DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to build a 5.2 but need to know a few things(its for a 92 shortbed std cab 4x4 5 speed 3.92 gears ) not looking max Tq or max HP
strong balance
a 5.2 with AL heads, headers, mild cam, and M1 intake and MP PCM
will the pcm handle the setup and what kind of power should it be making
im not racing but but want to get some get up and go

other option is the crate hemi but im thinking it will not be cost efective
i have a little time to put it all together but my 3.9 is at 183,000 and using about a Qt oil every 1000 mile :mad:

·
Registered
590 Posts
*should* be no prob with that combo. i know of several Dakota owners running that setup.

drawbacks will be the trans, you have to specify man or auto when you get it. hard to say on HP, but you should be in the 250HP(crank) ballpark. only a dyno will really show what you are putting down.

·
Banned
95 Posts
The mopar pcm will be fine. The 92-95 computers are a lot more forgiving then the newer computers in dakotas. You should be a little bit over 300 hp at the flywheel with that set-up. The only time that I would worry is if you were to run a wild cam.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i was hoping to be a little over 300 HP like that
and a nv3500hd should handle it if i dont dog it badly
guess i ll start massing parts
any thing i seeem to be missing ?

·
Banned
95 Posts
So far that motor looks to be a good street/strip motor. I don't know the purpose of the truck, but seeing as how it's a 4x4, if you're making it an offroad truck I have some suggestions.

Try modding the beer barrel intake by cutting the intake runners shorter by an inch or two. You'll retain most of your low-end and make it better up to about 5 grand. If you don't like that, then you can go ahead and get an M1, no money lost besides for 2 gaskets and your time.

The KRC 206x cam is supposed to be a real good mild cam for the 318 that produces great torque and good hp numbers.

Get some 1.6 adjustable roller rockers while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to have a better valve train with a new cam.

Everything else looks solid though. Keep us updated :tup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
butcher_block said:
headers, shorties are OK (Eddies, Hedmans), though try to find a set of the MOPAR/PPH`s.

i would go with a set of 1:7`s for rockers and Crower springs and retainers for up to 6000 rpm`s and a rev kit. good insurance. socaldakota.com for best prices on Crower items, and a good idea on a cam grind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the heads would be Ed. al not mopar so they should come loaded right just need hardened pushrods
the truck is most all street some light towing and so far as off road some dirt or play in the snow
i like the thought of moding the keg first then M1 later sorta tring to do this low cost ish while im at it i ll be fixing the gasket like i did on the 3.9
i was wandering about the headers like who was good and if i should get them coated
thanks
butch

·
Registered
590 Posts
butcher_block said:
i was wandering about the headers like who was good and if i should get them coated thanks butch
yes, get the headers coated. i would search high and low for a set of MOPAR/PPH headers (a good alround set of mid length headers), ebay, craigs list, swap meets...socaldakota.com *should* be able to get you a new set

next on the list would be a set of Hedman, Gibson or Eddy shorties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i think last one least on this thread
how can i tel the differenct between 3500 and 3500HD tranys if im goin junk yard shoping then i want to know what to keep my eyes open for
thanks atgain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.