DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 98 1500 and wanted 4.56 I have 33s IV herd some threads say that get more mpgs and some those lose any experience? Appreciate the help in advance

·
dodge :)
200 Posts
**** that dude. unless you can do it yourself, $1700 on 4.56 gears was not worth it. I went from stock 3.55s on 35s to 4.56s with 35s and I didnt notice a damn difference in mpg. that was my biggest concern. BUT my overhead mpg is what stayed the same. The computer still thinks it has stock tires. Meaning, Im actually traveling farther with a 35 than the stock 31, but the computer doesnt know. For example, I did a 230 mile trip once (mapquest), and my truck read it as only traveling 200 miles. So MAYBE it did increase the gas mileage, but I didnt notice my tanks lasting any longer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinkin about doin it myself but don't have a lot of experience with axles u think it would be difficult to do front and rear Axles?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's backlash?

·
200 Posts
I dont know what backlash is. Yeah I know a couple of people that have done it themselves, basically just take everything out and put the new stuff exactly as it was taken out. There are places that explain how to do it, like pavementsucks. You need time and patience. but be careful because the slightest bit off, and you could mess up some serious shit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya that's a big 10 4 rubbe ducky my friends say I'm mess it up well see

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i did see an increase in milage when i put mine in mainly due to needing less throttle to get up to speed also it doesnt kick in and out of od like it did with the 355's also i installed the gears myself but i have the tools and background of setup

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I saw more millage but I also could not use OD. I was running 3.55 factory with the 40" tires took so much pedal to get it moving changed to 5.13 and actually get better millage. I also still use a SkyJacker re calibrator to where my truck actually goes the distance it is really going and the speeds are perfect.

·
Registered
301 Posts
backlash is the play between the pinion and ring

-measured with a dial indicator.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Figuring it out on paper (mathematically) you will get worse gas mileage. -that doesnt take into account how/where you drive. Its just a ratio.

I lost mileage going from 3.55 to 4.56 on the highway. Around town I think it does a little better -with all the starts and stops but I never figured it out.

Im running 4.56's right now with 305/70/16s (33 equivalent)

·
Registered
63 Posts
are you running lockers in the front and the back or what i just got my truck has 11" of lift and 35 right now im going to put 38" tires on it when i get the money but it has a 4.56 detroit locker in the back and i have the 4.56 detroit locker for the front. i just have to put it in

·
200 Posts
if you drive on the road a lot i wouldnt put the locker in the front man i heard your steering is really stiff and tire wear starts getting goofy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im set on getting 4.56ers old reds gonna be my tonka toy anyway was the gears a day and night difference thats what im runnin now 3.55s they suck brochacho

·
Registered
63 Posts
what do i need to get when changing gears i have a 4.56 open in the rear of the truck now and they gave me a 4.55 that has a limited slip or some thing but i need a 4.10 can i get the 4.10 ring and pinion and put it on the 4.55limited slip. how do i know if that 4.55 limited slip will even fit in that axle. any i deal were to get a cheap 4.10. sorry i sound stupid in not rilly just don't know about the stuff that i need to fix. and if you know any one or any were that i can get the back half of a np231 transforcase let me know i have two transforcases and they are both cracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
A master install kit for sure and new axle seals would be a good idea too. I just put 4.10s in mine, im a pretty decient mechanic and i still had a trans and gear shop put em in bc they have to be precise otherwise you'll blow out your diff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.