DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys, i know that this is in my other thread about exhaust, but i wasn't getting a responce... so does anyone know if that turbo will fit on my truck? and what mods will have to be made?

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
If you have the turbo, check the base of each to see if they bolt up the same. You will most likely have to fab a new downpipe from the turbo outlet to the exhaust but once you are connected youre good. If you dont have the turbo yet, have the local NAPA look up the gaskets for each of the turbos. That way you can compare the size and shape of each for a few bucks. Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks, would the stock turbo out of a 99 be an upgrade from what i have? or would i just be taking a sideways step?

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Your 92 is a twelve valve, I think they ran smaller turbos. You would have to compare the size of the two housings. They are measured in cubic CM. Try looking over at the Turbo Diesel Registery, they might be able to offer more help. Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so i took a look at the turbo today... here are #'s
assy. # 3590104
Serial # c01379064
Customer # 3590105-04-08
Model # HX35W

the exhaust manifold mount is the same bolt pattern, but the connection to downpipe is different (as is the angle of the downpipe) do you think if i got the downpipe as well and just had it bent at a muffler shop that it would work? also, i noticed something on the intake side of the turbo that mine does not have, is is a wastegate? any help is much appreciated.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I'm not sure about the HX35W, but the HX35, HY35, and HX40 are internally wastegated. That means that as preasure builds on the compressor side (intake) it moves a valve that allows gas to eascape past the compressor (exhaust) and reduce boost. This means that you wont overboost the turbo and damage it. You may be able to unbolt the exhaust outlet elbow from your turbo and put it on the new one but again I cant vouch for the bolt pattern. Since you have them both in hand, try it and see. If you havent messed with the turbo assembly, the wastegate should not be affected as it is already installed and indexed to the turbo. DONT change the wastegate shaft length in an effort to get more boost!!!!! BOOM!
Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here's another option, lol. there is an upgrade fit for my H1C turbo from high tech turbo inc.

-STAGE III UPGRADE COMPRESSOR HOUSING AND 60mm WHEEL - 91-94 DODGE/CUMMINS
-$198.00 (housing and wheel only)
-For H1C, WH1C model Holset turbos
-This upgrade will convert your stock H1C or WH1C turbo into a H1C/H1E or WH1C/WH1E hybrid turbo. (This upgrade utilizes an 8 blade wheel and requires no machine work.)
This housing and wheel mounts to your stock 12 valve 1992-1994 (It only bolts directly to the 91 trucks that came equipped with air-to-air charge air cooler.) Your stock compressor wheel measures 56mm unless your truck is a one ton. This upgrade wheel measures 60mm.
No internal turbocharger modifications to your turbo are required.

does that sound like a good deal? and does anyone know if that is something that i can do myself?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.