiastes 12:11-14
655 Posts
that's true, but if the ones yhike put up are the right size you could probably clip them up onto a horizontal roller and make a "L" bracket to hold the plate. If your overly concerned with keeping it parallel you can just some onto the bottom roller as well
Ya, that could be a work-around for it. There might be enough clearance at the midpoint of the bumper to put a clip or two on the lower roller. I think the best design for a PW would be a clip that could snap into the space in between the top and bottom rollers instead of clipping on an individual roller. That being said, you would still need almost 3" of spacer to clear the bumper because the rollers are so recessed.

·
Gonna Make It. . .
858 Posts
Why don't you guys just use the factory plastic front plate holder. It comes with every truck as a no charge option, so if you ask your dealer for one, they probably have a bunch laying around.

·
Ecclesiastes 12:11-14
655 Posts
Why don't you guys just use the factory plastic front plate holder. It comes with every truck as a no charge option, so if you ask your dealer for one, they probably have a bunch laying around.
Guys that run their trucks off-road pretty hard rip them off regularly from impacting dirt mounds, brush, and rocks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
you don't have to run off road pretty hard just to rip it off. I just kicked mine. off it came

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
they even come off plowing through snow. I think the D size maglight holders have a future for me. They look the perfect size to fit around a lightbar or brush gaurd. Also-bonus points because- Honey, I need the brush bar/lightbar so I won't lose the licenceplate-you do know thats a ticket, right hon. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts