DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be useful to have a listing of proper maintenance for the winch and cable so all of us have an easy reference location.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but there really isn't anything we need to do to the winch right, aside from a visual inspection to ensure the wires are in good condition etc?

Now we move onto the actual reason I started this thread, What about the cable, we all know the obvious stuff about not kinking the cable, making sure there are no broken strands or twisted sections :blah::blah::blah: The cable needs to be kept clean and oiled right. How often do you need to oil the cable, what should we clean it with and what sort of oil should we use? I didn't see anything on warns sight so here we are :D

Anybody have any other maintenance tips/ suggestions

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff, So should we be checking bearings and such then? I guess that would be based on how much time your winch spends underwater/ severe usage etc?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Warn says a a thin coat of light oil is the only thing you can do for the cable. If you live in a dry dusty climate I would skip the oil because if will only collect dust most of the time. I could spray it down with some dry lube but the cable looks good and rust free after 2 years so it's low on the list of things to do.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i live in a cold, wet, salty, rust prone area :D I noticed salt deposits on my cable the other day which is what reminded me about the oiling. So any light oil will do, like what, air tool oil? what should I clean it with, there is oil or something inside the cable right so I don't want to wash any of that out just get the crap off the surface.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would clean it with a simple-green and water let it dry then a light coat of some 3-in-1 oil or something similar.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds good to me. i figured there would be specific "Winch cable oil" warn was trying to sell for $26 a quart or some nonsense ;D I was a little surprised

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would spray out the remote input with some WD40 every now and then, a few guys have had them corrode-up and not work from water getting in there.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I thought it would be useful to have a listing of proper maintenance for the winch and cable so all of us have an easy reference location.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but there really isn't anything we need to do to the winch right, aside from a visual inspection to ensure the wires are in good condition etc?

Now we move onto the actual reason I started this thread, What about the cable, we all know the obvious stuff about not kinking the cable, making sure there are no broken strands or twisted sections :blah::blah::blah: The cable needs to be kept clean and oiled right. How often do you need to oil the cable, what should we clean it with and what sort of oil should we use? I didn't see anything on warns sight so here we are :D

Anybody have any other maintenance tips/ suggestions
Great Idea Crash-I've been spraying my cable heavily with WD40 ? -Also I use Dielectric grease on any outside wire connection I fiddle with on the whole truck. And I would like to switch to synthetic cable with my stimulas $ to keep the economy going. Can I fit 125 feet of 7/16 on my drum???

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't see why not. I did. The synth rope spools better than cable
Neotech are you telling me that 125' of syn. cab. WILL fit ? cuz it's expensive and I want to make sure it will fit on the drum.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I want synthetic to, but the cost will prevent me from doing it for awhile. and obviously all our trucks came with steel so I figured it would be good to have a reference point for that.

as far as WD-40 goes, seems like a good idea but wouldn't that just wash off in the rain? I am surprised, and a little disappointed they don't make an oil or something specifically for the winch cable that would be weather resistant ect.

Definitely a good call spraying something into the connector for the controller, those corroding seems to be a fairly common issue especially considering, at least on this coast it's underwater half the time you need it :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You can put half a mile of parachute cord on the drum too. Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Neotech are you telling me that 125' of syn. cab. WILL fit ? cuz it's expensive and I want to make sure it will fit on the drum.
Not the best angle to show you but I think I could have squeezed 150'. It would have been tight. I'd say 150' of 3/8 would work if you wanted to go that far. I have the 7/16. This pic is before I pre streched it. You could easily have ran another complete wrap. There is about 18-20 wraps per layer. Almost a foot per wrap. With It streched You would be able to have 2 more layers. 125 will fit but it's alot to spool. Much easier to do the 100' and carry a 30' strap. After de spooling and rewinding a few times you'll be tired of doing 100' let alone 125 or 150. But look at the picture above and decide for yourself. Realisticly you want to have at least 4 or 5 wraps on and the first 5 feet don't count out the winch so 125' is more like 115 streched out from the drum. So...Yes it will fit. Also I will be weighing the original cable in the next few days and will post the results. The shipping weight of the Synth was 6lbs including packing and the box. The cable feels well over 25lbs. When you're pulling 50+ feet away it's nice to be able to pull and not have to lift the cable at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I (right hand up) swear that I'm the most ignorant person as to what to do with a winch and winch cable, I had never own a winch before October 2005 when I bought my truck, I had only seen a winch in use a couple times before and I have only used my winch in a real necessity once (how necessary it was? is debatable, the PW can get out of just about anything except the gas station).

So this is what I do.

I unroll the cable about before every winter all the way to the bolt and let it sun dry, (meanwhile I clean the winch casing and related and make sure all is in working order) then using gloves so I don't get stabbed I clean and check the whole length while dreaming of buying a sync rope, I make sure is not damaged or over corroded, I always say to myself, "I should paint the cable, one color for the first five turns as Ive seen in this forum and then another color for the rest of the length and then the last 2' another color and maybe some paint with texture so when is dark I can fell it coming to the end and don't get my hand caught in the rollers, I bet that hurts." Then I dampen a rag with oil, and pass it over the whole length of cable making sure to reapply oil as necessary, once is the cable is ready, I take my can of water-displacement 40st attempt formula and go medieval with it against the winch casing and anything in close proximity, I figure a can of WD40 is quite inexpensive compared to the price of the winch. The last part is to lure my neighbor with a beer to help me roll the cable back in as tight as I can, usually pulling my other car in N but with some parking brake applied so it is very heavy but it wont drag the wheels (you know the winch can).
Once is all nice and tucked in, I decide which side of the bumper to tied it on to for the next time I need it.

yeah, I know I need help. :help:
Thanks
Ocean

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
:D We know you do. Good system though. It's a great way to keep things clean and working. That's one of the most important things about any tool. Keep It clean and it will last

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's pretty much what I was thinking, and I had never even seen a winch in action until i got mine :p so I win :D anyway you don't clean yours first, we probably should shouldn't we?

·
Registered
110 Posts
syn.winch rope

Can you use the snatch block with the syn. rope? Or will it get caught between the pulley and block housing?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Can you use the snatch block with the syn. rope? Or will it get caught between the pulley and block housing?
Depends on the condition of the snatch block. If it's been used for steel cable the roller may have some gashes or wear points that could fray the synth. Otherwise it's no problem. I have a 30k Snatch that I bought for only use with the synth. Nothing else. I have had no problems

1 - 20 of 78 Posts