DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the MOPAR uconnect for the Big D.

I am not sure if I can do the installation since there are only pics... No instructions on how to take off the bezel etc...

Why is there a speaker with the kit??
Doesn't the sound come through the factory speakers??
I would hate to follow the instructions and end up putting the sound through this little speaker under the dash.

Anyone install this??
Is it hard??

·
Registered
724 Posts
The one from factory came built into the rear view mirror. That speaker I believe is actually your microphone. The bezel is easy to take off. Feel for two screws directly underneath the seat warmer buttons. After the screws are off, its kinda hinged on the top of the bezel. Just pull the bottom part of the bezel all the way up and it should pull out from there. Hope this helps. Does the U-connect require connections to the radio?

~Tony~

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a microphone as well. Mic is about 1" x 2". The speaker is about 4" x 3". Kinda large and has a place between the pedals and the steering column.

I THINK it may be for other sound, such as beeps etc... I hope it plays through the D speakers.

It does have a connection for the radio. The ghetto part is I have to cut a wire and splice it into an ignition wire. I figure for $299 retail that it should be plug and play. I don't mind doing any wiring, I just thought it should be more professional.

The MIC goes up on the driver's side of the overhead console. I don't know if callers will be able to hear other people in the car very well. I would want them to incase the call is for/from a passenger.

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:VHOT: MOPAR UCONNECT SUCKS!!! :VHOT:

The speaker it comes with does ALL the sound. I bought it thinking the caller's voice would come out of the factory speakers.
The ONLY thing the UConnect does is MUTE the car stereo.

Don't waste your money on this product. If you are willing to mute your own radio then you can save LOTS of money on a different hands-free module.

I assume the Factory UConnect (the one in the mirror) plays through the factory speakers, but maybe it has a speaker somewhere in the car?
Can anyone with Factory UConnect verify this???

Why doesn't Dodge allow this Factory option to be purchased/installed AFTER a vehicle purchase?? Crazy. :crazy:

BTW: The install was easy. Took a little bit of time (under an hour though) because the pictures made it hard to figure out where things went. AND this kit doesn't screw/bolt down to anything. It all sticks with double-sided tape. No wonder this kit fits SOOO many cars.

:VHOT:

I am tempted to uninstall this and sell it on ebay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dejavuuu,

You are correct about the factory vs the after-purchase Uconnect. The factory unit is made by Johnson Controls and the after-purchase one is made by another manufacturer, can't remember who. There was something about patent issues so they had to use two different setups. Not entirely sure about my last comment there.

The factory one uses the built in car stereo speakers and has a mike in the mirror w/ some control buttons to control the Uconnect funtionality.

I don't have this in my Durango, but my research and quest for piecing together a true factory Uconnect has lead me to the above info.

There seems to be 3 basic components to the factory Uconnect:

1) Uconnect mirror w/ mike and controls
2) harness that connects mirror to factory radio and Handsfree control module
3) Handsfree control module located inside the passenger side dash panel which is flush with the door when the door is close. When you open the passenger side door and then look at the side dash panel that was covered up by the door, that's the piece you have to remove to gain access to a little compartment which supposedly houses the Handsfree module. Part of the cover is underneath the rubber door seal IIRC.

The factory schematics indicate that the wiring harness that supports the Uconnect is built into all the Durangos. Guess what? Not true. I took my right side dash panel off and looked for the harness connection and it was not there.

Further verification of the missing connections/harness was when I disconnected the wiring harness to my factory radio. If the Uconnect harness existed from the factory, several pins should have occupied the Molex connector which, in my case, was totally empty. No wires for the Uconnect system existed in the Molex connector, although it could be added later if I had to build a special harness from scratch if I got the connectors to the Uconnect mirror and the Uconnect handsfree module from a doner vehicle.

Anyway that's where I'm at with that project. Now I'm just waiting for a salvage vehicle to pop up somewhere that has this apparently rare option in the Durango to donate those parts for me to use.

Any body else have similar experiences?

Thanks,

Willy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Uconnect Factory is installed!

I installed the factory UConnect in about 1-1/2 hours today. Installation is a snap!
· Disconnect the battery!!!!!!
· Remove the driver's side Windshield Pillar. The harness from the mirror snaps into a connector at the base of the driver's side windshield pillar.
· Next, remove the glovebox door by pulling off the string on the right side and flexing the tabs in carefully to unhook the back stops Install the Telemetrics module module to the kickpanel. The connector is there (all except for the base model car) for the module coiled in a loop and taped to the wiring bundle descending from above the glovebox on the kickpanel. Just plug in the Uconnect module and install it to the kickpanel's two predrilled holes with steel screws.
· Reconnect the battery, recalibrate the steering wheel and it works!

Parts needeed:
· Telematics Uconnect module part number is: 5064-013AH
· mirror part number is:04806228AB
· harness part number is:05089051AB
I bought all of my parts from makeitmopar
priced out:5064013AH $349. , 4806228AB $128.79, 5089051AB 27.03

It costs more to install the factory system, but the Navigation radio's screen shows roaming, signal strength, battery level, and phone number/caller ID.
An excellent Mod!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My May 2004 manufactured Limited 5.7L AWD did not have the harness built into the vehicle. I checked the connectors at the radio and the pins for the Uconnect did not exist in the connectors, nor the wires for those corresponding pins inside of the harness.

If your harness was already built into the vehicle, what did you do with the "harness part number is:05089051AB" ?

What is this harness for?

Is it basically the same harness from the mirror to the radio to the telematics module?

Or is it something else?

Thanks,

Willy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Technoteacher....

I saw that you posted this same message on a different thread... question... do you have a 2G Durango? In your profile it doesn't show one. Also, I referenced those part numbers and they are not showing up on makeitmopar as Durango specific. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I look on the compartment on the passenger side where the Uconnect module is supposed to be installed and did not fine any wires, but I never imaging looking behind the glove box and so on, so I will give that a try. If I understand you correctly the harness wire that needs to be installed, is the one that come from the driver pillar to the mirror control Uconnect. But what I don’t understand is the part of recalibrate the steering wheel?

Any Help

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.