DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Registered
2,632 Posts
i think gas trucks are great but in the long run the diesel is more efficient and easier on the pocket. it has a higher resale value and you can mod it easily and still keep that reliability (as long as you not going crazy with the hard launches and burnouts). Honestly, a $6,000 turbo set up in a hemi, how reliable is it with high boost? how long will that motor last? the diesel motors take a beating and come back for more. the gas will break down much faster and cost you more in repair bills while that diesel will only need regular maintinece, for the most part. the transmission on the other hand, is a totalt different story.

im not partial to diesel or gas, i like them both. theres nothing like the sound of my v8 when i start it up in the morning, but in the long run, i think the diesel wins.

· "I'll go all in."
632 Posts
allhemi said:
I dont understand why you dont have one if there so great........Beleave anything you like but if you spend the same amount of money on a hemi as a diesel you would not like the outcome.

I think you'd be the one who'd not be happy with the out come... which is obvious that its going to be a hard one for you to swallow. I can tell by your username, signature, and most of all your comments that your probablly one of those individuals who thinks the Hemi is God's gift to trucks. Why do you think diesel trucks have become so popular in recent years? They are more capable, over-all more powerful, cheap/easy to get huge increases in performance, and even with up'd hp/tq levels wil last much much longer. Take a look at the huge differences in hp/tq gains from programmers... gas vs. diesel... and they cost about the same. I've heard of plenty of 1,000+ hp(with a cool 3,200 ft lbs) CTDs... but have yet to hear of those types of numbers out of the new hemi... especially on a regular basis. Not saying it can't be done... but I haven't heard of anybody putting down numbers anywhere close to that.

If you want to talk about getting big numbers and big perfromance out of a gas V8... I'd go 100% without blinking an eye for a GM 6.0, 5.7, or even a 5.3. You'd have a fit if you spent the same amount of money on any one of those engines and a Hemi.

· Registered
3,907 Posts
allhemi said:
I dont understand why you dont have one if there so great........Beleave anything you like but if you spend the same amount of money on a hemi as a diesel you would not like the outcome.
Because I bought this truck brand new when I was 22 . . . young and dumb! I invite you to go to your local track and race a diesel. Then you will know what I am talking about. But in case you can't make it down there, here are a few videos for you:

Modded Cummins vs Chevy Half Ton
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/0/41e7222d-ceea-47fe-9819-984d00d46a31.htm

F350 4x4 on 37's (Let's see a gasser run this time with 37" tires!)
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/5/691631ee-9330-41f1-847a-b5ad48f46475.htm

10 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lelnxbibrEY

11 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ykEvqiw-_8

Last but certainly NOT least - a Cummins smoking a Viper. Show me a Hemi, GM or Ford gasser doing that -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI

I challenge YOU to show me a 10 second Hemi. There isn't one. There is a guy on this board who bored out his 5.7 to a 6.4 or something like that. To my knowledge, he is one of the fastest Hemi trucks out there and he is running 11's.

Compare that to a diesel where you need:

1) A programmer (Bully Dog producing the most HP) $600
2) Upgraded intercooler $1,000
3) Upgraded turbo $2-$3K
4) High horsepower injectors (adding up to 200 horsepower) $1,200
5) Intake - $300
6) Exhaust - $500
7) Methanol, propane or nitrous injection - $2K

Total: $7,600. With these mods, the thing will be putting down more than 700 rwhp and over 1,200 ft/lbs of torque. I'd definitely run a forged tranny with this setup, which would probably put this build around 11-12K. There is no way you could spend 11-12K on a gas truck and put down this power, run the same times, and still have a reliable daily driver to tow your goodies. Hell, you'd spend 4-6 thousand on a supercharger or turbo alone - which wouldn't allow you to beat a diesel with the mods I mentioned. You'd probably have to drop in a completely forged transmission to hold the power (the 545RE couldn't handle it), which I would guess is another 4-5 thousand. Add on that cam, forged engine internals, head work, SMT-6, gears, etc., and you are well over $12,000.

· Registered
848 Posts
There is a very specific reason this truck was modded this way. ;)

Garmon Diesel

· Banned
747 Posts
First step is to get rid of that power robbin clutch fan! What are the stated mpg's on the new hemis?

· Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,299 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
But in case you can't make it down there, here are a few videos for you:

Modded Cummins vs Chevy Half Ton
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/0/41e7222d-ceea-47fe-9819-984d00d46a31.htm

F350 4x4 on 37's (Let's see a gasser run this time with 37" tires!)
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/5/691631ee-9330-41f1-847a-b5ad48f46475.htm

10 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lelnxbibrEY

11 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ykEvqiw-_8

Last but certainly NOT least - a Cummins smoking a Viper. Show me a Hemi, GM or Ford gasser doing that -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI

Those vids are sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
The key word here is average...
If they really wanted to get crafty, they would make the old d-50 again..{remember the d-50 ram 4cyl. actually made by mitsubishi for dodge? {I had one back in the day...}
They could do that again, have a small truck that gets 35mpg, that takes the blunt hit off the CAFE...
As long as the average is above the min., they will be fine..
Plus I bet the feds will be quite lenient if they {manufacturers} start getting more E85 friendly..
Besides, I believe as the law sits now, many vehicles are already in violation...
Plus they {manufacturers} can "borrow" on future emmisions..
It gets quite complicated..
L.

