DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to put my CD player in the '02 Ram tonight - it won't fit. I have an Alpine that was the full DIN size for the 94-01 trucks. No mounting kit required. Nice and neat. The rounded edges on the bezel/radio of the new trucks suck!

So, I'm looking for a new receiver, any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Budget................how much are you willing to spend.

2. Music tastes..........rap (yuck), Clasical (yeah right), country (yeee Haaaw),
Rock (not elvis either), .........

3. Are you installing or someone else.

1 - $300-$400
2 - Rock/Metal
3 - I'll install it. I've already had it apart, not much to it on this truck.

Thanks for any suggestions. I haven't looked at this stuff for a few years. I'm out of the loop! Really like my Alpine, but it's just not going to fit. I noticed you recommended a Kenwood form Best Buy, got a buddy that's a manager there...

Mike

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
"I noticed you recommended a Kenwood form Best Buy, got a buddy that's a manager there... "

Get him to buy the radio for you....................should be under $200 (thats how I got the one for my GF....(yes, even though I design this stuff I still gotta buy what I dont have.....)

Rock or metal = Sub in a sealed box with good power or vented box.....

Sealed is easier to build..........vented takes a little more care.

Sealed would be my choice.........better sound and power handling........but vented can be fun too (I know some tricks to make them work with the cars accoustic's)

Whos sub you gonna run, I can get you the box design and tell you how to build it....

That deck I recomended even has speaker and rca outputs..........so it can be a starter system to add to later. With the built in EQ its a start of a real system.......nice unit (GF thinks the rotating face color is cool to, it goes from on color to the next, something like 100+ differnet colors availible.......dont like red go blue, go pink if you want or even magenta...LOL)

Have fun and let me know if you need any help...............I used to live in MI so if you pay for my flight.....................LOL

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dracos,

What's your opinion of the Alpine CDA 7893, or the Kenwood KDC-X759. I like the rotary knob volume control. I know that's awful picky...

For now, I probably won't put any subs in it. I've got some 6x9 Cerwin-Vega's for the front doors. I think I need 6 1/2's for the rear doors. I wired my last truck for amps and subs, and never got around to putting them in after two years. I'm a slacker. Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Both are good choices..............go for it!!! I would get the Kenwood as they have a better sounding unit.......IMHO.

Get what you feel is the best unit for your use, your the one who gets to rock to it.........good luck, let me know if you need help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going with the Kenwood Dracos. Sounds like my buddy is going to get me a deal I can't pass up. It's not what you know, it's who you know, right? He's working again on Sunday, so I should have it rippin' by Sunday night! Thanks again for the advice.

Mike

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, installed a KDC-MP919 last night. Went right in without any trouble, now it's time for the door speakers. I'm guessing it's about the same set-up as the older Ram's, a couple screws and the push clips. Happen to have any insight? Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Wow the better one.......congrats good headunit.

Yep......few screws and clips....................make a MDF ring to mount your speakers in the doors. This will help make them sound good by lowering the door resonance. If you can get Dynamat or some other sound damping and seal the inner door skin. Put some Dynamat on the inside of the outter skin too.

Easier to use the factory wires, but you may benifit from adding new speaker cable, 16 guage is ok, 14 is better. All depends on how much you want to do.

Later, sounds like your havin some fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.