DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,299 Posts
I dont think youll see it anytime soon. The SRT10 Ram was discontinued because of the new law starting January 1st. The law states that any new vehicle sold starting January 1st must get at least 20 (I think thats what it is) mpg or better. The SRT10 was in the single digits. They (Dodge) are going to have a hard enough time as it is getting the 5.7 to achieve this much less the 6.1.

Come on everybody, wave bye bye to the horsepower!

Take your hand, hold it above your head, make a fist, and scream "Damn you Politicians!"

·
2,299 Posts
CRMRAM said:
Thats bullshit.I hate the fact that some old farts in a big domed building get to chose what I can and can't do to MY OWN PROPERTY!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
What you do to it after you buy it is a different story. :D

Thats why Im surprised Dodge doesnt sell an aftermarket tuner for their vehicles. They could make a butt load of money if they did. Im sure there are people who are hesitant to by an aftermarket tuner, because theyre worried about their engines and warranty. This would give those people the confidence and security to go buy one.

Come on Dodge, get with it!

Take your hand, hold it above your head, make a fist, and scream "Damn you Dodge!"

·
2,299 Posts
HemiRamOn22s said:
are u serious??

that really sucks. No more big engines in trucks.

Here ya go: http://www.lawdog.com/transport/cp2.htm

You can do a google search, it turns up tons of results about the new law.

For those too lazy to click on the link ;) heres what it states:

Corporate Average Fuel Economy
U.S. Federal law encourages the use of fuel efficient vehicles in a number of ways. The first important concept is that of Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). Manufacturers are required to meet certain mileage requirements on the vehicles which they manufacture. Separate calculations are made for passenger cars and the manufacturers choice of separate 2WD and 4WD truck categories, or "combined" trucks. Separate calculations are made for domestic (75 percent domestic content) and imported vehicles. These standards, which may be modified by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, currently are as follows:

Passenger Cars 27.5 Mpg
Combined Trucks 20.0 Mpg
2WD Trucks 20.5 Mpg
4WD Trucks 19.0 Mpg

Calculation is the same as for "labels" (see below), except that actual production figures are used in place of projected sales. The CAFE is the sales-weighted average of all model types sold. The final average is adjusted to account for changes to the test procedures since the base year. All tests run for labels or other purposes are included in the calculation At the minimum the manufacturer must conduct sufficient vehicle testing to cover 90 percent of actual sales by configuration. Manufacturers conduct vehicle tests at their laboratories, and the EPA confirms about 30 percent of the vehicles at the EPA lab.

The penalties can be substantial. The fines are calculated at $5 per tenth of mpg above the target for each vehicle produced. The fines are collected by NHTSA which can grant exemptions and alternative standards. Credits can be carried forward or back in time for up to three years to offset fines calculated in other years.

The statutory basis for the fuel economy law is Title 49 U.S. Code Chapter 329.

·
2,299 Posts
I voted for Ted Nugent! Seriously, I wrote it on the ballot next to "Other".

UNCLE TED! UNCLE TED! UNCLE TED! UNCLE TED!

·
2,299 Posts
mooseknuckle said:
How is GM getting the 6.0 and a 6.2 in their 1/2 ton trucks then. 367hp and over 400 for the other. That doesnt sound like 20mpg to me. More like 15...maybe.
The law isnt in effect until January 1st. Until then, its fair game.

·
2,299 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I wouldn't doubt that in 5 years trucks are putting out more than 350 HP and getting better gas mileage. That is the beauty of technology.

So then our tq gets shot to hell.

·
2,299 Posts
EZ4U2CHere said:
I think most of you arguing about the law missed the post mheideman posted. It's an "average" that is broken down by class, and IS NOT NEW.

Why do you guys think Chrysler and Dodge have classified the PT Cruiser and the Magnum as a truck? And Chevy lists their HHR as a truck???? And I'm pretty sure the Nitro is considered a truck too. :D

Also, the article I'm linking to has some pretty interesting facts.
http://www.colby.edu/economics/faculty/thtieten/ec476/Austin.pdf

the EPA has noted that between 1981 and 2003, average vehicle fuel economy changed very little (increasing from 20.5 to 20.8 mpg), while average horsepower nearly doubled (from 102 to 197), weight increased by almost 25% (from 3201 to 3974 lb), and 0-to-60 acceleration times fell by nearly 30%.

I must admit, I hate taxes just like everyone else, but I would rather have the option of paying a tax for a high performance gas guzzling vehicle, than not having the choice at all.

Its about time someone actually read what I posted. Do a google search on the "Federal Fuel Economy Law". Many many articles come up.

·
2,299 Posts
Heres a couple quotes from several different websites.

1) The new rules do not apply to passenger cars, which now must meet a 27.5 mile per gallon average.

2) The new rules apply to most new vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles from model years 2008 through 2011.

3) As of early 2004, the average for cars must exceed 27.5 mpg and the light truck average must exceed 20.3 mpg. Trucks under 8500 lb must average 22.5 mpg in 2008, 23.1 mpg in 2009, and 23.5 mpg in 2010. After this, new rules set varying targets based on truck size and class.

4) All SUVs and passenger vans would now have to comply with CAFE standards regardless of size, but some large pickup trucks and cargo vans would remain exempt.

5) Critics say the new standards could encourage automakers to build bigger trucks, potentially wiping out the promised fuel savings. That's because the standards set different fuel economy targets for different-sized light trucks.

6) Critics say the new standards could encourage automakers to build bigger trucks, potentially wiping out the promised fuel savings. That's because the standards set different fuel economy targets for different-sized light trucks. But if Hummer were to add two inches of track width and four inches of wheelbase to the H3, the vehicle's fuel economy target would drop by about 1 mpg.

7) The new standards for light trucks will take effect for the 2008 model year. Overall, they require fuel economy improvements of about 10 percent, to an average of 24 mpg in 2011.

8) In March 2002, Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and John McCain (R-AZ) introduced an amendment to the Senate Energy Bill that would have increased fuel economy standards for cars and light trucks to 36 mpg by 2015.

·
2,299 Posts
HemiRoy said:
..Who would have thought 15yrs ago that a smallblock V8 gas powered 3/4 ton quad cab long bed pickup truck would get 18~mpg 70mph hwy..

A 3/4 ton, quad cab, long bed, gasser, driving 70, getting 18 mpg!?!?!?! Maybe hitting the fuel economy reset button once your at 70mph, but not averaged for a tank of gas.

·
2,299 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
But in case you can't make it down there, here are a few videos for you:

Modded Cummins vs Chevy Half Ton
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/0/41e7222d-ceea-47fe-9819-984d00d46a31.htm

F350 4x4 on 37's (Let's see a gasser run this time with 37" tires!)
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/5/691631ee-9330-41f1-847a-b5ad48f46475.htm

10 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lelnxbibrEY

11 Second Diesel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ykEvqiw-_8

Last but certainly NOT least - a Cummins smoking a Viper. Show me a Hemi, GM or Ford gasser doing that -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI

Those vids are sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.