· []D [] []v[] []D
803 Posts
hmmm....this is an old thread, lol. But you do realize that e85 is not the answer, right? e85 is not as efficient as gas, requiring more fuel. It is also quite pullutant to manufacture. However, the biggest reason is because we are base-ing our ideas on Brazil's triumph with it. Our problem is that we use corn and not Sugar Cane, so it isn't as efficient. Its a nice idea though, but it is just polluting in a different way.

The best thing about e85 is that helps us move away from foreign dependance on oil so much. But it has to be like 40+ cents cheaper to offset the cost after fuel mileage loss.

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
I agree totally.
I am merly stating that polititians will be more lenient lawmakers, if manufacturers are ethanol friendly.. Not that ethanol is any better.
{although I did make more power in my old falcon using a alchohol carb and gasahol back in the late 70s early 80s...}
And the thread is old, but I felt it was still relative to right now.. :)
L.

· Registered
4,328 Posts
highdollar said:
I agree totally.
I am merly stating that polititians will be more lenient lawmakers, if manufacturers are ethanol friendly.. Not that ethanol is any better.
{although I did make more power in my old falcon using a alchohol carb and gasahol back in the late 70s early 80s...}
And the thread is old, but I felt it was still relative to right now.. :)
L.
I got news

The marxists leaders in the environmental movement will never be happy

They are control freaks without a life and can't stand to see people having fun

· []D [] []v[] []D
803 Posts
E85 does make more power, it's just not as efficient to burn. I agree with you though, politicians would most likely be more leinant.

uncbob, i agree with you to an extent, i think the enviroment is a just concern and sometimes it takes an extremist party to pull people towards the middle of the fence. The original groups that said, "global warming is not a concern" and " the hole in the ozone layer is no big deal" have finally said...."yep we screwed up". So the Enviromenal Freaks, if you will, are valuable to entice people towards the a less extreme "Anti" view.

· Registered
4,328 Posts
I am not aware of the no global warmimg no ozone groups making those statements about screwing up

In fact I have seen data just the oppsosie especially all that crap about freon bein released etc--Mt St Helens threw up a gazillion times more than all the cars aerosol cans to date etc etc

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
True, and if we hadent dumped as much freon and aerosol as we have in the past 15 years,, it wouldnt have mattered so much what Mt. St Helen did.
But we did, so that made what Mt. St Helen did that much worse..
Im not saying mother nature doesnt contribute, but we sure contribute to mother nature as well...
L.

· Registered
4,328 Posts
You obviously didn't read what I said about Mt St Helens

· I am Sean Connery...
8,819 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if I repeat some things but the SRT-10 will cease to be produced next year because EPA mandates that all vehicles must make 20mpg highway. On the up side, i read somewhere that there WILL be an SRT-8 truck with a 450-475bhp 6.1L hemi but this was based on the theory that Dodge does NOT do what I have previously seen reported. Dodge was planning on abolishing the 4.7L V8 and making the 5.7 the based V8 so that they could use the 6.1 as the upgrade. I guess time will tell what happens.

· []D [] []v[] []D
803 Posts
"The culprits destroying the stratospheric ozone are chemicals known as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and halons, which are produced and released into the atmosphere by human activity. Thesesubstances are very stable, and remain unchanged in the air for as long as a century." here is part of a few articles on these.

There is also support for what you said, too. However there is a HUGE split. As for emissions....yes they ahve damaged our air quality causing more cases of asthma....perfect proof, look at the perevelance among kids in schools that are closer to highways than those which are not.

there were scientist that said Global warming is not linked to pollution nearly 15-20 years ago....in the past 6 years many have acknowleged that it is infact linked to pollution and emissions. All in all...we can find data to support any view we would like to take.

· Registered
4,328 Posts

· []D [] []v[] []D
803 Posts
Moving towards a PM, lol....we are cluttering this thread.
1). e85 is not an answer for air pollution, which is a real threat.
2). We are following a natural warming trend, the concern is that it quite a bit higher than normal. (The problem is that we are basing this off of averages, So i agree it could not be as problematic as we hear mostly)
3). Cars are not to blame entirely, the removal of trees hurts some, too. However, this largest problem is that the damaged ozone layer is helping to kill off algae which give us most of our oxygen. This further stairsteps to air pollution, acid rain and forest damage. ( why is it damaged, perhaps because we fire SPACE SHUTTLES through it? Thats a theory. I dunno....i do agree with you about freon being culprit because it actually weighs 3x's more than air. technically it shouldn't get up there.)
Those are points that are of fact. The rest is going to flip every week like are eggs bad for you? Saturated fats are bad, so lets switch to Trans fats that are worse on 2 levels.

Good read BTW. And I am 100% serious. :)

· Registered
378 Posts
I just asked my buddy whos a salesperson at Gainesville Dodge about this and he said that the law is only a small reason why Dodge is discontinuing the SRT-10 Ram. He said what some have already stated about the law not being new. The main reason was do to the technology going into new vehicles. The SRT-10 motor was a 500hp engine, some of the new 6.1 SRT-8 engines are 425 hp and far more efficient, friendly and reasonably priced. I think the 6.4 is supposed to be even better. He said not to hold my breath but that there should be another 500hp engine released but it wont be a V-10. He said that he doesnt think that there will be anymore SRT ram releases for awhile, if any.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.