DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound silly but I read somewhere that if you have your exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires that the fumes will mess up the finish of whatever wheel its in front of. Also about 8 years ago on my dads truck he had his exhaust exiting in front of the tire on the passenger side and he always said that it messed up that wheel and in all honestly the finish on that particular wheel did look dull compared to the rest. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The emissions may have had something to do with back in the day.
I would just keep your wheels waxed and clean them up more often.
I think the angle of the tail pipe(s) are important also.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Yea, the lightnings have had no problems since Ford produced them. I see many trucks with side exits, just make sure its facing outwards and wont head towards your wheel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This is the 2nd RAM I've had the Gibson SuperTruck exhaust on and have never had an issue! Tires are good, paint is good, brakes are fine. No isssues!

·
Registered
294 Posts
No problems with mine.

Attachments

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know maybe it was just the cheap factory ford wheel at the time. It had a machined finish. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Fords that had the factory side exit exhaust(only a few years) have bad problems with rusted lugnuts on the rigth side rear only,also wheels had rust spots always on them which pitted them. The reason you dont see side exhaust on the last of the old style Ford trucks is because of this.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have the Split dual tips and they are kicked up toward the bumper. I have had this set up since new, almost 3 years and no issues. In the cold, when behind me, you can actually see the condensation dance around on the bumper. Its pretty cool. Point being, I know the exhaust is traveling up and around the bumper. I do keep it waxed often with every wash. I use the Eagle one (spray) wax as you dry. I use it on just about every surface on the exterior.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I think side exits look tacky. I had a old car with them years ago and a friend of mine told me side exits look like crap. I stood back and looked at it and said "You know...you're right!" I cut them suckers off the next day.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mullinax05 said:
I think side exits look tacky. I had a old car with them years ago and a friend of mine told me side exits look like crap. I stood back and looked at it and said "You know...you're right!" I cut them suckers off the next day.
same could be said about duals, single, dumped or any other configuration.
To each his own, whatever makes the owner of the truck happy.

·
Fireball!!!
1,049 Posts
I thought the problems were due to the amount of heat from the exaust, not the emisson/fumes..

·
Banned
26 Posts
I like more of the aggressive angle on the side exits like the 2000 cobra R. thus facing it more towards the rear wheels. just looks better that way. i would also put a slight downward angle on them as well..
i think your dad's truck had a lot worse emissions coming out of his truck causing the rims to darken much faster. just keep it clean it should be fine.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
I had a 4" slash cut exiting before my rear on my old ram and never had any issues. I just did the exhaust on my current truck and have two 3.5" slash tips aimed right at the rear again...you won't have any issues unless its a crappy wheel basically, or the truck is throwing god awful exhaust maybe aha
*pic of my old truck with slash tip pointed right at tire. (funny, Im just taking pics of my new setup today)*

Attachments

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seth505 said:
I just did the exhaust on my current truck and have two 3.5" slash tips aimed right at the rear again.(funny, Im just taking pics of my new setup today)*

Thats what i'm wanting to do with mine but just wanted to be sure noone else has had any problems. Could you post some pics of your new setup?

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
4xfreak said:
Thats what i'm wanting to do with mine but just wanted to be sure noone else has had any problems. Could you post some pics of your new setup?
definitely man, Ill get a bunch of pics posted tomorrow. My girl finally gave me her camera to borrow but I dont have the cable to connect it to the computer. I'll probably make a post tomorrow with all pics of my truck and show the exhaust.

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
seth505 said:
definitely man, Ill get a bunch of pics posted tomorrow. My girl finally gave me her camera to borrow but I dont have the cable to connect it to the computer. I'll probably make a post tomorrow with all pics of my truck and show the exhaust.

Thanks. Can't wait to see it. :rck:

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
heres mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Very nice!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status