DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the truck is at stock hight as far as i know. an i can get brand new 35 for insane cheap. also will they fit on a factory wheel as foar as width goes the tire is 10 inchis wide an idk how wide the factory wheels are. any help would be great. thanks in advance

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I agree, 100% correct.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with the others, 33's are the max on a stock 4wd Ram. I put 35's on my 01 Off Road Edition and while they did ok they rubbed at full lock. I'd stick with the 33's, I wish I had listened to the others on here when they said 35's will rub but I went ahead and bought the 35's anyways.

·
silver off road
293 Posts
They will fit, but dont turn the steering wheel!:D

·
silver off road
293 Posts
How do you find 35s insane cheap, cause i cant!

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Some clarification here.

Running 35's (assuming 35x12.50/17) on a stock Off-road Edition Ram will cause rubbing in two places.

1) On the control arms - this is not due to the amount of lift though, it is due to backspacing of the off-road wheels (5.25") and the width of the 35's. Change your wheels to one with less backspacing (like 4.50"), or install wheel spacers, and this rub will go away. Changing your lift will have no affect on this rub.

2) On the inside of the fenderwell down near the bottom on the door side. This is due to the amount of lift. An Off-road Ram is lifted about 2" over a stock Ram. I've seen Rams with 3" of lift that still rub 35's in that fender location, escpecially when flexing. This is going to be the rub that will prevent you from running 35's on a stock off-road

Also, as stated, there was no Off-Road ram in '97.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
what kind of tires come in a 35inch tall and 10 inch wide? i dont know of many mostly swampers. 10inch wide tires shouldnt run on the controll arm

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Nope. I know a guy who had 35x10 or 10.5, and he had no rubbing on the control arms with stock wheels. I think they were Swampers SSR's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they really dont make an offroad package till 2000? sorry guys the bed said sport offroad lol guess its not then. i have 33s on it already i think or 31s i would look but my trucks at the tranny shop since it decided to not move anymore. but it rubs already when i turn almost full lock. an the guy has them sittin in his barn never used an he said see if they mount an well work something out. so about 120 bucks an i can have them..all 4. but even then i will prolly need to buy rims for them to fit on.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
BUY THEM, and just keep them untill you can fit them. Have you found out what kind of tire they are

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Or buy them and turn them around on Craigslist. Make some money for something that you can actually install on your truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok wrong again their 35 by like 15 wide or something. but im gana get them either way ill just use them for motivation to lift it lol. i will need some 15s if anyone has some for sale.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Silver_DodgeRam does your 35" Toyo's rub on the control arms or does your Skyjacker suspension fix that? I have 35's on my 01 Sport and they rub on the control arms with a 2" leveling kit. I am just wondering because I think if I were to get 1" wheel spacers the tires would not rub at all but some here say they do more damage then they are worth to the bearing carrier.

By the way I know you have heard this before but your truck is awesome!

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Thanks.

Yes, they rub the arms, but these Skyjacker tubular arms make the rubbing less then it would be on the stock arms. As I said, the amount of lift is not what causes the rubbing on the control arms, its the backspacing on the wheels. These off-road rims are 5.25" of backspacing, and that just isn't enough to fit a 12.5" wide tire. A 1" wheel spacer as you mentioned might help, but you're right, that is harder on the hubs. It would be like having a backspacing of 4.25".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.