DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a rack and pinion on my '97 Mustang GT, and I had to disconnect the battery, and lock the steering wheel down so it wouldn't accidentally activate and/or damage the airbag and airbag switch. This got me thinking about my pickup. I am going to be installing new coil springs, shocks, and trac bar soon. I wanted to find out if there is any risk of accidentally deploying the airbag or damaging the switch during these mods? If so, how do you avoid?

I don't think there is, but I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Doesnt hurt to undo the battery when working on the truck, but you wont have any air bag deployments working in your suspension even if you leave the battery hooked up

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know, if the truck where to fall out of the lift and land on it's nose the bags may pop. (Just kiddin')

·
Registered
607 Posts
The issue you were avoiding on the Mustang was accidentally turning the steering wheel too far and chewing up the clockspring connector between the column and the airbag in the wheel, since it's the steering box/rack that limits the lock turns at the steering wheel (actually by hitting the stops on the axle uprights). What you're planning won't be any issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.