DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to see about repainting my srt10 hood (just one tone red) a few hours ago. I figured probably 200-300 inc tax & all. This guy repaired & repainted my passenger rear fender, where my stepdad accidentally scraped & dented it to bare metal in the driveway. Some of yall may remember the thread I made about it.

On the phone, before he saw it he told me $300 just for the hood OR $500 for the hood & to blend in the fenders. Told him I'd stop by & let him look at it. After a 30 min or so stop heres what we came up with. Both options inc taxes.

Option 1:
So for $500: I get the hood (top & underside of hood) & scoop painted (along with a few dents popped out that he noticed), blend in the fenders, grille painted (he said it looked like it was "1 stage (base & clear in 1 coat)" I believe), also get the eyelids repainted & cut (you will notice my eyelids come down past the top of the headlight, he will cut them where they are just on the top of the headlight).

Option 2:
For $600: All the above ^^^ plus get the whole front bumper painted. That includes the top bumper pad & the bottom bumper cover. The bumper cover is a plastic (maybe a mix of fiberglass as well) cover. A few years back I had smaller tires (planned on lowering it more) and I scrapped the bumper twice in like 2 weeks, a couple weeks after I had it painted. The scrapes are on the lower two side parts of the cover. It is scratched to the primer & has like a 2" crack on the passenger side.

I think I'm going to do the $600 option. That will get me the whole front end repainted. That will fix the clearcoat spot (about the size of a football now) & the dent on my hood, fix my eyelids which are cracking, my grille which doesn't have much clear on it & looks dull, my bumper pad & bumper cover that is scratched & cracked in several places.

So I can get the whole frontend painted for $600 inc taxes. Everything that is highlighted in white...

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the dent he fixed before a few years ago...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
That is a pretty good price actually. Your red is not a cheap color for paint alone. He may use maybe a half quart which would give him a full quart sprayable…

I'd go with the $600 as well.

Have him clear the entire truck, wet sand it and buff it to rid of all the orange peel! :)

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damage on my bumper cover...

I need to get a shot of the hood clearcoat peeling, its bad..,

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the front end gets painted, there's really only 3 other flaws that bug me. One dent in each door (very small, should be easy to pop out) And one small dent on my rollpan, sadly that dent is to the bare metal.

I may ask him how much more he'll charge to pop those door dents out. After it all gets painted, I think I may put on one of those black vinyl hood stripes.

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Option 2 sounds like a great plan.. I'd go for it!

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to get the scoop painted black like yours, but I think it would be cheaper to just get the vinyl. It would probably be 200 more just for that, I was afraid to ask..lol

I was planning on just the hood red, maybe $300 max...but doubled it...but I think its a good deal & it would fix the issues i have with the hood, eyelids & bumper cover. And if I get everything done at once, it would be cheaper than one at a time.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to ask him about that. Then I'd have to do the doors, then the bed, then the roof, etc..lol

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Changing the hood scoop to black may be additional charge. Check with a paintless dent repair to get the little dents out. Have the rear roll pan repainted too! :0)

Do you remember my hood on my SRT? I painted it myself. Did the black raised part. I think it would look good on your truck!

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I'm sure the black scoop will be extra. I'm thinking the vinyl will be a cheaper option.

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Yea I'm sure the black scoop will be extra. I'm thinking the vinyl will be a cheaper option.
It would be extra.. it's more labor and more material..
But it's worth having it painted if you want it done..

Now is the time to do it since it's being painted.. I would ask your painter about it.. it might not be much more than the vinyl, and it will look 100x better...

Weigh both options before committing to one.. paints not cheap, but what's going to make you happiest long term? And what are your long term goals for the truck..

·
Skid's Customz
2,020 Posts
id buy some srt-10 rims and do the paint job later. hahaha just kidding. do it all

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see what you tried to do there, I'd have some [email protected]$$ rims, but clear coat flapping in the wind...lol

The black scoop looks good. I think I'd be ok & happy with the vinyl, it should be cheaper & I can do it later when I have more money. The shop I'm thinking of having vinyl wrap my roof gloss black said it would be $125 inc labor for the roof. So I'm thinking it would be the same or a little cheaper for the hood scoop raise part. Another possible option...I've also seen the decal online for 70-80ish & I may be able to put it on myself. I've put on bed strips & other decals.

·
Skid's Customz
2,020 Posts

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm gonna wait till I get paid again this friday & give it some good thought and decide if I'm going to do it.

Got to get the Leds in first & theres still those headers I'm eyeballing. I got to make sure its the right choice, I won't have this kind of money until next returns time...lol

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
I'm gonna wait till I get paid again this friday & give it some good thought and decide if I'm going to do it.

Got to get the Leds in first & theres still those headers I'm eyeballing. I got to make sure its the right choice, I won't have this kind of money until next returns time...lol
Yeah i remember when i dropped my truck off and said id just paint the front end....:thatfunny

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt I'll paint the whole truck, money is holding me back...lol If I get the whole front repainted, all I'll have left is a few dents to get out & maybe repaint the rollpan. I really want to wrap the hood in gloss black...gawd it never ends..lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.