DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title pretty much sums it up. Just wondering what you guys like about your 6.7's and why you chose them over the hemi?
What transmission did you choose and why?
If you dont mind maybe run thru a short comparison of pro's and con's between the two in your opinion?
Thanks guys. Im basically planning out what powerplant i want in my next ram so id appreciate the words.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have had one now for 2000 miles
Had an 05 5.9 and an 05 HEMI both 2500s
the 6.7 is much more powerful and the transmission is seamless

All in all my meanest truck so far. I would never go back

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The 6.7 auto is as fast stock as a mildly modded 5.9. My 08 ran 15.21 bone stock with only 600 miles on the odo. My 05 ran 15.16 with the Edge on 3, CAI and straight piped. Same basic truck, same track, same basic weather.
When you hook a trailer behind it you cannot even compare it to a 5.9

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The 6.7 didn't come out till 07.5. The 06 and 07's had 5.9's

·
Registered
351 Posts
On the positive side of things, I really like my 2007.5 6.7 for the engine power/torque, the 6-speed auto tranny, and the exhaust brake. However, on the negative side, I could certainly do without the after treatment system (particularly the DPF). Way too many CEL's and codes over the 1.5 years I have had my 3500. However, from what I've heard on DodgeTalk and other boards, it seems like once you get past the 2007.5 model, the CEL's & codes are not as much of a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my 6.7 its a 2007 and I havn't any problems at all it through codes steady for the first 10000 but im up to 25000 now and its been good I have not had it back to the dealer since I bought it. I don't think the hemi would like doing all the towing that I do and the two weeks that I drove one I spent more on fuel than I do in a month now.

·
Got Torque??
461 Posts
Title pretty much sums it up. Just wondering what you guys like about your 6.7's and why you chose them over the hemi?
If you dont mind maybe run thru a short comparison of pro's and con's between the two in your opinion?
Thanks guys. Im basically planning out what powerplant i want in my next ram so id appreciate the words.

Because of the seemingly endless amounts of power and torque. and a 6 Speed Manual because chicks dig it and i can control what gear im in at all times. but the autos sure have improved. there truly is no comparison between the Cummins and the Hemi

·
Registered
351 Posts
Oh boy, how much time do you have. ;)

As you can see in my signature, I first had an '07 Power Wagon with the HEMI. That was a wonderful truck with a good engine when it was unloaded. However, when a relatively light weight slide-in camper went into the bed, that engine went absolutely gutless even with the PW's 4.56 gears (not to mention the fact that the more off-road tuned suspension could not handle the weight of the camper even with air bags). I live in a mountainous area, and the HEMI couldn't adequately power the truck with a load in it going up a grade. Unloaded, I could power up the Rockies at 75 to 80 MPH no problem. When the camper was on board, I sometimes found it hard to maintain 45 MPH at times on the same grades with the pedal to the metal (and the mileage absolutely sucked as well).

We subsequently got the HEMI-powered PW traded in against a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with the 6.7, and man, what a total difference! Unloaded (but especially loaded), the 6.7 absolutely blows the HEMI out of the water for both torque and HP. No contest whatsoever! And the 6-speed tranny and exhaust brake are superlative. If you have any kind of a load to haul in the bed or towing-wise, do yourself a favor and stay away from the HEMI gasser. You'll get far more power & torque and with better mileage with the 6.7 CDT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts